PDA

View Full Version : Deathwatch

Helbrecht
19-04-2006, 01:38
Does anyone use Deathwatch, I have a squad but am wondering whether to use them or not?(Rules are in WD 305)

DW Captain w/bolt pistol and power weapon
DW Veteran w/lightning claws
DWx2 w/Heavy Bolters
DWx2 w/bolters

(Evil)Ash
19-04-2006, 02:04
Why not? there's no harm in trying.

personally, I'm now waiting on my ten men squad I ordered through mail Order:D

Helbrecht
19-04-2006, 03:51
what do u plan on equipping them with?

emperorattack
19-04-2006, 03:52
I did once they worked verywell against aliens but suck in my experience against marines

Morathi's Darkest Sin
19-04-2006, 08:12
I don't use mine every game, in fact for the good of gaming friendships I only bring them out in big games usually three way games where my Guard are involved.

The last two times I've used them they devestated my opponents, in the first game neither realised the potential power the Deathwatch had and a ten man squad with rerolling wounds on bolters and two Heavy Bolters tore through five squads over the two sides.. Ork and Tyranid.
The second time they knew what to expect, but the brave boys took a raging storm of incoming fire, but five survived including both Hvy Bolters and they tore through three times their points in enemies.

Although I haven't had the chance to test them on Marines yet.

BloodiedSword
19-04-2006, 10:15
They are nice but not overpowered by any stretch of the imagination. No matter what you do to them, at the end of the day they are still T4, 3+ save, 1 wound marines, and when they get shot at they go down fast.

I prefer attaching them to squads instead of fielding them as a separate kill team - it just seems more logical to me that when a kill team gets assigned to a battle, they'd split up and have one member lending his expertise to each squad, instead of all clumping together in one squad and ignoring the rest of the army.

Though the downside of that is that you're paying a 5 pt upgrade per model for... well, very little really.

Inquisitor lorr
19-04-2006, 12:20
Yeh i'm planning on doing an ordos xenos army soon with marines and having every model as deathwatch led by a kill team:D .anyway if you have the models ,as has been said,then theres no harm trying.I haven't played with them but i imagine they would be very fun and different.

(Evil)Ash
20-04-2006, 01:38
Hey btw, while we're still on the DeathWatch subject. I had a read through the rules again (probably just to tease myself while I wait for my order to come in). and I noticed that models (veterans) with a power fist/ weapon and one lightning claw (so still holding a bolter) are not allowed to have those special bullits. is this right? it seems a bit odd.

greetz,:evilgrin:

ps. "Morathi's Darkest Sin" what rules do u use in threeway battles? we usually use the set-up for 'battle at the camps' (excluding the bit about the captains in the center) and objective rules for Carnage (so the closest one to the center ate the end wins). Just wondering if you have a better idea (this one doesn't work that well with bigger armies).

sulla
20-04-2006, 02:07
Hey btw, while we're still on the DeathWatch subject. I had a read through the rules again (probably just to tease myself while I wait for my order to come in). and I noticed that models (veterans) with a power fist/ weapon and one lightning claw (so still holding a bolter) are not allowed to have those special bullits. is this right? it seems a bit odd.

unfortunately, you are reading it correctly. The rules also don't give the deathwatch 'And they shall have no fear', either. I suggest you talk with your friends and allow a couple of house rules allowing both...

Sulla

Morathi's Darkest Sin
20-04-2006, 11:43
ps. "Morathi's Darkest Sin" what rules do u use in threeway battles? we usually use the set-up for 'battle at the camps' (excluding the bit about the captains in the center) and objective rules for Carnage (so the closest one to the center ate the end wins). Just wondering if you have a better idea (this one doesn't work that well with bigger armies).

We triangulate the batlefield for set up purposes, so we all start equally apart, means smaller set up zones, but if the table is big enough it can cope.. feels a little bit like starting in a quarter in cleanse. Oh and yes this means the tips of the triangle not the long edges.. where the tips are we make a starting square.

We tend to use the carnage thing as well.. but they tends towards a big mosh at the centre. To counter that we also do a take and hold varient, with one in the centre, and then three more roughly where the middle of the triangles long lines would be.

*damn this would be easier if I could draw it.. but hopefully you get the idea.*

Oh a side note... When we get a fourth player we have another interesting varient where you all roll a D6, higest gets to draw one of the other three players names from a hat, then the emaining two also get paired off. Basically each player gets an additional 50/100pts (depending on game size) per unit/scoring vehicle they destroy of their drawn rival's forces. We then roll for table side selction who ever wins picks the edge, then his rival goes opposite him, and the other two rivals opposite eachother, so to get to the extra pts you have to get through the centre of the battlefield.. it's a lot of fun. :D

(Evil)Ash
20-04-2006, 11:46
unfortunately, you are reading it correctly. The rules also don't give the deathwatch 'And they shall have no fear', either. I suggest you talk with your friends and allow a couple of house rules allowing both...

Sulla

bloody hell, :wtf: you're right. I didn't even notice that. it looks like they just copied the rules (and so mistakes) from the old Chapter Aproved.

We triangulate the batlefield ... *snip* of the battlefield.. it's a lot of fun. :D

Thanx a lot, it's a great idea to use the tips of the triangle instead of the long sides. usually when we used the deployment on the long edges it always left out one of the players while the other ones destroyed eachother. I'll try this, first thing this weekend.

also a small note, when playing with more then 2 players we usually allow players to shoot at close combat if his army is not involved in this particular fight (seems logical to shoot the enemy if you can't be harmed, and this doesn't leave shooty armies, like tau, out of the game) and we use the rules for outnumberment (assualt) to determin which side is hit (so monsterous creatures are 10, small walkers 5, big ones 10 though characters count as 1). so if a unit of 5 is fighting cc with a SM dread there is a 1 to 3 chance the unit is hit (in this case we would roll D3 per hit and all the 1s are on the unit while the reat is on the dread).

greetz,:evilgrin:

Snakebite
20-04-2006, 11:51
I have a single Deathwatch Marine, back in service with his Chapter after spending some time Xenos killing on the frontier. I've not tried him out in battle yet, although I hope to have a game later today.

Mine carries a bolter, assault weapon and the Inferno shells.

Gaebriel
20-04-2006, 13:39
I'm using five-squads which either whatever ammunition appropriate as a generic HQ, 2 heavy bolters and Kraken for AP4 support fire, or all Power weapons for assault (excellent against Necrons ;) ). So I have 12 models, plus an appropriate Rhino, Razorback and Drop pod at hand.

I see them more as a fluff choice than anything else, but they don't perform too shabby.

Snakebite
20-04-2006, 14:03
I see them more as a fluff choice than anything else, but they don't perform too shabby.

Exactly the reason I took them.