PDA

View Full Version : Lizards or Warriors of Chaos?

Dirty Mac
27-11-2011, 07:52
I currently have a Dark Elf army, but I am starting to think about starting a 2nd army as well. I am kinda stuck between Lizards and Warriors of Chaos

For starters I love the look of WoC, But people say they are boring to play with. Sure they are strong, but looking at lists it seems to be lots of Marauders and Warriors, Lizards on the other hand, while the models don't look as good WoC, They seem to be a bit more flexible, shooting options with skinks and Salamanders. I just don't know what to choose.

Sure choose what appeals to me , But they both kinda do, but they both kinda don't at the same time. Granted I like to win, but i want to have some fun while i do it. I want to be tactical, not be everything in combat by turn 2.

Would WoC provide the tactical game I would like to play? Are Lizards strong enough to get the job done? Skinks are only WS2 T2. Is their low Init a problem? Just want to air a few thoughts out before I commit money to an army.

Thanks in Advance.

MOMUS
27-11-2011, 08:00
Lizards, you should choose lizards. IMO blocks of saurus buffed by slann/EotG will play alot like block of warriors buffed by a shrine/sorcerer.
I suggest to get more 'tactics' reduce the amount of warriors/saurus in your army. I play a nearly all skink army, its really fun to use and i cant remember the last combat my skinks lost. :shifty:

TheOneHawk
27-11-2011, 08:21
WoC are only as boring as you make them. Cookie cutter chosenstar of doom internet lists are boring for both players, but Chaos has enough options to really make a game entertaining. Plenty of tactical options, too. Sure, the general idea is get to combat and mince things, but it's a lot deeper than that if you try different things. We're getting a bunch of shiny new models and a new book within the year, as well. It's a good time to be a Warrior.

mrtn
27-11-2011, 10:45
Go for the coolest models, so WoC in your case.

:)

MOMUS
27-11-2011, 11:44
Go for the coolest models, so WoC in your case.

:)

Or the 5th ed lizardmen models :p

Dirty Mac
27-11-2011, 13:34
Just how brutal are WoC? Don't get me wrong I would be happy to have an army that will steam roll opponents, I am not above that. I am not really fussed if something is OP, if it's in the rules It's allowed. Granted I am still learning this game, I started in 8th edition.

Dreadlordpaul
27-11-2011, 13:36
WoC can be extremely brutal one of the combos that I would use when I do my warriors is 24x warriors with mark of nurge banner of rage with halberds

theunwantedbeing
27-11-2011, 13:37
Lizardmen, your opponents will find them far less boring to play.

Dirty Mac
27-11-2011, 13:54
I am not really worried about my opponents to be honest. I am too new to be playing fluffy lists.

theunwantedbeing
27-11-2011, 14:00
I am not really worried about my opponents to be honest. I am too new to be playing fluffy lists.

A warriors of chaos net list using every combo they have available it is then!

Dreadlordpaul
27-11-2011, 14:07
To be honest warriors of chaos are not that boring to face. My friends get bored when they play my vampires because im always doing the same thing aka raising and killing which is why I sometimes use my dark elves

Infern0
27-11-2011, 14:20
Lizardmen, lizardmen, lizardmen

Commissar_Kahl
27-11-2011, 15:01
The best thing to do is agree to play a game with a friend where you proxy the models to see which army you like best. Everyone on here is going to give you their bias.

michaells
27-11-2011, 15:24
warriors are not boring its just that most people use the same list usally with chosen star etc.... like its been said here they have plenty of tactical options like you could make an all mounted army an all marauder army etc...... if i were you i would pick warriors they are plenty of fun

Rajhald
27-11-2011, 21:03
I currently have a lizardmen army, that quite honestly I find to be extremely competitive, even against the hordes of marauders and chosenstarofdeath. However I also find the Chaos models to be extremely enticing and the options endless (chaos ogres anyone?)

Either way it think you will be happy, albeit they play very differently imho, and you can always play the army however you see fit and fun.

But as someone said, proxy first then buy, always helps me out.

Dirty Mac
27-11-2011, 23:18
What is the lore of Tzeench like? or the other Chaos lores for that matter?

The Low King
27-11-2011, 23:31
chaotic......

i find the fluff is the most important thing, chose what 'idea' you like
then look at the models
Then, and only then, look at how the army plays

tezdal
28-11-2011, 02:10
Personally I love lizardmen, and would start an army right now... if I didn't find the basic saurus infantry ugly... I love all the other models, just not them fellers for some reason.

RandomSpecific
28-11-2011, 06:59
why choose?

lizards.....OF CHAOS!!!!

TheOneHawk
28-11-2011, 07:48
The lores are all good. The BRB lores are probably better, because they got buffed like mad, but we're getting a new rulebook soon with probably nasty lores. Tzeentch is great, if you don't mind being the same as everyone else who wants to be competitive, go for that mark on pretty much everything.

Dirty Mac
28-11-2011, 09:54
Is there more to WoC then lots of Marauders? I have seen some lists , that had 50+ marauders in them and i saw a 2500 point list with 2x50 Marauders. I understand a block of 40, but 100 of them or 70 even. Are they that awesome? or is everything else just too expensive?

RandomSpecific
28-11-2011, 13:58
they are awsome units and cheap too, warriors are not bad value but the points do add up, marauders allow you to feel less out numbered and deliver the needed goods of a hammer and anvil all at once (with mok and gw)

its not necsessary to have them at all and you can run pure plate but id consider them 1+.

Dirty Mac
28-11-2011, 14:44
They are only T3 are they an anvil because you should field lots of them?

Spiney Norman
28-11-2011, 16:54
I currently have a Dark Elf army, but I am starting to think about starting a 2nd army as well. I am kinda stuck between Lizards and Warriors of Chaos

For starters I love the look of WoC, But people say they are boring to play with. Sure they are strong, but looking at lists it seems to be lots of Marauders and Warriors, Lizards on the other hand, while the models don't look as good WoC, They seem to be a bit more flexible, shooting options with skinks and Salamanders. I just don't know what to choose.

Sure choose what appeals to me , But they both kinda do, but they both kinda don't at the same time. Granted I like to win, but i want to have some fun while i do it. I want to be tactical, not be everything in combat by turn 2.

Would WoC provide the tactical game I would like to play? Are Lizards strong enough to get the job done? Skinks are only WS2 T2. Is their low Init a problem? Just want to air a few thoughts out before I commit money to an army.

Thanks in Advance.

I always advise players to choose based on the models and army background they like the most. This is especially true here because both LM and WoC are very competant players in the 8th Ed meta. its probably true that WoC rely more on annoying, sneaky and/or overpowered tricks to do well whereas Lizardmen are just solid.

personally I find Lizardmen way more compelling than WoC
1. because I just generall find human armies to be dull in a game which is full of crazy fantastical races (of which LM are one of the craziest and most fantastical).
2. Lizardmen have huge dinosaurs
3. The colour that Lizardmen bring to the table is utterly breath-taking, and while the colour schemes are ultimately down to personal choice can you really see an army of bright turquoise or orange chaos warriors being taken seriously?
4. Lizardmen have Slann, which IMHO are among the coolest character concepts in the entire game.
5. Lizardmen have rather more tactical options than the warriors, all I ever really see in WoC armies is a battle line grinding all before it, whereas a Lizardmen army can be just about anything you want it to be (except for massed long range shooting).