PDA

View Full Version : Is GW cheating 40k players or is 40k plastic just more expensive?

thomas
29-11-2011, 13:28
I just looking through the christmas deals and gifts in the catalog you get with White dwarf and something hit me. All the 40k boxes, starter kits and army deals are much more expensive that the warhammer battle ones per miniature!?

The best case of this is the megaforce set VS the army set! You get 35 space marines models (4 of this are tanks) for 130 and for the same 130 you can get 113 skaven models (only 2 of this are bigger models)!?

I play both 40k and battle so I know you use less models in 40k that battle, but the price difference is huge and I can see no reason for this price difference?
I know not all would agree with me on this. But the I personalty find the new skaven miniatures generally better sculpted and more detailed that the space marines.

Even if you look at dark elder and high elf army deal (which much closer in the sculpture and detail to each other) you still pay 1.2 more per miniature!

My question is a simple one why is 40k so much more expensive?

DaemonReign
29-11-2011, 13:36
Supply and demand?

Space Marine plastic sculpts ought to be a fair bit older compared to the Skaven sprues you compare them too. Maybe GW simply learnt something along the way.. it could happen.

I don't play 40k but I hear Space Marines are the engine that drives that system unlike any race in WHFB. Perhaps they simply charge what they can - pure and simple.

Well I don't know.. Calling it 'cheating' is.. well.. It's not like the price isn't known to you when you pick the box off the shelf..?:p

Korraz
29-11-2011, 13:56
GW Prices: In no way connected to actual content.

Belongs to General, though.

bolshie
29-11-2011, 14:02
Which WFB uses Space Marines?

brother_maynard
29-11-2011, 14:02
if i were trying to apply any sort of logic to your point, i'd go with price elasticity of demand. people are going to buy space marines no matter what, as daemonreign said, they are the engine that drives 40k.

tsuruki
29-11-2011, 14:28
Theres a lot more then just plastic in those boxes.
heres a content list:
A: Blood sweat and tears of the designers who made the models and fit them to sprues.
B: Blood sweat and tears of the people who made the casts and moulds of everything.
C: A few fingerprints of the people who packaged the box
D: Rats ****, given by the pricing department of GW.

But in reality, someone made a comment about there being less models in 40K then fantasy, which is correct, thus a supply and demand thing, people need less of one thing so you better make sure they pay extra for it to make back what you loose by not requiring them to buy more.
Also: What fits in the box?

Generally 40k models sold in normal 5-10 model boxed sets are (in my opinion) cheaper then most WFB kits, buy a necron Triarch Praetorian/Lychguard set recently? Think that was overpriced? How about a box of Stormvermin? Or Greatswords? Were those overpriced? If i calculate correctly, 5 lychguard equate roughly 1/9th of a normal 1850 40k list, 10 Stormvermin equate 1/28th of a 2000 point list. And guess which kit is more expensive.

I think these ridiculous WFB value boxes are one way GW has to throw us poor WFB players a litle bone, and I for one appreciate that, even though I think GW prices its models a fair bit too high, 40k and WFB.

Wintermute
29-11-2011, 20:07
All discussions related to GW's Pricing Policy are restricted to a thread which can be found here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209297). Which is why I've closed this thread.

Wintermute