PDA

View Full Version : Starting Tyranids, what does not come with there models?

vstag
30-11-2011, 10:43
I am going to slowly start a new Tyranid army(already have IG and BA) and whant to know what units don't come with the bits to build all there options before I start buying more. All I have now is just the battleforce box. Does the Hive Tyrant come with all his options, or the Carnifex? Anythings else I should know before I start buying more? I already know there is no model for some of the things in the book, any chance they will see a 2012 release?

Corvus Corone
30-11-2011, 10:54
There is no Tervigon, tyrannofex or harpy.

Don't expect a release anytime this or next year. Tyranids are possibly involved in some legal battle that means we may never see those models.

I wouldn't expect a tyranid release this side of their next codex (maybe another 4 years).

The carnifex comes with all options, I believe, while the Hive tyrant comes with some of them (notable ommission being wings).

Warriors have no wings, lashwhips or boneswords.

Forgeworld make a winged tyrant with some options and also winged warriors.

Actually, since I'm here; Have you considered playing Dark Eldar?

Cheeslord
30-11-2011, 11:00
Tyranids are possibly involved in some legal battle that means we may never see those models.

I had not heard that before. Is there any way to chase up this rumour?

Mark.

vstag
30-11-2011, 11:05
Never really considered getting Dark Eldar, Tyranids just seem really fun to play win or lose. If its a legal thing I hope it gets sorted out soon, I suck at conversions. Sucks about the Lash Whips and Boneswords I was thinking about useing them with those.

Corvus Corone
30-11-2011, 11:20
I had not heard that before. Is there any way to chase up this rumour?

Mark.

Erm, I can't link you to the sources because it's been a while since I read them, but it revolves around the fact that some other companies (notably chapterhouse games) made models before games workshop did. This might mean (hence the legal dispute) that, while GW own copyright to the name and fluff, the other company has rights associated with models themselves since they got there first.

Like all legal messes, this will take a lot of time and money and the battle is still being fought.

There was a rumour that gw might just release a new monster, with a new name but the same rules, via white dwarf, but I can't see it happening.

Tyranids lose.

EDIT: I asked about the dark eldar simply because they've actually got a somewhat similar feel to the army, but are vastly superior in terms of model range and codex quality (and by quality, I don't mean power, I just mean ease of use and craftsmanship).

Tyranids are mostly fine for friendly play, but some of their rules are so terribly badly written that they even ruin a lot of fun things. Good example is the trygon tunnel; what a cool idea, but nigh on usuable even in friendly play since it revolves around your trygon arriving before the stuff you want to come out of the hole (hopefully turn 2), the rest of the stuff has to not arrive on turn 2 and use the hole in turn 3 (or even 3+) - the odds of this happening are not good. Maybe one game in three you might get to use the tunnel for what you planned.

Lictors too are a case study in how to turn an epic icon of 40k into something that is incredibly hard to use even in friendly games just because the rules simply don't work.

I could go on... At the end of the day, you should play the army and models you want, and if that's tyranids, then go for it. I'd only say that you should go in with your eyes open.