PDA

View Full Version : Tactics for a Tomb Kings All-Shooting Army

vinny t
26-11-2011, 15:08
Has anyone had any experience running one of these? If so, how do you win with it? On paper, it seems to be pretty situational, but I have heard good things about it. For those who don't know, the TK shooting list seems to be:

High Liche Priest/Khatep to ensure bubble smiting
Liche Priest usually with light for protection but I have seen some with death to try and bubble off Soulblight for a nice -1 S and T for everyone around

Bunch of Archers, usually 4-5 units of 10, and 2 bigger units
Maybe a unit of chariots, but not in a pure shooty list
At least 2 units of Horse Archers for redirect and scouty shenanigans

1-2 Units of Bowshabti. Usually in units of 4, but sometimes units of 6
At least one unit of Stalkers

Casket
Hierotitan
2 Catapults

So, with this sort of list, what kind of tactics would you use against a variety of opponents? Keep in mind that this is not a Khalida archerstar type of list at all, and seems to rely on a lot of different things to perform well.

cyberspite
27-11-2011, 10:22
Over on Heelanhammer they got an interview with the guy who won throne of skulls with shooty tomb kings. Basically 1 huge unit of archers (like 90 odd) with khalida, flaming banner and some other characters, casket, 2 sphinxes and some other stuff just to protect the archers.

Wouldn't be much fun outside of winning tournaments, but from the sounds of it as long as you can hold stuff off the archers they will pretty much destroy a unit each turn.

RealMikeBob
27-11-2011, 10:53
Maybe a unit of chariots, but not in a pure shooty list

Do chariots not come with bows?

cyberspite
27-11-2011, 15:14
Note to self - 'read posts thoroughly before posting' :rolleyes:

vinny t
27-11-2011, 15:53
haha, not a problem. I have had some experience with a Khalida army and I found it to be extremely point and click. I want to move away from that style of play, and it seems like there are many shooting options in the TK book that nobody utilizes. This post is to kind of see if anyone has had any success with this sort of list, adn what tactics they used to achieve that success.

@RealMikeBob- Chariots do come with bows, however, they seem to work best in clearing out small units and doing damage on the charge. In a shooting list, they really don't serve as large of a role as in a traditional TK list. However, if you have been using them in a shooty TK army and they have been working for you, keep going for it! I would love to hear what tactics you use with chariots in a shooting-heavy list.

colonel kane trine
27-11-2011, 17:02
I found the shooty list boring to use. Bow ushabti havent been good to me I had so much bad luck with ushabti!
Im still trying to work out my theme of choice for tomb kings.

Next up to try is a settra chariot list for me

RealMikeBob
27-11-2011, 18:29
@RealMikeBob- Chariots do come with bows, however, they seem to work best in clearing out small units and doing damage on the charge. In a shooting list, they really don't serve as large of a role as in a traditional TK list. However, if you have been using them in a shooty TK army and they have been working for you, keep going for it! I would love to hear what tactics you use with chariots in a shooting-heavy list.

Afraid I'm not a Tomb Kings player, but I recall being shot by chariots before. Just wanted to be sure my memory was not playing tricks on me. It seems to me that in this situation you can have your cake and eat it; having a theme of focussed shooting while legitimately being able to include a decent combat unit as well. Perhaps focus on weakening a unit with shooting, then smashing the remains with the chariots?

Spiney Norman
27-11-2011, 21:09
Sorry to bring a negative opinion to the table, but if you're wanting an all shooty army then Tomb Kings are really not the one to choose. There are a few armies that do all shooty very well (Empire, dwarfs, wood, high and to a certain extent dark elves), but TK are not among them. TK can utilise a strong shooting component, but they generally don't generate enough firepower to wipe out the enemy army before it crosses the table, and TK archers are among the worst combat models in the game.

Trains_Get_Robbed
28-11-2011, 06:00
I find this idea to be absurd, any decent general worth his salt would/could tear a 'shooty' T.K list to shreds. In the end its just strength 3 shooting, and can easily nullified. Thus, Imo agree with the few posters above.^^^

Pulstar
28-11-2011, 13:32
I find this idea to be absurd, any decent general worth his salt would/could tear a 'shooty' T.K list to shreds. In the end its just strength 3 shooting, and can easily nullified. Thus, Imo agree with the few posters above.^^^

It's not just STR 3 shooting.

It's STR 3 shooting that can be flaming, poison, always hit on 4+, muiltshot, backed up by T8 monsters, and magical/flaming war machines.

The stuff that str 3 shooting can't hurt, are prime targets for the casket. Things that get close can get a Sphinx in the face.

That ToS Khalida list was great. A prime example of what a shooty TK can do. A big unit of archers, 2-3 sphinx, casket and two SSC, with a dash of scouts/redirectors and you have the base for a magic gun line.

Skywave
28-11-2011, 16:58
Sorry to bring a negative opinion to the table, but if you're wanting an all shooty army then Tomb Kings are really not the one to choose. There are a few armies that do all shooty very well (Empire, dwarfs, wood, high and to a certain extent dark elves), but TK are not among them. TK can utilise a strong shooting component, but they generally don't generate enough firepower to wipe out the enemy army before it crosses the table, and TK archers are among the worst combat models in the game.

I don't think it's about getting the ultimate shooty list in Warhammer, Tomb Kings wouldn't be the first choice for that obviously, but more about using the Tomb Kings in a shooty way, because they have the options for doing it.

The Archers are S3, but it's far from the only shooting the list can get. Ushabti have S6 long bow that can multi-shot with a spell, the Colossus got a S6 balista option, you have Catapults with magical flammng attacks, plus the Stalkers who aren't bad themself with their shot that ignore armour. And the Casket, while not a true shooting attack, can put some presure on it's own in the magic phase and can wreck anything not in the general bubble.

@Vinny T - I would swap the Titan for a Colossus with a bow in that kind of list, along some Ushabti, they both make great back fielder against those that want to flank your Archer and should be hard enough to protect you from scout/fast cav. Plus if you can find room for a Sphinx or two, that'll be even better (they can still shoot with the breath weapon so they fit in :p).

Trains_Get_Robbed
28-11-2011, 17:54
It all the high strength hits on 5's, and all the low strength hits on 4's. It can all be negated by being in combat. It's not threatening.

Lebowski
28-11-2011, 23:21
Don't play TK personally, but I have an opponent who regularly fields a similar list.
He is dedicated to it, but its been 7 games in and one victory against a 1st time O&G player.

I am not sure what the problem is. On paper it looks great on paper, but it has not worked out for him.

Skywave
29-11-2011, 02:43
It all the high strength hits on 5's, and all the low strength hits on 4's. It can all be negated by being in combat. It's not threatening.

And that's true for any gunline army :)

Spinocus
29-11-2011, 20:06
Tactics? Aside from the obvious bring plenty of re-directors and cast copious amounts of Ptra's Incantation of Righteous Smiting. Be warned, any opponent that sees a shooty TK army on the table knows that you're going to throw a crap ton of power dice at the boosted version of Ptra's Incantation of Righteous Smiting and will plan accordingly.

Khalida is a no-brainer in a shooty TK list but her inclusion also restricts what else you can take as your Lords selection. It kind of ruins the fun knowing you have to take a 300 - 400 point Lord and a massive block of archers in order to maximize your list's shootiness.

Yes, chariots get two bow shots per model now thanks to the fact that there are two Skittles Warriors listed on its profile. Two shots per chariot is nothing to sneeze at, especially you've got a block of 6 or 8 chariots augmented with Ptra's Incantation of Righteous Smiting... :evilgrin: As Vinny T mentioned, they're a nice way of taking out small units or softening up an enemy unit for a turn while your chariots maneuver into position for the charge. Lightly armored T3 units beware!

The worst aspect of TK BS based shooting is that they cannot opt for a 'Stand & Shoot' reaction, all they can do is 'Hold'... major bummer.

hanrahandh
28-01-2013, 15:24
I found the shooty list boring to use. Bow ushabti havent been good to me I had so much bad luck with ushabti!
Im still trying to work out my theme of choice for tomb kings.

Next up to try is a settra chariot list for me

Did anyone else find settra to be alot worse in the new list? I tried him once and was very disjointed.
Arkhan is a decent fighter and will also rip apart any other character/army with death magic... plus his chariot can FLY

Morgion
29-01-2013, 01:48
I love TK shooting. You can multi-shot through your own units at max range after moving and still hit on 5+. Make use of that. Put some skittles in the way for hard cover and blockers in case they get too close. They can't overrun unstable, so even in death they might buy you some time. I prefer to have a titan to a colossus. If you're shooting, he's just too unlikely to hit and the titan's bonus to casting will force more dice to be committed to dispelling. Titan also provides a wider selection of spells in case you have a bad casting phase.

Casket is a must. Extra power dice give you an advantage and that thing eats war machines, monsters and small to medium sized units. All my friends save enough dice to dispel it ever since it ate the gorgon. I know this all isn't very shooty, but it's not going to be long before your opponent just starts dispelling righteous smiting and crippling your shooting phase.

After that though, it's just flooding out archers. maybe chariots up the middle to smash anything that gets ambitious. 6 bowshabti with smiting could be used to pick off lone characters or defend from ambushers. stalkers popping up behind can be good against war machines or just wreak havoc and maybe delay your opponent a turn or two.

Von Wibble
29-01-2013, 17:57
Did anyone else find settra to be alot worse in the new list? I tried him once and was very disjointed.
Arkhan is a decent fighter and will also rip apart any other character/army with death magic... plus his chariot can FLY

I'd say Settra is way better in the new list.

Don't put him in a unit. Have a colossus to his left and right and a unit to their left and right. All of them use his WS (and with the bonus attacks that's nasty on a colossus). I'd say he's best left out in games below 3000 points though.