PDA

View Full Version : 2D top down images?

Inquisitor Kallus
28-11-2011, 21:39
Hello all,

does anyone know of any good places to get 40k style images for use in 'Maptools'. Its basically an overhead map to use for online rp etc. Im going to be running a 40k rpg and havent found a great deal of stuff out there that is suitable.

Chem-Dog
28-11-2011, 23:35
Have you thought about using the GW faction Icons? The ones that seem to appear on the sides of boxes to illustrate which army a kit belongs to. The CSM's have horned Marine helmet, IG have a guardsman's head ect.

Might not be THE best fit for your uses, but they are readily available (thus easy to aquire and, if necessary, scan) and I should imagine that with a splash of colour and a few choice symbols, they'll stand in quite well.

Otherwise you're left with copying from the rulebooks and, perhaps a few Battle reports :/

Inquisitor Kallus
28-11-2011, 23:57
Im ok for player tokens etc, more terrain, vehicles and scenic stuff.

Fawful
29-11-2011, 09:50
You could also take a look at some of the stuff from dawn of war: soulstorm (pc game). That had a pretty big map with different icons for all the armies. The campaign tool for 4ok (mighty empires?) also has quite a few different models that could look good from above.

Hendarion
29-11-2011, 11:08
Im going to be running a 40k rpg
Don't you need a license to use intellectual property from Games-Workshop? Or it is something private and small instead of something public?

ctsteel
29-11-2011, 11:30
If you have some white dwarfs you could maybe scan the icons they use in their battle reports to represent various units/vehicles and change colours etc as required? The icons for vehicles tend to be top-down representations of the model so might be useful.

Charax
29-11-2011, 11:36
Find the last set of 40K files for Vassal, open them up and strip out the images. Been a while since I've used it, but I messed around with the datafiles a bit and they're easy to use.

If you develop a 40k framework please post a link

TheDean
29-11-2011, 11:38
^This.

Also, sometimes there are "Tilesets" for Vassal with accompanying overview-pictures available online that you might use directly. Might be a bit pixelated though.

Alternatively there was one guy at DakkaDakka that did awesome 2-D Top Down battle reports... Lemme dig if I find the links again.

++Edit: Found it!
The guy's Name was GlaiveCompany. Check his Batreps, maybe you can salvage a lot of the icons. HERE's (http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/206101.page#231981)an example.

An I even did one in that style here on the boards, ages ago, HERE (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203902).

Inquisitor Kallus
02-12-2011, 18:31
Don't you need a license to use intellectual property from Games-Workshop? Or it is something private and small instead of something public?

:rolleyes:

anyway.......

Thanks guys. Ill check them out now, sound like theyll prove helpful.