PDA

View Full Version : Magic Armour Question

Dajian
30-11-2011, 23:44
Is it possible for a character that doesn't wear an armour to purchase a magic armour from it's budget for magic items?

e.g.: Is it possible for a skaven assassin to wear the Armour of Silvered Steel?

AMWOOD co
01-12-2011, 00:27
Yes (for your example) and no (for others).

The limitation is listed in the rulebook, but I'll sum it up. Any Wizard who cannot wear normal armour of any kind cannot have magic armour (note that this does not include barding for a steed). Any other character may buy magic armour.

Right now, the exception allows Ogres, Chaos Warriors, and Vampires (I think) to buy magic armour among all wizards.

10_minute_pie
01-12-2011, 02:06
Actually, Ogre Butchers and slaughtermasters can buy magic armour, as they have the option to buy a shield (i.e. iron fist), but fire bellies can't (no ironfist option, nor do they come equipped with light armour IIRC)

AMWOOD co
01-12-2011, 07:32
Actually, Ogre Butchers and slaughtermasters can buy magic armour, as they have the option to buy a shield (i.e. iron fist), but fire bellies can't (no ironfist option, nor do they come equipped with light armour IIRC)

Ah, thanks for the clear up. Also, I know that Necromancers cannot wear armour and so cannot have magic armour, but I listed only armies, not individual characters.

a18no
05-12-2011, 02:21

I don't have mi book in front of me, but I think that the butcher can't have the ironfist, only the slaughtermaster can.

narrativium
05-12-2011, 11:32
a18no: Incorrect. They can both have the ironfist. The difference in weapon options is the great weapon.

Dreadlordpaul
05-12-2011, 12:33
Ah, thanks for the clear up. Also, I know that Necromancers cannot wear armour and so cannot have magic armour, but I listed only armies, not individual characters.

1 necromancer in ur army can have a piece of magic armour because one of them can have night shroud

Mid'ean
05-12-2011, 14:35
1 necromancer in ur army can have a piece of magic armour because one of them can have night shroud

Only the nightshroud though.

Dajian
08-02-2012, 18:11
Thanks for all the answers!

Mr_Rose
08-02-2012, 23:42
a18no: Incorrect. They can both have the ironfist. The difference in weapon options is the great weapon.

You might want to check the errata on that one.

oldWitheredCorpse
10-02-2012, 07:26
The ironfists on slaughtermasters thing was a blunder. Totally unmotivated.

Count Zero
10-02-2012, 07:33
What about empire wizards with the armour of Tarnus? which gives them light armour and a 5+ ward. Ok not sure why you'd take it as it's 5pts more than the BRB 5+ ward so you are paying 5pts for the light armour but i guess it would keep your talisman slot free.

quietus1986
10-02-2012, 15:54
Necromancers can wear the Nightshroud.

Mid'ean
10-02-2012, 16:55
Necromancers can wear the Nightshroud.

Yeah, but works much better on a Wightking body guarding for a Vamp Lord making both pretty hard to kill when both can have a 1+ or 2+ AS and nobody gets any strength bonuses........:evilgrin:

blackstork
11-02-2012, 20:02
Right now, the exception allows Ogres, Chaos Warriors, and Vampires (I think) to buy magic armour among all wizards.

Is it means that Chaos Sorcerer can take magic shield or helm as well?

Mr. Shine
11-02-2012, 20:35
Is it means that Chaos Sorcerer can take magic shield or helm as well?

Yes. They wear Chaos Armour, and so are able to take Magic Armour.

hazmiter
17-02-2012, 07:14
Is it possible to give a hero or lord a set af magic armour and a magic shield? And is it possible to run 2 shields of ghrond in an army? Just a querry from a noob, who is learning dark elves.

Artinam
17-02-2012, 08:10
No and No,
You can only take a single magic item (per hero) from every section (weapon, armour, talisman ect). Some are even restricted to casters (Arcane items).
There were some exceptions to this but they seem to be disappearing.

Second, you cannot duplicate magical items unless specifically exempted. This is also for the common magic item from the big rulebook (a mistake I sometimes see made). So generally its one shield of Grond per army.

hazmiter
17-02-2012, 08:30
Ah ok, so no sorceress with 2 arcane items then.

Artinam
17-02-2012, 08:36
In normal situations no. This changed from the previous edition, where there were situation you could have multiples of certain items.

theshoveller
17-02-2012, 08:46
What about empire wizards with the armour of Tarnus? which gives them light armour and a 5+ ward. Ok not sure why you'd take it as it's 5pts more than the BRB 5+ ward so you are paying 5pts for the light armour but i guess it would keep your talisman slot free.
Precisely that, you're essentially paying 3 points for that privilege (as Light Armour usually costs about 2 points). It's worth noting that you can put Empire wizards (or maybe just wizard lords) on a barded warhorse, giving them a 4+ armour save in total. With a 5+ Ward, that's quite respectable.

RanaldLoec
17-02-2012, 17:34
A character can only wear magic armour if they have the option to wear armour in their army list entry.

The only exceptions are listed in respective books.

Eg empire: armour of Tarnus

hazmiter
18-02-2012, 04:58
Ah makes sense then, due to possible double 6 for power dice, they needed to level it.
As a new player, can anyone give the pros and cons of the hero and lord types, combat vs magic... Already figured out the cons of a front line supreme sorceress......