PDA

View Full Version : GW official models overide Customs?

Boris420
26-11-2011, 19:57
For instance, the GW Ork Battlewagon is generally used now, but beforehand things like Leman Russ's, Landraiders and vehicles cobbled together by pure imagination were used. Same with Ork trukks unless you still used Gorka-Morka versions. Once the new models are released, everyone expects you to use those versions. Is it still fair to use custom built models with dimensions differing from the official versions? Do tournaments still allow customs?

p.s.-i understand many races use proxies for models with no official model from GW, I'm just talking about the ones you would use before an official version arrives. (new necron walker comes to mind, until the official, if there is going to be one, is released. I think we will see interesting customs, but will they still be legal to use in tourny settings if/when an official version of the model comes out?)

Grimtuff
26-11-2011, 19:58
In what universe do people think this is true?!?!? :confused:

ashc
26-11-2011, 19:59

my thoughts exactly!

Sami
26-11-2011, 20:11

See: converted Venoms vs actual Venoms.

When using custom models in tourneys - even if based off other GW models - you're still better off asking for permission if the custom model varies greatly in size from the official one. Some people get VERY upset about "perceived modelling for advantage". In friendly games it is of course between you and your opponent, and normally the rule of awesome applies (i.e. if the conversion looks awesome then use it :D).

Grimtuff
26-11-2011, 20:34
See: converted Venoms vs actual Venoms.

When using custom models in tourneys - even if based off other GW models - you're still better off asking for permission if the custom model varies greatly in size from the official one. Some people get VERY upset about "perceived modelling for advantage". In friendly games it is of course between you and your opponent, and normally the rule of awesome applies (i.e. if the conversion looks awesome then use it :D).

Yes, but there is no compulsion for the player from GW or any other source to purchase the actual model. No-one is forcing you to use the official models if and when they are released.

Or maybe this is how GW plans to actually sell Tervigons to Nid players... :rolleyes:

zerodemon
26-11-2011, 20:38
There's no "rule" against using converted models. As long as the model fits in with the army (so you're not using a Necron Monolith to represent a Land Raider) and the rule of WYSIWYG applies, you're fine.

Marzillius
26-11-2011, 21:51
If the converted model deviates very much from the official model, it is usually called converting for a gameplay advantage. If it's a friendly game, you and your opponent must come to some kind of agreement. If it's a tournament, the TO decides.

And GW models override custom models.

LonelyPath
26-11-2011, 22:02
For instance, the GW Ork Battlewagon is generally used now, but beforehand things like Leman Russ's, Landraiders and vehicles cobbled together by pure imagination were used. Same with Ork trukks unless you still used Gorka-Morka versions. Once the new models are released, everyone expects you to use those versions. Is it still fair to use custom built models with dimensions differing from the official versions? Do tournaments still allow customs?

p.s.-i understand many races use proxies for models with no official model from GW, I'm just talking about the ones you would use before an official version arrives. (new necron walker comes to mind, until the official, if there is going to be one, is released. I think we will see interesting customs, but will they still be legal to use in tourny settings if/when an official version of the model comes out?)

Ummm.. .what?

Lord_Squinty
26-11-2011, 22:02
If the converted model deviates very much from the official model, it is usually called converting for a gameplay advantage..

Only if its stupidly different to the original and gains some in-game bonus due to its differences.

And GW models override custom models.

Since when?

AndrewGPaul
26-11-2011, 22:20
If the converted model deviates very much from the official model, it is usually called converting for a gameplay advantage.

It can be called that. On the other hand, unless it's true, claiming something is "converted for a gameplay advantage" is usually called "being a jerk".

This is one of the (many, many) things that really shouldn't be considered on a global basis. Some people or groups have different opinions on the matter. If you wish to get along with a certain group, you either need to go with the flow or convince them in person. Coming on a forum and complaining to strangers isn't going to help.

zoggin-eck
26-11-2011, 22:45
Once the new models are released, everyone expects you to use those versions.

You are actually being told this by people you play against, or are you just guessing based on some unknown person on the internet? Hardly "everyone" :)

I think you're too hung up on getting and answer for "tournament legal", which doesn't exist anyway. You need to ask individual tournament organisers, who won't care when people cry "but a warseer poll said this model would be OK".

Some people get VERY upset about "perceived modelling for advantage"

Easy, don't play against them!

Sami
26-11-2011, 22:58
Easy, don't play against them!

Difficult at tourneys. For friendly games, anyone being an ass over a good converted model can go find somebody else to play. Unless the good converted model happens to be a Baneblade converted into a Wagon (with deff rolla), in which case we might pretend the width of the model is a bit narrower ;)

Archon Deloth Vyrr
26-11-2011, 23:08
What it really comes down to is: does your conversion give you an advantage you otherwise would not have with the actual model?

Prime example is the Battlewagon. People converting these from Landraiders, or even worse, Baneblades have an automatic advantage once they stick their Big Mek in the oversized wagon due to the much larger range of the Kustom Force Field.

In this case I, any most tournament organizers in my area would have a problem.

Godzooky
26-11-2011, 23:28
From the title I thought this thread was about HM Revenue & Customs turning a blind eye to any international Games Workshop orders.

If I'm honest, I'm disappointed it's not. Might have been interesting...

I bid you good day... :shifty:

susu.exp
26-11-2011, 23:41
What it really comes down to is: does your conversion give you an advantage you otherwise would not have with the actual model?

Prime example is the Battlewagon. People converting these from Landraiders, or even worse, Baneblades have an automatic advantage once they stick their Big Mek in the oversized wagon due to the much larger range of the Kustom Force Field.

In this case I, any most tournament organizers in my area would have a problem.

On the other hand a bigger footprint means more difficult Terrain tests and thus more opportunities to get stuck. Not to mention less possible lanes to drive down. Of course this requires an adequate ammount of terrain, but if you actually follow the 25% rule, bigger is usually a disadvantage even with "auras" (CFF, FNP bubble, etc.).

Boris420
26-11-2011, 23:50
Thanks guys, I just wasn't sure what the average joe would think of this situation. Sometimes I use a Leman Russ as a Battlewagon, but I'll get flak for it here and there. Most prefer to treat it as a Looted Wagon with Boomgun but I like to use it as a BW with Killkannon. Thus it's small size correlates to the 12 orks inside, rather than people thinking I'm trying to pull off a clown car effect with 20. Even I have problems with that...