PDA

View Full Version : Buying in to an army blind?

ashc
28-11-2011, 19:36
Ok, so I have been bitten by the Vamps :rolleyes:

but on a serious note, with christmas coming up I get to ask for a boxed set from my other half and I was considering (as their new book is January) asking for a Mantic army set to kick off new Vampire Counts. Only thing is, we know very little about it! - do you think its a good idea? Vamps have always been an army that I have wanted to do but have been limited by cost. What with the Mantic boxed sets bringing the cost down and the prospect of a new (although completely unknown) book for 8th also on the horizon, good idea or no?

The alternative is a Chaos Battalion.

Magot
28-11-2011, 19:58
HI,

I think your first Idea is a good one for 3 reasons.

A, de manitc undead are great models see this (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314787)link

B, you will got a lot more models for the same price

C, the new 8th edition VC will be better than the 7th
I have seen all the new 8th edition army books and all of these made the armys better to play in the 8th.

I also want an other half like yours ... ;)

Oh and Chaos is a beautifull army, but only the GW models i.m.h.o.
but perhaps thats because I do have a Chaos army myself.....
(see link in sig)

the_slosh
28-11-2011, 20:03
If you are into VC as they are now I would advise you to hold of any purchase until the new book arrives

My feeling is that they will become quite different to play from what they are now (not that this is a bad thing) and this sounds like it would be the main concern?

If you like the fluff (never changes that much) and the minis then why not, go crazy + you will have a little head start for when all the new toys comes around

ashc
28-11-2011, 20:05
to be fair, I'm most in to the background and look of the army. I don't particularly like what the 7th edition book became (invospamsuperghoulsandgraveguardhammer) so the fresh approach appeals to me.

@magot, many thanks and I really like your Chaos stuff!

mrtn
28-11-2011, 20:18
I think it sounds like a good idea. I suspect that GW will try to make the new army play more like they think the army should be played. That seems to me to mean more skeletons and zombies, and less ghoul hordes as you say. Since Mantic's army looks just like the GW dream army (in the above sense) it should fit well.

28-11-2011, 20:18
If you play for fun and with friends the Mantic way would be the way to go. But if you ever are going to field the army in a tourney then you might want to wait for new models to be released as I don't think you will be able to field the Mantic vamps.

ashc
28-11-2011, 20:22
I'm no tournament player, strictly a play-in-my-gaming-garage type of chap.

28-11-2011, 20:30
I'm no tournament player, strictly a play-in-my-gaming-garage type of chap.

Best types of games come from that, I wish there were enough players locally with the same schedules to make that even feasable where I live.

jack da greenskin
28-11-2011, 22:03
Get one of the boxes that include a bunch of different core troops. One will be good in the new book, failing that, one will be necessary so you cant go wrong. You can combine ghoul bits to make more zombies, or zombies to make more ghouls, add cloth to a few skeletons to make revenants, add a few revenants to make skellies :p

And buy from total wargamer for 25% off :)

ashc
28-11-2011, 22:05
I was looking at this:

http://www.totalwargamer.co.uk/undead-army.html

ashc
28-11-2011, 22:13
The deed is done, the order placed, and I have given myself up to the Dark Kiss of the Vampire Counts!

SotF
29-11-2011, 06:23
The big thing to remember about using Mantic is that they're not the same scale as GW's. They're more of a specific scale while GW goes with heroic scale that expands hands and feet among other things. They stand out from each other if you mix and match.

However, there are a lot of providers that can get some good variants of the basic models. A lot of things are also to taste.

For example, I loathe the current Dire Wolves. The flayed look just doesn't feel like something I want so I went with Primeval Designs wolves with their dire wolf as the doom wolf.

Dracula's Carriage from Old Glory works as a great black coach and their werewolf works great for a varghulf. The only unit I've had trouble finding an analogue or easily convertable alternate are the giant bats.

ashc
29-11-2011, 06:40
I have a large number of chaos warhounds in storage that I am going to use for dire wolves.

I completely agree on the giant bat issue, SotF!

mrtn
29-11-2011, 07:09
The big thing to remember about using Mantic is that they're not the same scale as GW's. They're more of a specific scale while GW goes with heroic scale that expands hands and feet among other things. They stand out from each other if you mix and match.The difference compared to newer GW plastics isn't that pronounced. Someone posted this (http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a4/mrtnw/Miniatures/?action=view&current=mantic1_skeleton.jpg) when the kit was released, I think they'd fit in the same army.

The only unit I've had trouble finding an analogue or easily convertable alternate are the giant bats.
There's some kind of giant bats in LotR, would they fit?

The deed is done, the order placed, and I have given myself up to the Dark Kiss of the Vampire Counts!

Welcome to the Darker Side! We sleep all day and party all night, the rockstars of the Old World. NEVER DIE!

Dreadlordpaul
29-11-2011, 09:49
Welcome to the Darker Side! We sleep all day and party all night, the rockstars of the Old World. NEVER DIE!

Okay that just made me lol that is going in my sig

ArtificerArmour
29-11-2011, 11:59
Just a warning, 2 years ago I did it with nids and was very dissapointed

ashc
29-11-2011, 17:22
Just a warning, 2 years ago I did it with nids and was very dissapointed

Yeah, as far as I am aware Cruddace hasn't been allowed near fantasy (yet...)

EDIT: D'oh, proven wrong by him writing TKs as pointed out later in the thread...

Archon Deloth Vyrr
29-11-2011, 17:27

Cruddace did the new Tomb Kings book. Also rumoured he is working on VC, then again another rumor has Ward working on VC too. We'll have to wait and see.

ashc
29-11-2011, 17:30
Cruddace did the new Tomb Kings book. Also rumoured he is working on VC, then again another rumor has Ward working on VC too. We'll have to wait and see.

I don't know how to react to that one then... meh I'm not worried, TKs are alright! :)

Keith_Lupton
29-11-2011, 19:32

Cruddace did Tomb Kings mate. I think he will prob write the new Vamp book. Unless someone knows different?.

You can bet that they will make Skeletons more viable in the new book so get a head start on painting those Skele's. Gouls IMHO will be made into a more elite unit than the basic infantry unit they are now. Buy your favourite Vampire model and the plastic Necromancer and get started painting!!

ashc
29-11-2011, 19:59
I'm looking forward to skeletons and zombies hopefully reclaiming their status in the army, plus the new stuff sounds really interesting.

I'm shopping for vamps as we speak, looking around at what is available :)

Magot
29-11-2011, 20:00
Best types of games come from that, I wish there were enough players locally with the same schedules to make that even feasable where I live.

do you live in the Netherlands ?

Keith_Lupton
29-11-2011, 21:21
I'm looking forward to skeletons and zombies hopefully reclaiming their status in the army, plus the new stuff sounds really interesting.

I'm shopping for vamps as we speak, looking around at what is available :)

Good plan. Have a nip into town into the GW store and have a browse. The guys may even be able to give you a small game with vampires so you can see how they work. The guys in our local GW are really helpful when not trying to sell you stuff.

bolshie
29-11-2011, 21:53
If it was any army other than VC I would urge caution until you saw the new book, but no doubt you will need figures for those you raise during the game.

ashc
29-11-2011, 21:56
I'm avoiding looking too much at the current lay of the army as i am guessing there will be some pretty sweeping changes made to the current ghoulspamhammer lists, roll on january i say!

bolshie
30-11-2011, 00:43
I'm avoiding looking too much at the current lay of the army as i am guessing there will be some pretty sweeping changes made to the current ghoulspamhammer lists, roll on january i say!

Ay prepare for ethereal spam...

MasterSparks
30-11-2011, 20:46
The only unit I've had trouble finding an analogue or easily convertable alternate are the giant bats.

In my army I use riderless Bretonnian pegasus mounts as my fell bats. They're not painted yet, but I want to pass them off as some kind of shadow-beasts, painted black with some thin streaks of cotton trailing from their wings to diffuse their shape and give them a sense of speed.

I think it'll work out well. :)