PDA

View Full Version : 2011 in 40k

Fawful
27-11-2011, 09:42
Inspired by the warhammer fantasy thread on the same subject. What did you think of this year in 40k releases?

Just as a refresher, we got the following stuff for 2011:

Blood angels:
Battle force
Librarian Dread
Stormraven

Dark Eldar
The court models
Talos pain engine/chronos parasite engine
Razorwing jetfighter
Scourges
Venom
Heamonculus
Succubus ?
Beastmaster and beasts ?
Wracks
Grotesques

Megaforce (not really a new release per se)

Grey Knights
Codex
Terminator set
Infantry set
Dreadknight
Jokaero
Lord Kaldor Draigo
Castellen Crowe

Necrons
Codex
Generic Overlord
Imotekh the storm lord
Trazyn the infinte
Immortal/deathmarks box
Triarch praetorians/ lychguard box
Updated flayed ones (FC)
Cryptek
Catacomb command barge/annihilation barge
Ghost ark/ Doomsday ark

Sisters of battle:
Two part white dwarf codex

Space marines
Megaforce (not really a new release per se)

And various Finecast re-releases.

Let me know if I missed anything.

Overall, in my opinion this was a very weak 40k year. Only 2 interesting release months (necrons and dark eldar) and the much complained about grey knight codex. That coupled with a couple of months of no 40k releases and quite a few top notch fantasy releases made the sci fi game feel like the red headed child for once. Which is not inherently bad, but only four release of which two are marines is just meh.

Gingerwerewolf
27-11-2011, 10:24
I guess its about expectations but I thought that list was pretty damned good, the amount of NEW stuff is fantastic. The calibre of the releases and modes is awesome and I have to ask: What more would you have wanted?

You say this year 40k was the Red Headed Child, well as a person who was a red headed child and is now a red headed man, I dont think that it was left out at all. In fact I think, two massive new army releases (with a massive overhaul of the models - Dark Eldar and Necrons) and a completely new Army - Grey Knights, that we've been spoilt.

But at the end of the day, people are never happy.

And its spelt "Per Se" Its from the Latin meaning "In itself"

Marzillius
27-11-2011, 10:25
It seems 2011 has been a Warhammer Fantasy year.

Infern0
27-11-2011, 10:56
well 2011 is the best year for DE and necron players.... since I don`t collect any of those, this year was "okay" for me 40k wise

so I guess this year was an "oldandforgottenbyitsparents" army year as well - GW put a lot of love into DE and necrons (GK i didn`t like)... for a period of time I thought they were going to ditch DE

BUT I really like the preheresy FW releases

Lowmans
27-11-2011, 11:02
Every year since Forge World began has been a good year x

Fawful
27-11-2011, 11:06
Oh, I totally forgot about the FW releases this year. Which were mostly ace, as usual. If anyone know what came out this year, I'll add it to the first post.

I would have wanted some more diverse releases, like they did for fantasy. There have been a load of fantasy terrain and monster kits released every army could use. And imo they got the better (balanced) books this year. I'd also like to see the plastic characters make the jump to 40k.

deadly claris
27-11-2011, 11:09
whear is the thread that list all the stuff GW did years back ?
canīt find it

TimLeeson
27-11-2011, 11:12
I don't think it was that bad a year, I think it could of been stronger though - there was a few months with barely anything at all (litterally only a few finecast DE models) and I think lapse is what makes this year look worse than it was - I think if Sisters of battle got a -proper- codex and plastics it would of raised the year from "good" to "amazing" - but only 2 codices makes the year look a bit weak, much like 2009 when all they released was IG and SW. It feels a bit empty when theres only 2 codices a year I think.

Fawful
27-11-2011, 11:16
whear is the thread that list all the stuff GW did years back ?
canīt find it

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297915

Rick Blaine
27-11-2011, 11:17
I count 13 plastic kits. Not so long ago we were lucky to get 8 sprues a year (which translated in 4 or so actual kits).

The Marshel
27-11-2011, 12:12
only 2 codex's for the year is a tad disappointing, but at least they were two books that needed it (Gk and Necrons both previously having been considered very weak with a poor model range of metals and limited plastics)

yes, i kno the sisters got a wd dex, but honestly, that thing is so bad i doubt much time really went into it. plus there was no actual release to go with it, so I wouldnt even count it

Lord Damocles
27-11-2011, 14:54
Overall, in my opinion this was a very weak 40k year.
Not if you got hold of the accidently re-released Gideon Lorr, it wasn't :D

23rd elysian
27-11-2011, 16:21
Dark eldar where one of the best 40k releases ever...

(Good year therefore.)

Sir_Turalyon
27-11-2011, 16:44
Great year for DE players (some things could be done better). The Grey Knightsand Necrons releases were adequate (Being Necrons, their adequate releases should be considered very good). Other armies got lots of stuff misrecast in resin, which is bit of downer.

All in all, weak year unless you play DE or Necrons.

Turrican1983
27-11-2011, 16:47
The Grey Knights models are stunning. Some of the finest Space Marines models to date.
Shame about everything in the Codex being so cheap in points.

Sarevok
27-11-2011, 17:39
2010 was a shocking year for WFB releases, so I guess this evens it out

Necrofencer
27-11-2011, 18:43
Well, I'll say bad.
One excellent release (Dark Eldars) and one very good release (Necrons) - opinion of course - just don't even out the abyssal crap that is the rest :
- the Stormraven (not bad but not exactly a masterpiece either)
- the Grey Knights (the codex is less than stellar, the Dreadknight/Jokaero still look akward and ninja terminators, really ?)
- the Sisters dump (that one is just too insulting to be called a release)
- Failcast (now everyone can bubble wrap their models)

The bearded one
27-11-2011, 18:48
the Dreadknight/Jokaero still look akward

Do note that the Jokaero isn't something new they made up, Jokaero have been in 40K fluff for a long time, I believe since Rogue Trader

Longtimelurker
27-11-2011, 19:36
People saying its a bad year, after getting 4 dex's and their units, what more would you have wanted?
or is it a case of, "Nothing released for any armies i play, hence its a poor year"?

What would you liked to have seen?

I think perhaps some new 40k terrain sets. i'd LIKE a non DA fortress of redemption myself. i'd buy the kit if it wasnt DA themed.

Necrofencer
27-11-2011, 19:55
Do note that the Jokaero isn't something new they made up, Jokaero have been in 40K fluff for a long time, I believe since Rogue Trader
I know that, doesn't make it any less akward. Or the right term would be "unimpressive". I'm speaking of the model here, this is meant to be a genius tinker monkey, not a monkey with bionics.

People saying its a bad year, after getting 4 dex's and their units, what more would you have wanted?
or is it a case of, "Nothing released for any armies i play, hence its a poor year"?

What would you liked to have seen?
4 codexes without that many trainwrecks?

The bearded one
27-11-2011, 20:09
The only trainwreck I saw was in the Space Marine game.. but that's because you literally board a train, kill all the Orks and wreck it by letting an ork ship crash on it.

(I think videogames and other media should also count towards a good 40K year ;) )

fidesratioque
27-11-2011, 20:13
The Eldar got a new Fire Prism model as well as the new Support Weapon as well - or was that last year? :/