PDA

View Full Version : Why can you buy only 1 Finecast?

musical
29-11-2011, 17:38
Hi just a quick question. Inde shop keeper told me one thing they like about finecast is that you can order just 1 blister instead of a minimum of 2 metal ones. Obviously in a small shop this works out a lot better for them, but why the difference?

EmperorNorton
29-11-2011, 17:42
The blisters with metal minis always were packed two to a small cardboard box, which I guess was easier for shipping them to make sure they would not be damaged.
So maybe they don't do that anymore for finecast?

musical
29-11-2011, 17:45
You are right, the metal blister were a bit triangle along the edge so 2 fits well in a rectangle box where as the finecast boxes are more rectangular so come on its own. Do you think that is it? So it is down to the packaging.

Spiney Norman
29-11-2011, 22:09
This is intentional, its so when the inevitable request for replacements come in they only have to send out one model rather than 2.

Scaryscarymushroom
01-12-2011, 01:13
This is intentional, its so when the inevitable request for replacements come in they only have to send out one model rather than 2.

For average consumers, they used to send out single metal blister packs for replacements all the time. I don't think it's related to replacements. I'm pretty sure it only applies to ordering for independent retailers.

blongbling
01-12-2011, 08:47
box sizes most likely

bolshie
01-12-2011, 08:56
Apparently GW can only make a 1/4 of the models in Finecast that they could make in the same time using metal.

So it's probably an issue of stock control.

destroyerlord
01-12-2011, 09:25
Apparently GW can only make a 1/4 of the models in Finecast that they could make in the same time using metal.

So it's probably an issue of stock control.

This sounds the most reasonable to me. Remember finecast models have a max order of 5 of any one type of model due to supply restraints.

I image (but am by no means certain) that this is because they are using most of their casting machines to do metals still. As more of the range is converted into resin and more of their demand is for resin than metal they should be able to increase their supply.

Demonborger
01-12-2011, 13:55
It's due to packaging as has been said. The metal blisters used to come in a white cardboard box big enough to hold two blisters. how much finecast they can produce might play a role too but that would be in terms of maximum amounts the indy can order rather than the minimum amount.

packaged like this
|p|
|d|

Okuto
01-12-2011, 21:56
I think it's more with GW getting use to the logistics. Once they get use to it and get production up and running, we'll start seeing more finecrap in a store near you

Spiney Norman
01-12-2011, 22:19
For average consumers, they used to send out single metal blister packs for replacements all the time. I don't think it's related to replacements. I'm pretty sure it only applies to ordering for independent retailers.

Sorry for not making things clear, but I was being sarcastic there.

I think it's more with GW getting use to the logistics. Once they get use to it and get production up and running, we'll start seeing more finecrap in a store near you

Its already happening, the bookshop on the high street where I lived got their first Finecast kits with their order this week (mangler squigs and Jabberslythe), up until now GW has only ever sent them books and plastic kits unless they specifically ordered it.

Archibald_TK
01-12-2011, 22:46
Hi just a quick question. Inde shop keeper told me one thing they like about finecast is that you can order just 1 blister instead of a minimum of 2 metal ones. Obviously in a small shop this works out a lot better for them, but why the difference?
It works better for us and we're not that small of a shop =/ It works better for every shop.

There are probably multiple reasons, some obvious being:
- Resin production is slower than metal, if you deliver them by pack of two blisters then you are able to deserve less shops.
- Resin is costlier, it would make shops consider not ordering a reference if two blisters are considered too much of an investment.

Also this is 2011, GW is not in the same shape as in 2004 so courting their retailers more by making ordering easier may be one of their goal:
- Shops will be less inclined to keep on the shelves a model that sells slowly if they have to order two of it each time.
- It allows retailers to order some models that are not on the shelves when they have an interested customer, and to do so without a second thought. A retailer will be less inclined to order a model that sells very poorly for a customer if he is forced to buy two of them and end up having to try to sell the second one.
- Place on the shelves is an issue for a lot of shops (especially in Europe), especially for retailers that sell far more than just GW miniatures. GW already has what is probably one of the worst ratio between space occupied/revenue I have ever seen. The single blister is now a good way to help alleviate that issue.

To put it simply, it's just better marketing.

ModelCalamity
02-12-2011, 04:47
it was something we were pushing for in trade along with more combined boxes like the GK's

seems i left too soon :D

AlphariusOmegon20
02-12-2011, 04:53
You are right, the metal blister were a bit triangle along the edge so 2 fits well in a rectangle box where as the finecast boxes are more rectangular so come on its own. Do you think that is it? So it is down to the packaging.

You are close but still wrong.

Finecast Blisters are sent loose in a big box now, as opposed to the little box metal blisters used to be sent in inside the big cardboard box.

They simply didn't want to have to buy new boxes for the blisters.