PDA

View Full Version : How should I build a Chaos Lord?

ShreddinMMA
01-12-2011, 18:52
From experience, glass cannon hyper lords die quick in combat since people always want to focus them.

Luckily, is seems between common magic items, marks, banners, and the Chaos Lord's super statline, he can be very tanky while still butchering most characters in challenges.

My ideas right now are:

Lord with: Warrior Bane, Trickster Helm, Talisman of Preservation, MoT.

Lord with: Chaos Runesword, Talisman of preservation, Enchanted Shield, MoT.

Please give me some thoughts if you can. Also, I'd like advice if I should mount him on a disk or some mount and have him go solo, or if I should leave him on foot and put him in a unit.

Thank you in advance!

EDIT: Right now I was thinking of putting him with MoT or MoN warriors with the banner of rage.

BigbyWolf
01-12-2011, 19:12
I tend to use a mostly defensive set-up: Father of Blades , Armour of Damnation, 6+ Ward talisman and Mark of Tzeentch (to make the ward 5+). Not super-killy, but 5 S5 attacks can get the job done over a couple of turns, and the sword/ armour combo makes the attacker reroll and successful hits, and any roles of a "1" are resolved against the attacker. It's really satisfying to watch enemy characters behead themselves...

He's usually mounted on a Chaos Steed with some Knights.

Deathbysoup
01-12-2011, 19:12
Most people usually throw Chaos lords on a juggernaught. Foot Lords are generally considered weaker.

Perhaps go with Sword of swift slaying for the ASF and an enchanted shield along with MoT. Should mean he has a 2+ armor save and combined with talisman of preservation should have a 5++

Or you could go for a berkserker sword which is handy if theres something else in the unit thats gonna do all the challenges.

Morax
01-12-2011, 20:48
What are you hoping to do with him? This will give you some direction as to take with his loadout. Consider the role on the field he should be taking and go from there. Is he going to be a tarpit? Is he going to add combat punch to a weaker unit? Provide horde clearing for a unit lacking in attacks? The role you choose for him should shore up a weakness or short-coming in a unit or in your list.

Running a combat character solo is possible only for the most hardy, we're talking pendant of kaleth 1+AS stubborn dark elf lords. You can get close to that with a Chaos Lord but it can get pricey quick and do you really need the tarpit when you have access to Warshrines of Tzeentch? If this is what you are looking for then Talisman of Preservation, Enchanted Shield, Crown of Command, Mark of Tzeentch, Disc of Tzeentch and a unit of Knights is the way to go. This build would get him a 1+/3++ save, stubborn and a fly move to get off to the target to lock it down. With the inclusion of the unit of knights he gets a meat shield as the disc makes him a cavalry model. Not a bad build but expensive for what he does.

Adding combat punch to a weaker unit or less killy unit is my favorite way to field one. For this he has to bring something to the table that the unit lacks and that is usually a grouping of high strength attacks. A sample build of that would be; Talisman of Preservation, Ogre Blade, Enchanted Shield, Mark of Tzeentch, Soporific Musk. This would get you a 2+/3++ insuring his saftey and 5 strength 7 attacks at weapon skill 8 which is more then enough to put a dent in just about anything. Add on the soporific musk and you have got a combatant that turns a humble unit of tzeentch marauders with shields into a concern.

Horde clearing is not often needed in a WoC list as khorne warriors/marauders point for point do it better then combat lords. The combat lord however can still put a hurting on a horde if you just have to kill that 100 man unit of night goblins your buddy fields every game. That build would be Sword of Bloodshed, Armour of Damnation, Mark of Khorne, Juggernaught of Khorne, Stream of Curruption. This would get you 12 strength 5 attacks, rebounding attacks from the armor and a breath weapon to spend for 2d6 more shots. Great at killing chaff but so are warriors with halberds. This guy does look pretty cool though and that is always a plus.

Hope that helps a bit.

RandomSpecific
01-12-2011, 22:30
always liked

chaos lord
mot/k
helm of many eyes
rending sword
talisman of pres
shield

3+ 3/4++ and re rolls to hit and to wound

inq.serge
02-12-2011, 01:33
I'd go for Dragon helm, shield, halberd or flail, blood-curdling roar, book of secrets, third eye, warrior familiar, necrotic phylactery and a nice mount & mark (I go for slaanesh + dragon or chariot). Good all around lord. Just hope for a good EoTG roll.

With the warrior familiar being able to kill of a champ before challenges, you have a better go at taking down wizards and such.

As for spells, hope for cascading fire-cloak for more damage, withering against tougher fellows, or maybe some of your opponents spells?

Even more fun with Lore of shadow; It's attribute. Combine it with steed of shadows and you can pull of some nasty manoeuvres .

White_13oy
02-12-2011, 02:06
Lord with: Chaos Runesword, Talisman of preservation, Enchanted Shield, MoT.

I believe this build is over points. You must use the point value in the book, and the Enchanted Shield is 10 points. so you're at 105 points for magic items.

TrueKin
02-12-2011, 05:38
My favorite has been a Tzeentch Lord with Talisman of Preservation and a shield (usually a mundane one, sometimes Enchanted) and a Disc. With the rest of the points, some weapon most suitable for the situation, Chaos Runesword, and BRB Sword of Strife and Ogre are quite useful depending on the enemy.

Another fun build would be Tzeentch Lord with Daemonsword, Disc / Daemonic Mount, shield and Collar of Khorne. He's more of a glass cannon than most of my WoC combat lords, and the nature of the weapon makes him a bit unreliable, but being random = fun... :p

ShreddinMMA
02-12-2011, 06:22
I believe this build is over points. You must use the point value in the book, and the Enchanted Shield is 10 points. so you're at 105 points for magic items.

Ah, good catch,

Dreadlordpaul
02-12-2011, 09:22
The Chaos Lord if run would be lord with Mark Of Tzeench Shield Disk Tricksters helm crown of command and the talisman of presevation

logan054
02-12-2011, 12:00
MoT, great weapon, dragon helm and mounted if on a unit of knights, keep him as cheap as possible, strength 7 gives him the killing power while the wardsave gives him they staying power.

RandomSpecific
02-12-2011, 14:29
a great weapon lord says helm of many eyes all over it.

lord
mot
armour of morrslieb
helm of many eyes
dragon bane gem
great weapon

not a bad cost for what he does really,

GodlessM
03-12-2011, 00:16
Most people usually throw Chaos lords on a juggernaught. Foot Lords are generally considered weaker.

You couldn't be more wrong. Number one and less important, Chaos Lords aren't normally taken at all competitively. Number two, going on a Juggernaut means no Mark of Tzeentch for the more important ward save boost. Number three and most importantly, a Lord on foot is considered by most better than a Juggernaut one, not weaker, as the Juggernaut Lord is cannon fodder for the sake of an armour he can almost make by other less risky means.

logan054
03-12-2011, 01:53
I think the cool factor of a jugger rider overrides all of that godless :p

TheOneHawk
03-12-2011, 04:52
My lord loadout. Warning, extremely *********** expensive.

Lord
Dragon
MoN
Glaive of Putrefaction
Charmed Shield
Helm of Many Eyes
Necrotic Phylactery
Soporific Musk
Stream of Corruption

I hope for the regen spell on my MoN casters, and if I get it, cast it on him as much as possible, if not, well, he's still pretty beefy, and he can break and run down units on his own, no problems. Also great for monsters and characters, and is particularly good at killing units on the second turn, IE, just before you get to move again, hopefully getting him into combat and away from cannon fire. He does this via GoP making monsters he's fighting S2T2 in turn two, or character he's in a challenge with, easily killing them, and 3 different breath weapons to really swing a combat, and the ability to use two of them in the same turn if you really want to lay a stomping on something. He's a glass cannon, but I've had good results, however I also haven't used him as much as I would like. Everyone wants small games :(