PDA

View Full Version : Which one looks more like a clone gunship from star wars?

The Lion's Shade
26-11-2011, 17:20
Which one looks more like a clone gunship from star wars;

-a Valkyrie

-or a storm raven gunship

NixonAsADaemonPrince
26-11-2011, 17:27
Stormraven every time. If you fill in the space where the Dread is supposed to go and remove the tail fins, you're a basically there.

Actually, that's probably what whoever designed the Stormraven was drawing inspiration from.

TheConverter15
26-11-2011, 20:41
Yeah storm raven, but Valk is extremely close

LonelyPath
27-11-2011, 00:21
Yep, Stormraven.

AndrewGPaul
27-11-2011, 00:36
Neither of them are particularly similar, but the Stormraven is a closer match? really? I don't see it. The Valkyrie is more similar, to me.

Kakapo42
27-11-2011, 00:40
I actually have to disagree with a lot of the previous posters. The Valkyrie looks infinitely more like the clone gunship, with the same cockpit layout, engine configuration and very similar wings. in fact all you'd need to do is add a second multilaser to the other side and remove the tail and it'd be virtually identical.

Dylius
27-11-2011, 15:02
I thought Valkyrie, too.

sroblin
27-11-2011, 15:15
I too would lean in favor of the Valkyrie.

On one hand, the Valkyrie has a very lean fuselage, just like the Republic gunship, whereas the Space Marine ship is FAT. On the other hand, the wing and engine nacelle configuration of the Stormbird and the Republica gunship are nearly identical, whereas the twin tail-boom configuration of the Valkyrie is distinctly different.

For me, the slenderness of the Valkyrie is more visually important in its similarity to the Republic gunship, but the advocates of the Storm Bird do have a significant point about the similiarities in the wing/engine configuration.

Kakapo42
28-11-2011, 00:41
Don't forget, the Valkyrie also has a 'double bubble' style cockpit (albiet a very angular one), the same layout as the Republic gunship.

Sildani
28-11-2011, 02:36
Neither, really. The Gunship is curved and streamlined to a degree while the Valk and Raven are angular and covered in rivets. Only in very general arrangement does either Imperial flier resemble the Star Wars ship.

If you want one on the table, best to find a Gunship toy on eBay.

chromedog
28-11-2011, 05:29
On one hand, the Valkyrie.
On the other, neither.

The LAAT/i (Republic gunship) has a transport cap of THIRTY models, not 10, not 12 - and is more the size of a Thunderhawk (I have seen a 28mm scale version of one (LAAT/i) for sale for around $480 and it was almost 2' long.

Forsworn
28-11-2011, 14:46
The Thunderhawk (which came several decades earlier, btw) is your answer. Though considering the time frame, I'd say that it's the other way around. The Gunship looks like a Thunderhawk.

AndrewGPaul
28-11-2011, 15:10
No it doesn't. The LAAT/i doesn't have a drooped nose, the wings are mounted on the upper fuselage not the lower, it only has two engines, no tailplane, no canards and no auxiliary moveable wings and it doesn't mount a huge dorsal gun. The gunship from Star Wars looks like an unholy mashup of a Hind-D and a huey, with other changes.

Lexx108
30-11-2011, 14:13
Stormravens got my vote