PDA

View Full Version : New to Vampire Counts

Loptin
27-11-2011, 07:58
New to Vampire Counts
Hey guys,
I have been looking to start a new warhammer army. Right now I have orcs and goblins and I can't decide between wood elves and vampire counts. I love the fluff and models for both armies, but what is making me lean towards vampire counts is the rumored new army book in january.
So my questions for you guys are
1) Should I start a vampire counts army now? I am 15, it's almost christmas, perfect time to ask my parents for a battalion.
2) What do I need to know to use vampire counts effectively, My main opponents are High Elves and Dwarfs. But they have both just started fantasy so I beat them easily.

Dreadlordpaul
27-11-2011, 08:02
1) depends what you want to be honest you can start the army now it just depends what you want your main units to be
2) its a horde style army so you need to field big units of 25+

Loptin
27-11-2011, 08:09
Honestly I don't know much about vampire counts, I just know i love the models and the fluff.
Could you tell me what my main units could be?
Are their any specific combinations of magic items that can be used that are effective?
My friend who plays dwarfs is really competitive, I would like to be able to crush him some times so he doesn't rub it in my face that he always beats me :/.

Dreadlordpaul
27-11-2011, 08:11
Well if you really want to crush him that bad take 40 grave guard put a wight king bsb in their with the regen banner put another vampire in there with the dragonbane gem and then put your vampire lord within 12 inches with the crown of command and watch him cry :p you could have big blocks of zombies skeletons and ghouls :p

1) Why not? Grab that battalion and have a rotting Christmas.

2) The new book is coming out, so many things might change for us. At the moment, I'd advise not to be over-eager to devour your enemy. If hit hard enough, Unstable makes our troops disintegrate real quick. And we cannot flee if something nasty charges. So you have to play it cool, use ethereals and raised zombies to tie up and divert enemy elite troops.

Loptin
27-11-2011, 08:21
@Dreadlordpaul, that sounds ridiculous, might do that one out of every ten games just to annoy him :D.
@Ville, I think I will get the battalion, hopefully they don't release re-done skeletons and zombies :/. Would additional purchases of zombies be a good thing to do. Also, i don't know what to pick up for Lords and/or heroes.

Dreadlordpaul
27-11-2011, 08:24
It is ridicoulous its a horde of regenerating grave guard who have a 2+ ward vs flaming attacks who are hitting on 2s most of the time thanks to the crown of command and the banner of the barrows. Whats not to like :p

I am quite sure they will release a new kit for Zombies, as current models are really old (I use Mantic models). Painting Skeletons and Ghouls should be a safe bet, though.

Alan Quartermaine
27-11-2011, 08:29
@dreadlordpaul
Correct me I'm wrong but doesn't the dragon bane gem only affect the wearer? So the grave guard shouldn't get the ward right? :S

RealMikeBob
27-11-2011, 08:30
a horde of regenerating grave guard who have a 2+ ward vs flaming attacks

Erm... what? :wtf:

Loptin, I think the battalion will be a safe bet and with over a month till the new book this gives you plenty of time to get them painted and looking good in time for the shiny new rules.

Dreadlordpaul
27-11-2011, 08:31
Nope technically as the vampire is in the unit the unit get the ward to :p

Loptin
27-11-2011, 08:38
Thanks for this everyone, going to get the battalion and a vampire then wait for the new book.

And dreadlord paul, I'm not sure you are right. I think only the wearer gets the 2+ save. The description in the rulebook says, "The BEARER of the Dragonbane Gem gets a 2+ ward save against flaming attacks"

Coldblood666
27-11-2011, 08:39
We don't know for sure yet the extent of the upcoming release but I personally would avoid Zombies simply because of the horrid models :D

The skeletons, ghouls, and grave guard are safe though. I would be utterly shocked if they re-designed any of those kits in this release.

Loptin
27-11-2011, 08:44
I am quite sure they will release a new kit for Zombies, as current models are really old (I use Mantic models). Painting Skeletons and Ghouls should be a safe bet, though.

Do the mantic models look right along with the GW ones? If I bought the battalion and mantic ghouls, would they look right together?

Dreadlordpaul
27-11-2011, 08:47
Loptin ive always used it as the unit gets it to like magic res. Or atleast thats how ive played it whenever ive used my blood knights train of pain

RealMikeBob
27-11-2011, 08:49
Loptin ive always used it as the unit gets it to like magic res. Or atleast thats how ive played it whenever ive used my blood knights train of pain

You've been using it wrong then.

Loptin
27-11-2011, 08:49
Dreadlordpaul, I don't want to go against what you say because honestly that unit is awesome and I want it :D. What vampire lord should I get if for a while I will only be playing 1000 point games?

Dreadlordpaul
27-11-2011, 09:00
You cant take a decent lord at 1000 points I refuse to field a lord til 1500 when I can give him a decent amount of equipment/powers

Loptin
27-11-2011, 09:04
So what would you reccomend as my list for a 1000 point game against high elves?

Dreadlordpaul
27-11-2011, 09:18
Just a normal vamp with lore master over either vampires or light

Loptin
27-11-2011, 09:20
And what core would you recommend me taking against high elves? Any special or rare?

You can actually use a Vamp Lord in 1000 point games, at least I have used several times. You can give him some cheap upgrades and have a decent caster and combatant. He is also a lot harder to kill than a smaller Vampire, who won't probably last long if engaged in melee.

For example:
Vamp Lord
-Lord Of The Dead
-Biting Blade
-Flayed Hauberk

Not uber-awesome, but he will do his job.

Loptin
27-11-2011, 09:57
Thanks for that, what core units should I use though, and and special or rares?

NitrosOkay
27-11-2011, 10:17
Ghouls are rumoured to go to 10 points in two months and if Tomb Kings are any indication skeletons will become 5 points. Ghouls are better for a little bit I guess?

Grave Guard are hands down the best special currently, god knows though with the new book coming.

rodmillard
27-11-2011, 10:31
Do the mantic models look right along with the GW ones? If I bought the battalion and mantic ghouls, would they look right together?

The Mantic ghouls don't really mix with their GW counterparts - they have both taken the "ghoul" archetype in very different directions. Which you prefer is down to subjective taste, but I wouldn't use both in the same army. The skeletons, on the other hand are close enough in scale that you can mix them pretty freely - I personally wouldn't put them in the same unit, but that's because of differences in the posing (Mantic skeles are mostly "shambling dead" whereas GW's can be posed for combat) however if you want some real variety in your army I would say buy both and kitbash away.

Mantic's zombies are hands down better than the GW ones (not surprising, since they're a good 10 years fresher) - I know a few people who run almost pure GW armies with just the zombies from Mantic. Conversely, I run an almost pure Mantic army with just the characters from GW...

BigbyWolf
27-11-2011, 10:45

I use Mantic Ghouls in my army (I prefer the degenerate human look over GWs), and they look fine with other models.

Loptin
27-11-2011, 10:52
So a ghoul army with grave guard as a special choice? I honestly prefer the GW ghouls :P.

So a ghoul army with grave guard as a special choice? I honestly prefer the GW ghouls :P.

At the moment, that seems to be the most popular/effective choice. Keep in mind that there's the new book coming out and things may well change. I really hope that Ghouls will cease to be the no-brainer core choice.

For Specials, I use Wights too, but mine are all mounted. My Black Knights have become my staple unit: fast, hard hitting (Banner of Barrows + Killing Blow) and pretty durable with T4 and 2+ save. If the points allow it, I beef them up with a mounted Wight King, and there is usually a Vanhels-spamming Necromancer lurking nearby as well.

Dreadlordpaul
28-11-2011, 10:55
I agree Ville I also use black knights as my main hard hitting unit. Personally I do just use 10 ghouls for a bunker because I prefere the actual undead stuff like the skeletons and zombies