PDA

View Full Version : Question about assault on black reach pack...

chebba98
30-11-2011, 04:49
I don't know if this has already been addressed but i couldn't find it anywhere and the search isn't working for me so i thought id just ask. Why is the assault on black reach pack so cheap? Ive added up the normal prices for the models and they almost come to $300... Am i missing something like are these older versions of some models or something cause i don't know why you would just buy this then part it out and sell everything separately and make a bunch of money. Its not like i am going to do that but its just for the amount of models you get for how much your paying it just seems amazing. What am i missing here?

massey
30-11-2011, 04:53
1. It's not that cheap anymore. It used to be sixty bucks.

2. They aren't the same models you get in the individual boxes. These are snap-togethers that still look pretty good, but aren't quite as nice as the normal ones you buy. They're like 90% as good.

3. People have divided up the boxes and sold their parts on ebay. Some of them are very dishonest and treat the models as though they are the regular expensive kind.

4. Finally, to answer your question. :) The reason it is cheap is because it's a starter box. It's supposed to get you hooked. Drug dealers often give away the first hit for free, you know. ;)

chebba98
30-11-2011, 05:05
1. It's not that cheap anymore. It used to be sixty bucks.

2. They aren't the same models you get in the individual boxes. These are snap-togethers that still look pretty good, but aren't quite as nice as the normal ones you buy. They're like 90% as good.

3. People have divided up the boxes and sold their parts on ebay. Some of them are very dishonest and treat the models as though they are the regular expensive kind.

What!?! $60 jeez what happened to that i thought it was cheap at $100 and yea i knew it was something like that...snap together...but still great for starter.

4. Finally, to answer your question. :) The reason it is cheap is because it's a starter box. It's supposed to get you hooked. Drug dealers often give away the first hit for free, you know. ;)

lol i laughed so hard at this...

baphomael
30-11-2011, 13:09
Yea, the minis are monopose snap fits, which is gather help with the cost. They're nice (I love the captain model) but somewhat limiting... the poses can get a little repetative

gutsmaka
30-11-2011, 13:15
the dreadnaut is good as it's the only way to get a multi melta other than forge world. it also has the only good looking deff coptas

Spider-pope
30-11-2011, 18:16
The models are snap fit, but once they are painted there is hardly any difference.

Whether you are an Ork player or a Marine player, Black Reach is an absolute bargain.

Rhamag
30-11-2011, 18:33
The problem the mono-pose Orks have (all having an arm up in the air at right-angles to the body thus waving their weapons over their heads) can be solved by simply cutting off the hand and turning through 90deg. Works a treat. The Nobz are not too difficult to convert using spares from the regular plastic Nobz box.

baphomael
30-11-2011, 19:14
Either way, its a really good deal that more than makes up for snap-fit. Want a melta dread and some fist termis? May as well buy black reach and get a load of free stuff to boot - the dread and termis are great, its not as if the regular models are *that* posable anyways (in fact, the dread is just as posable, really).

Okuto
30-11-2011, 19:23
It's what we call a loss leader

You sell a product at a loss in hopes that you can collect money from them long term

Much like a phone company sells you a phone at a loss by collects cash long term with the service plan that comes with it

Though I honestly don't think the black reach starter is sold at a loss anymore...

massey
30-11-2011, 20:02
The actual plastic is dirt cheap. Plastic costs literally pennies. Now, the setup costs for Black Reach would have to be taken into account (there's what, like 4 big sprues there?). But I'm sure they've made those up by now. The question then goes to opportunity cost. By making these cheap guys available, is GW cutting into future sales? Are people not buying a $37 tactical squad because they can buy Black Reach for $100 and get all this extra stuff? Or does this get people into the hobby? Does it increase overall sales or decrease overall sales?

I think GW's entry cost is still too high. There are a lot of 12 year olds who would love to play this game who can't because mom and dad won't pay $500 for him to get a 2000 point Eldar army. Now, if you could bring the cost down to $50 or $100, and the kid has everything he needs to play right away? Parents can justify that. It's the cost of a video game. So your choice becomes, do I sell this kid something at a reduced price, or not sell him anything at all? Do the benefits of selling the kid a starter set at a reduced price outweigh the cost of having cheapskates not buy your tactical box?