PDA

View Full Version : Re-organizing my Dwarves for 8th Ed.

Olja
26-11-2011, 22:06
I haven't had a chance to play 8th edition yet. My group wants to start playing again and I need to re-tool my Dwarf army. I just have a couple of questions:

1. UNIT SIZES how big should my units be? These are the units I have; 20 warriors with hw/shields, 20 warriors with double handed weapons, 20 Longbeards with hw/shields, 20 Crossbows, 20 Handguns. As and end note I may not use the warriors with shields because of the new armor rules.

2. RUNESMITHS How many do I need? I have two but that was for the old magic rules. Are they as effective?

Thank you for any responses in advance. :)

PKPioneer
26-11-2011, 23:12
Go horde or go home for warriors IMO. I've been running the dwarfs with great weapons at 50 strong for a while now and it hits like a truck. I also run 25 longbeards 5 wide as they don't like to die, and their weapon skill helps a ton for that. Honestly it has alot to do with your play style. Some people prefer to castle in a corner and shoot the opposition for multiple in which smaller units are better to save points for more shooting, while others prefer bigger combat oriented lists. Either way works.

The best way I would run what you have are:

40x Warriors: GW, F/C (10*4)
20x Longbeards: Shields, F/C (5*4)
20x Quarelers: GW, Rangers, F/C (5*4)
20x Thunderers: Musician (10*2)

You would need to change out your HW/S dwarfs for great weapons but they are totally worth it.

Hope it helps :)

Order_from_Chaos
27-11-2011, 00:51
Right now my dwarfs run 2 x 30 man warrior blocks with GW and a 30 man block of hammerers with the MroGrungni (5+ ward against ranged for all dwarf units within 6"). 2 organ guns, 3 grudge throwers, 2 cannons and an anvil of doom with MroBalance.

To answer unit sizes I would never take a unit less than 30 when I run my warriors that big I run them 5x6 for steadfast and that works decently although I am going to drop a couple war machines for 2 hordes of 40 dwarf with great weapons because that is a force that is uber tough and killy.

I wouldn't bother running any sort of missile troops such as quarrellers or thunderers since any shooting based on BS is basically worthless and in all the games i used both unit types I never made back my points... ever! That being said units of 10 thunderers for a little punch would be the most effective missile troop.

I also would take Hammerers instead of longbeards since they have the same stat line, are stubborn, and are str 6 with their great weapons. Run them in a horde and they smash through everything quite easily (especially when softened up by warmachines)

As for magical protection a single runelord with the anvil of doom and MroBalance with a rune of spellbreaking is usually enough for me to shut down the magic phases of all but the best casters and even then they only get a spell through. This combo gives me +4 dispel dice and -1 to their power dice... pretty sweet. If you didnt want an anvil a single runelord with mrobalance and 2x rospellbreaking would suffice (i'm personally thinking of doing this myself since the anvil is overkill)

Thats just my opinion. Sorry that was so long hopefully this helps lol.

cheers

russellmoo
27-11-2011, 04:54
Double every unit except the thunderers-

Get as many great weapons on the table-

So 40 great weapon warriors
40 LB's
40 Crossbows with great weapons- if they aren't set up this way- just get some axes and strap them to the models backs-

Warmachines are good-

Runesmiths are still necessary- a runelord might be better as it is easier to put the Master rune of balance on him, while still making him durable-

Razakel
27-11-2011, 06:51
I agree with the other responses, units of 40 with great weapons are cookie cutter these days. About Runesmiths, it's really difficult to say, in a game of 2k or less you can probably get away with one, but any higher than that and you may want two (or a Runelord). Also Dwarves no longer get +2 dispel dice, instead you get +2 on all attempts to dispel, Runesmiths still generate +1 dispel dice though.

Also, if you have one, don't take flame cannons, put it away nice and safe because it's a worthless piece of garbage now.

Welcome back to the Dwarves! :)

Xbox360<PS3<PC
27-11-2011, 06:53
Go minimum on combat dwarves. They can always be out manoeuvred or simply avoided.
Also dont go to big on units or else dwellers will really hurt. Multiple units of 20 combat dwarves scattered across your gunline are good. Dont go big, 2x20 is far better than 1x40.

Take heaps of warmachines, but remember you are not empire. Quality over quantity for dwarves.

Runesmiths are good, but dont go ott as they add up pretty quick,

Sadly dwarves are in a bad a place as warriors of chaos this edition

sulla
27-11-2011, 07:28
I struggle far more against the 'every dwarf has a great weapon or a war machine' list than a conventional gunline. Since hills are pretty rare with the random terrain, and it is fairly easy to shield important units with chaff units now, conventional bs shooting doesn't really bother either my beasts or my elves (two armies that are traditionally weak vs shooting. But the high strength grudge throwers do worry me. If I were to build a Dwarf army, I would limit conventional shooting to a couple of minimum sized units purely for shooting war machine hunters (who got a lot better in 8th with the 6 man assault parties). Every other unit shopuld have great weapons and at least one of them should have enough numbers to horde if needed; 30-40 dorvs. Add in a flaming cannon or two and a tank general, tank BSB and one or two rune-dudes and you have an all-round good army.

Guindor
27-11-2011, 17:59
Go minimum on combat dwarves. They can always be out manoeuvred or simply avoided.
Also dont go to big on units or else dwellers will really hurt. Multiple units of 20 combat dwarves scattered across your gunline are good. Dont go big, 2x20 is far better than 1x40.

Take heaps of warmachines, but remember you are not empire. Quality over quantity for dwarves.

Runesmiths are good, but dont go ott as they add up pretty quick,

Sadly dwarves are in a bad a place as warriors of chaos this edition

Since the release fo the 8th edition i have attend in at least 10-12tournaments, in different regions so lets say atleast 6different group of ppl playing.... whatever i read on the above state rings me wrong...
First , not many ppl/armies have access on Life lore and at the end choose it ( in every tournament i havent seen more than 2ppl playing LIFE lore)
Second, every dwarf army i meet ( in the last tournaments i meet ATLEAST 1 dwarf army) every1 is running a 30+ hammerers or something with 2hand weapon atleast , even if they play gunline or combat setup..

So imo take one 35+unit with 2hands for sure and with that as the center of ur army start the expiraments and at the end u will find something that suits u best :)

P.S In every tournament there were atleast 10ppl (with 16pp max)

Xbox360<PS3<PC
28-11-2011, 06:10
By dwellers i also mean final transumation. That ends up being empire, high elves, dark elves, lizards, brettonia, wood elves and daemons which is a huge proportion of armies out there.

Thinking about it 30 is the right amount. I forgot that you will never get flank charges of with dwarves. Still combat will not win you anything as a Dwarves player, it is for holding up enemy units. Warmachines get the kills

Stymie Jackson
29-11-2011, 15:15
If you try to win with shooting as Dwarves, you are going to lose a lot of games. Shooting is to kill big beasties and enemy artillery, trims a rank off a deadly infantry unit, the things blocks struggle with. Shooting is inherently unreliable and will not win games against well built enemy lists on it's own.

Infantry gets the kills. That's why you go big, that's why you use Great Weapons.

As far as magic goes, that's why you bring a runelord with balance. Force the enemy to IF if he wants to get high cost spells off. You stop the dwellers and other spells from being cast...or costing the enemy to cast them successfully by risking their mages. Small dwarf blocks, with their low attacks and swinging last, just fail hard against well built enemy lists. 30 dwarves lose half to Dwellers, you have 15 guys. That's not winning a lot of fights. 40 dwarves lose 20...still left with more in the unit than the 30 dwarf unit. More casaulties suffered yes, but the block is still more combat effective afterwards.'

Besides, a big block of tough, drunken Dwarf infantry looks cool.