PDA

View Full Version : The War for Karak-Eight-Peaks

Glenn87
25-11-2011, 23:37
With the new 'Siege' book comming out next week, and giving rules for underground cave-fights, I've taken up an old Idea for a campain.

The War for Karak-Eight-Peaks.
Making tunnel-fights between Skarskin's Night Goblins, and Queek's Skaven. Also adding in the Dwarfs.

We've got some O&G players (including myself), some Skaven, and 1-2 Dwarf players.

Does anyone have some idea's that I could include in the fluff around the campain, or some ideas of how to include other armies??
(including Chaos or humans is pretty easy, they want the gold, Elves COULD work, but including things like Tomb Kings or Lizardmen might be tricky)

The Low King
26-11-2011, 00:38
The Lizardmen could be recovering an ancient artifact long thought lost but the battles have disturbed the runes hiding it. Or possilby protecting a focal point in geometric web/key point in the defence against daemons. Lord Mazdamundi is the slan that takes an active part in the world (i think) so saying he sent the force woulf make sense (maybe even say they used magical gateways to get here).

Alternatively it could be a force from the southlands recovering something found by the dwarfs (an artifact again maybe).

Tomb kings i know the fluff less well but maybe a revenge or recovery attack (time means little to these guys) after a raid by dwarf treasure hunters years back?

The bearded one
26-11-2011, 00:48
- chaos; stumbles in for the slaughter to be found and number of enemy champions to slay
- Empire; I do not recall where, but there are some references to the Empire loaning or hiring out regiments of statetroops to the dwarfs to fight in karak eight peaks. I believe one of such references is in the warhammer online backstory.
- Ogre kingdoms; mercenaries
- Bretonnians; there also exists a fluff reference to an army of questing knights planning to help out the dwarfs at karak eight peaks
- Wood elves; what? We don't want yer kind here! Perhaps suffering from far out raiding expeditions travelling through the skaven underways into Athel Loren, sent out from Clan Mors. The woodsies would be fighting this pesky annoyance at the source
- High elves; High elf seer predicted doom or something unless they fought there? A bit like 50% of all Eldar plots in 40K I guess. Perhaps they see an oppertunity in the confusion to reclaim some relics lost during the War of Vengeance (little do they know that the dwarfs virtually never take trophies. Instead dwarfs smelt 'em down and use whatever materials they can from them ;) They make things like beltbuckles from captured equipment, as they find the produce of other races to be shoddy at best). In addition they see this as a way to attempt to tentatively rekindle the old alliances with the dwarfs. Karl Franz might've talked 'em into it too, the smartmouth.
Tomb kings: Coming to reclaim some ancient artifact. There is a story in the TK book of a war between TK and dwarfs for centuries, because a dwarven hammer that the dwarfs reclaimed from the TK contains a single bronze disk that's property of the Tomb king. He's quite a cantankerous fellow..
Lizardmen; kinda the same, coming to reclaim ancient (gold) plaques that may have once in a distant past have been taken by Karak Zorn (dwarf hold in the southlands, contact has been lost long ago) and been moved to Karak eight peaks. There may have been some gold trinkets too, but they don't really care about those.
- Dark elves; erhm... slave labour? Rumours of the high and wood elves fighting there convincing them to go in order to stick it to their pesky 'good guy' cousins?
- Beastmen; there are lots of beastmen tribes in the vicinity of the world's edge mountains. Black fire pass is riddled with them.
- Daemons; they'll show up anywhere, just to be a pain in the ass.

Razakel
26-11-2011, 01:04
For clarity are you intending to re-enact the siege of Karak-Eight-Peaks (the centuries long war where the Dwarves were eventually defeated)?

Or are you planning a 'modern era' campaign where the hold now rests in control of mostly Skaven and Goblins.

The difference could be important if you want your campaign to go in the direction of the Dwarves marshalling a last stand within the fortress itself against an overwhelming number of Skaven / Greenskin attackers.

The Low King and the Bearded One covered all the necessary plot you'd need to explain why someone would be there, so I won't get into it. This sounds awesome btw please write some reports or make some videos and show us how the battles went.

michaells
26-11-2011, 02:18
- - Daemons; they'll show up anywhere, just to be a pain in the ass.

So true yet so funny

Brother Alexos
26-11-2011, 05:01
I think that as a twist for the Tomb Kings, they could've been unearthed by the Skaven in the southlands, and the Tomb Kings, waking up to some unholy rat-thing prying gold off of their bones, decides that the Ratmen must die. All of them. The TK are ancient, they have the time for it in their 'to-do' list.

Urgat
26-11-2011, 08:19
- Empire; I do not recall where, but there are some references to the Empire loaning or hiring out regiments of statetroops to the dwarfs to fight in karak eight peaks. I believe one of such references is in the warhammer online backstory.

The situation with Karak Eight Peaks is completely different in Warhammer Online, though. Imagine if there was a capital for greenskins, well, that would be it, and there you'd find the "everchosen"' of orcs. Skarsnik doesn't even exist in W:AR, skavens didn't get there, and dwarfs were exterminated to the last by the OnG.

Korraz
26-11-2011, 08:29
Other armies?
None.
You aren't GW. You don't have to find a harebrained reason so TK can come and play too.
I assume by "some", you mean "more than three", which would give at least 10 players. 10 players and three sides is more than enough for a campaign, believe me.

Urgat
26-11-2011, 08:33
Other armies?
None.
You aren't GW. You don't have to find a harebrained reason so TK can come and play too.

For a narrative campaign ("war of Karak 8 Peaks", as opposed to "here's map, there you go, conquer"), it's kind of nice to have a narrative part. Just saying.

Korraz
26-11-2011, 08:36
Which is exactly why you shouldn't hammer in armies that just don't have any business there.

rodmillard
26-11-2011, 09:37
On the other hand, you shouldn't stick rigidly to the fluff if doing so is going to exclude members of your group.

Undead (of either type) could have been entombed in the tunnels - intentionally or otherwise - and are being roused by the increased flow of death magic.

cornonthecob
26-11-2011, 13:32
Vampires are always on the look out for more corpses to raise as zombies, a gigantic underground war gives one a intention to be there.

Urgat
26-11-2011, 13:48
There's one reason that always works: during the war between the dwarfs, skavens and goblins, a giant block or warpstone is uncovered in a contested area. Mayhem ensues.

Glenn87
26-11-2011, 17:43
no, I don't HAVE to include them, but I HAVE to include the armies the rest of my playing group is using...and those are Lizzies, High Elves (2 of each) and VC.

Btw: I want to make a modern-day Karak-Eight-Peaks, where I would be fielding a NG army with Skarsnik, and would ask one of the Skaven Players to make a list led by Queek Head-taker. (of course only of his clan, with no other clan-stuff). I would need to read some of the Skaven Fluff first tough.

Haravikk
26-11-2011, 18:19
Tomb Kings aren't so hard to include, as Dwarfs hoard treasure, and Tomb Kings had a lot of valuable treasure stolen… so I think that's that one covered!

Technically lizard men as well; heck, any ambitious treasure hunter or treasure reclaimer would be happy to get stuck into looting a Dwarf hold while the occupants are distracted.

Urgat
26-11-2011, 18:30
Btw: I want to make a modern-day Karak-Eight-Peaks, where I would be fielding a NG army with Skarsnik, and would ask one of the Skaven Players to make a list led by Queek Head-taker. (of course only of his clan, with no other clan-stuff). I would need to read some of the Skaven Fluff first tough.

Why? Queek certainly buys Moulder stuff and hire Skryre and Eshin troops like any other skaven warlord, and there's no reason Pestilens pilgrims would shun him.

Baragash
26-11-2011, 18:31
Lizzies: being the Eldar of WHF, they could simply be there to manipulate fate. Or maybe some Dwarf explorers "liberated" a gold plaque in the past and now the stars indicate it's the best time to recover it.

High Elves: perhaps in order to settle ancient debts incurred as a result of the War of the Beard, the High Elves have offered to aid the Dwarfs.

Tomb Kings could also be on a recovery of treasure mission.

Brother Alexos
27-11-2011, 06:16
Okay, so the Lizardmen blasted a huge chunk of warpstone off of the Chaos Moon, and pretty much nuked the Dwarves, so you could always say there is a Slaan trying to re-sync the world by fixing the Dwarven Realm, as per the Old one's plans.

Also, I implore that you don't use the "We want our treasure back" for the TK. I don't mean to put anyone here down, I just feel that that is the lamest storyline ever. That was the only reason they came out of their tombs in 7th ed. Really, there was no other reason. It just rankles with me that a millenia-old race that learned how to animate statues and prolong lives, and conquer most of what is now the known world probably want to do other things than looking for their lucky Jersey out in the middle of someone else's domain.

rodmillard
27-11-2011, 11:21
no, I don't HAVE to include them, but I HAVE to include the armies the rest of my playing group is using...and those are Lizzies, High Elves (2 of each) and VC.

Lizardmen (with Tehenhuin): The Prophet of Sotek is leading his loyal warband in pursuit of the damnable rat-things.

Lizardmen (without Tehenhuin): The stars are right...

High Elves (with Eltharion, mostly Sea Guard list): The Warden of Tor Yvresse fears another goblin incursion is imminent, and has led an elite strike-force to crush the invasion at its heart.

High Elves (with Alith Anar and/or Shadow Warriors): A party of Shadow Warriors on a secret mission from their homeland have discovered the sinister machinations of the Skaven, and summoned aid from Naggarythe.

High Elves (neither): Though he would be ashamed to admit it, the dwarf lord of Karak Eight Peaks once saved the life of an elven noble. The time has come to call in that debt.

Vampire Counts: Centuries ago, the dwarves of Karak Eight peaks fought a bitter war against the forces of Count Malys von Carstein. Lacking the magic to destroy him utterly, their miners collapsed a section of the tunnel complex, entombing him (as they thought) forever. But now the fighting in the tunnels has brought a fresh wave of death magic to the tunnels, together with a plentiful supply of corpses...

Francis
27-11-2011, 11:55
Drop the Karak Eight Peaks storyline and set the campaign in the Badlands, Border Princes or Dark Lands. There are plenty of opportunity for underground battles at all of these locations (Cairns, mountains, O&G strongholds, skaven lairs, minor dwarf holds and in the case of the Badlands the fortress of Nagash himself as well as Karak Eight Peaks.) and best of all, you don't have to explain how the lizards, helfs and TKs got lost in the World Edge Mountains. Case solved.

Glenn87
27-11-2011, 14:18
Why? Queek certainly buys Moulder stuff and hire Skryre and Eshin troops like any other skaven warlord, and there's no reason Pestilens pilgrims would shun him.

Yeah true...but then maybe include the old 'mainstay' rule from the 6th book.

You need a clanrat unit for every unit from another Clan. (aka if you have a Plaguemonk unit, a unit of Rat Ogres and a Warpfire cannon, you need to have 3 Clanrat units).

Just to make it a little more fluffy

The bearded one
27-11-2011, 14:29
The old mainstay rule was that the number of clanrat units you had, was the number of multiples you could take of other units.

3 units of clanrats meant you could take a maximum of 3 rat ogres units, 3 plaguemonks units, 3 slave units etc., but you did not need 1 clanrat unit for every other unit in the army.

Malark
27-11-2011, 19:50
Yeah true...but then maybe include the old 'mainstay' rule from the 6th book.

You need a clanrat unit for every unit from another Clan. (aka if you have a Plaguemonk unit, a unit of Rat Ogres and a Warpfire cannon, you need to have 3 Clanrat units).

I think you're being too rigid with the fluff there.... just let them bring whatever they want, it's not like their skaven are painted like clan Mors to be an accurate re-enactment! It's been established that Clan Mors has such vast wealth than it can practically acquire, hire or bribe just about anything.

Also, Queek doesn't even need to be in their army list; sure he's made a name for himself thanks to Karak-Eigh-Peaks, but in the end he's just the right hand of Warlord Gnaldwell (the true master of Clan Mors). It's been mentioned that the City of Pillars is used as a proving ground for chieftains and warlords alike. Heck, even the Skaven can fight amongst them, there's a warlord clan that was nearly anihilated by Mors in the past and vowed to take revenge upon them (forgot the name but its in the Uniforms & Heraldry book, I'll check it later on and post it).

Gorbad Ironclaw
27-11-2011, 20:17

What could be more fluffy than ruthlessly sacrificing other clans precious troops in a bid to further your own ambitions?

Kal Taron
27-11-2011, 22:29
I wasn't aware of any Lizardmen presence in the Border Princes but for the rest it makes things far easier that's true.

The Low King
27-11-2011, 22:37
Drop the Karak Eight Peaks storyline and set the campaign in the Badlands, Border Princes or Dark Lands. There are plenty of opportunity for underground battles at all of these locations (Cairns, mountains, O&G strongholds, skaven lairs, minor dwarf holds and in the case of the Badlands the fortress of Nagash himself as well as Karak Eight Peaks.) and best of all, you don't have to explain how the lizards, helfs and TKs got lost in the World Edge Mountains. Case solved.

Thats just so standard though, and more suited to a map based campaign than a story based one.

Having it in Karak Eight Peaks is much more interesting if you can get it to work