PDA

View Full Version : WYSIWYG and paint schemes

Tayrod
28-11-2011, 11:08
So the purifiers and the Grey Knight Strike Squads are basicly the same model, with the same loadout. The only thing that distinguishes them from oneanother in the GK codex is the paint scheme.

In order to buy as few minies as possible, it would be better to paint them in the same scheme, so that it's easier to switch them around depending on the army list. This way I can take either 30 purifiers, or 30 strike squad marines, or any number in between, without buying 30 purifiers, AND 30 SSmarines.

Now, would anyone have a problem with this? Technically, they are still WYSIWYG, they are just really easy to confuse. Would you consider this a proxy (for tournaments) - or are they not?

- Might it be a good idea to make a marker (a flame on a base or something) and keep it next to the unit to show it's a purifier? Would anyone have a problem with this approach?

Gertjan
28-11-2011, 11:18
Depends really, in a non tourny enviroment it's not much of a problem, especially considering a lot of grey knights do not proceed past the grey plastic color scheme. As long as you're clear about what is what I don't think your opponent will cry and shout about it to be honest, how you paint your minitures etc is up to you, not your opponents preference, as long as it's all made clear before the battle begins it's all good.

Tournaments however it's a different story as most of them nowadays use unit markings, so you'll be forced to apply them to the units to set them apart from each other. Basically negating whatever advantage you had with the whole switcheroo trick. But then again, tournaments are not something everyone plays nor do all of them require unit markings I guess.

But more than anything else, they are your mini's, it's your money and if you don't want to spend the extra money if you see no need for it then don't. If people complain about it, offer them to pay for it and see hwo fast they will stop with that :D. I for one fully understand the reasoning you have and wouldn't see it a a problem, gw mini's are expensive enough as is...:p

benogham
28-11-2011, 11:18
I would myself make easy to read banners. so you put the mini with the right banner to identify your squad, even though other minis stay the same. Visual for your opponent and can be pretty.

Denny
28-11-2011, 13:32
I would myself make easy to read banners. so you put the mini with the right banner to identify your squad, even though other minis stay the same. Visual for your opponent and can be pretty.

Good idea. I was going to suggest building different squad leaders with back banners, but actual banners in the unit would look cool too.

Wishing
28-11-2011, 14:44
It's a good question. Clearly it's not to do with proxying or WYSIWYG in any real sense, since it is a fundamental premise of all GW-style wargames that you are free to paint your models any way you want.

However, doing something to indicate whether a squad is meant to be of type A or type B generally enhances the game, especially for your opponents, so deliberately creating confusion as to what your models represent probably won't earn you any friends and tournament organisers might demand that you somehow make it possible for your opponents to tell whether a squad is meant to be purifiers or strikers (if you have two identical squads for example that are meant to be one of each type). The flame marker is a good idea, and showing your good intentions this way will probably go a long way to make it acceptable.

SunTzu
28-11-2011, 16:50
Squad leader with a back banner sounds the best idea to me. Simply drill a whole in his backpack and drop in the appropriate banner, which you can switch around between games. At the start of the battle, say "the ones with the red back banners are Purifiers, blue are Strikes" or whatever. Job done.

Col. Dash
28-11-2011, 17:57
Didnt know there was even a difference in paint schemes. I dont think any one would say anything even in a tourney as GW has never said you HAVE to paint things a certain way. As long as they are WYSIWYG part wise I think you are clear.

althathir
28-11-2011, 19:17
So the purifiers and the Grey Knight Strike Squads are basicly the same model, with the same loadout. The only thing that distinguishes them from oneanother in the GK codex is the paint scheme.

In order to buy as few minies as possible, it would be better to paint them in the same scheme, so that it's easier to switch them around depending on the army list. This way I can take either 30 purifiers, or 30 strike squad marines, or any number in between, without buying 30 purifiers, AND 30 SSmarines.

Now, would anyone have a problem with this? Technically, they are still WYSIWYG, they are just really easy to confuse. Would you consider this a proxy (for tournaments) - or are they not?

- Might it be a good idea to make a marker (a flame on a base or something) and keep it next to the unit to show it's a purifier? Would anyone have a problem with this approach?

I would just worry about making sure the squad markings are really clear, and just go over your army with your opponent before the game starts.

The tokens would be nice though.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
28-11-2011, 19:26
Squad leader with a back banner sounds the best idea to me. Simply drill a whole in his backpack and drop in the appropriate banner, which you can switch around between games. At the start of the battle, say "the ones with the red back banners are Purifiers, blue are Strikes" or whatever. Job done.

Chalk up another vote for this idea.

While it is technically fair game to paint your models however you want, your opponents will be much happier playing an army with a clear differentiation between Strike and Purifier squads. Back banners on sergeants serve this purpose without forcing you to buy unnecessary duplicates

massey
28-11-2011, 19:46
The same issue comes up with a lot of armies, like the different between regular SM and veteran SM, DE warriors or trueborn, grey hunters or blood claws. Just have a way for your opponent to distinguish them and you'll be okay.

Lord Damocles
28-11-2011, 20:01
I'd expect some particularly distinguishing feature(s) if both Strike Squads and Purifiers were in the same army.

If only one squad type is included, no problem.