PDA

View Full Version : New player, blood angels, tips plz

Algovil
30-11-2011, 12:20
Have not played since 2nd edition, now found lots of blood angels lying around, this was back in the days, started a thread in the army list forum, but since I do not have a list, I thought it would be better here.

What would you do with the following?

Captain, with powerfist.
Chaplain
Librarian with staff
Techmarine with harness I think
Sanguinary priest
Standard bearer

9 deathcompany, with all sorts of weapons.
10 tactical marines with sergeant flamer and rocket launcher
10 devastator with sergeant, 2 heavy bolters, 1 lascannon, 1 rocket launcher
5 scouts with sergeant, boltpistol and blades/big knifes

1 Razorback with lasplasma
1 Predator with autocannon +lascannon sponsons

Thanks!

DeeKay
30-11-2011, 13:01
What would you do with the following?

Captain, with powerfist.
Chaplain
Librarian with staff
Sanguinary priest
Standard bearer

Thanks!

The Power Fist Captain is virtually useless nowadays. I would use the model to replace the sergeant in the Tac Squad. Other than that, it's simply a case of seeing what else works there.

With regards,
Dan.

Carnage
30-11-2011, 16:40
Migrating a 2nd edition army to 5th is tough, a lot of the weapon options don't exist anymore, and the armies tended to be a lot more character heavy. Now-a-days the armies are a lot more troop heavy and a lot of the wargear options have been stream-lined.

Captain, with powerfist.
Captains are bad. For Blood Angels they are REALLY bad. Likely to be benched unless you want to use him as a powerfist sergeant in your tactical squad.

Chaplain
Will be leading your Death Company most likely.

Librarian with staff
Will be your HQ

Benched, techies are poor.

Sanguinary priest
Useful. Will be included.

Standard bearer

Benched. Cannot be used until you have an honor guard.

This is where your real problems start. Most people will suggest not using DC, but they aren't completely awful. The real issue for you will be weapons. They probably have an assortment of power axes, swords, fists, hand flamers, plasma pistols and who knows what else. These days the standard kit is bolt pistol and chainsword, anything other then that is extra points, and a lot of points at that. I'd suggest going at LEAST 50% of the models with bp/CCW, and limiting the number of powerfists to 1 or 2 other wise the squad cost spirals out of control in a hurry. Try to keep the cost for the 9 of them below 300 points.

Also, you didn't mention if they have jet packs or not, but they need a transport or jet packs, they can't be expected to walk into HtH.

Going to have to use them to meet compulsory minimum troop choices. Be warned though, BA and tactical squads don't work too well together, as they tend to use assault squads almost exclusively.

Troop choice #2

That's a second edition devastator box for you....ugh. Poor weapon selection. Ideally you want 3 missile and a lascannon or 4 missiles.

These are AWESOME for blood angels, I personally run 3 of em in 1500 points.

Perfect setup for a predator these days.

As for a list?

HQ
100 Librarian (hangs with the tactical or scout squad)

Elite
125 Jetpack Chaplain (goes with death company)
50 Sanguinary priest (Hangs with the tactical squad)

Troops
170 Tactical squad w/missile and flamer (I'd suggest combat squading them)
90 Razorback (flamer + serg + 3 tactical marines + libby in here sometimes)

370 9 Death Company, jetpacks, 2 power weapons, 1 powerfist (Oh god that's expensive!)
75 5 Scouts, BP/CCW

Heavy Support
135 Predator, lascannon sponsons
235 10 Devastators, 2 hvy bolter, 1 missile, lascannon (Combat squad these guys, 2 heavy bolters in 1 squad, the missile, lascannon and sergeant in the other)
---------
1275 points. Get rid of the powerfist on the DC and you have 1250 points. Or add some stuff (Captain, techmarine, etc) and try out 1500. It's not a great list really, but it's enough to get you started for now. Basic strategy is bunker up around your predator and devastor squads, use the scouts to run out and capture forward objectives. Librarian rides with some flamer tacticals and combined with the death company forms your forwards assault element.

Algovil
30-11-2011, 18:01
Thank you guys, nice to see that at least a few of the models are viable. The models were more standard back then, the same rules for all space marines really, now the chapters differ a lot, and the list is not really blood angels like!

Should have mentioned that Death Company does Not have jump packs, neither the chaplain, so they need some kind of transport. I can see myself buying a few models if necessary. I am quite proud of the modelling and paint job of these guys so at least a few of them will see battle! True that they have all kinds of weapons, If I can choose a few of them I can probably come up with a solution enough WYSIWYG for our group. What about, 5 DC, 1 power fist, a powerweapon or two, lead by the chaplain in the razorback?

Like I said I can see myself getting a few more units, I would prefer Terminators or a dread, but honestly it seems like a blood angel list needs assault marines right? What would you buy? Jump packs or transport? The sanguinary priest is on foot without jump pack FYI. Could a rhino with 10 assault marines+ priest work? Or should I go for something else?

The list looks interesting, no jump packs though. I will use the devastators and the tanks.

Carnage
30-11-2011, 18:32
Thank you guys, nice to see that at least a few of the models are viable. The models were more standard back then, the same rules for all space marines really, now the chapters differ a lot, and the list is not really blood angels like!

Yeah, with the exception of your Death Company your army looks more like a 'Vanilla' marines list, or basically Ultramarines.

Should have mentioned that Death Company does Not have jump packs, neither the chaplain, so they need some kind of transport. I can see myself buying a few models if necessary. I am quite proud of the modelling and paint job of these guys so at least a few of them will see battle! True that they have all kinds of weapons, If I can choose a few of them I can probably come up with a solution enough WYSIWYG for our group. What about, 5 DC, 1 power fist, a powerweapon or two, lead by the chaplain in the razorback?

Should work for now, but it's going to be a #1 priority target for your opponents.

Like I said I can see myself getting a few more units, I would prefer Terminators or a dread, but honestly it seems like a blood angel list needs assault marines right? What would you buy? Jump packs or transport? The sanguinary priest is on foot without jump pack FYI. Could a rhino with 10 assault marines+ priest work? Or should I go for something else?

A rhino would be a good start, then you can put the 10 man chaplain + DC squad in it. You also cannot put the priest + 10 assault marines in a rhino as they only carry 10 models, not 11.

The list looks interesting, no jump packs though. I will use the devastators and the tanks.[/QUOTE]

Algovil
04-12-2011, 11:43
Hello again guys, thank you for your answers. Not sure how to do here!

Now for the tactical marines, they are old models, from the 2nd ed starter set, not the most dynamic sculpts, so I can see myself buying new models, assault marines, terminators, dreadnoughts to get the army working!

The death company and the tanks does still look great after all these years, so as long as I can get them working I am happy! The devastators will probably also stay.

So the army will be based around a death company, why not use all 10 of them with chaplain, maybe not perfect, but, they are death company, who can pass up on that. I guess footslogging is suicide, is a rhino OK then? Or is it to vulnerable not familiar with the 5th ed book, even though I skipped through the book, never played a game in 10+ years.

Is a landraider a better choice? Expensive in points!

So this is the models: narrowed down a bit by reading your comments, no unit have jump packs

9 deathcompany + chaplain/reclusiarch
1 sanguinary priest (no jump pack, ok)
9 devastators + 1 sergeant, 2 HB, 1 LC, 1 ML
4 scouts + 1 sergeant, bolt pistol and swords, old models
1 librarian?
1 razorback, lasplasma
1 predator, autocannon, LC sponsons

I would like to get the deathcompany working OK, that is prio 1!

Otherwise I would no mind a dreadnought just because they are badass, terminators would also be great! No aiming for 100% WAAC at all! What about using scouts to teleport in terminators?

Writing Wall of text here, but honestly feel a bit lost in 40k nowadays

thanks

EDIT: looking for 1500, that is the common point value right?