Bladesinger, 10x Wardancers

* Warhawk Riders (160pts)
4x Warhawk Riders

* Wild Riders of Kurnous (179pts)
Gleaming Pennant, Musician, Standard Bearer, 6x Wild Riders

* Rare (335pts)

* Great Eagles (50pts)

* Treeman (285pts)

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)

The eagle are there to hunt the warmachines. The BsB and the mage starts in each a unit of archers and then get out to be more mobile from turn 2.

What do you think?

popisdead
02-12-2011, 21:09
Do you have one or two Eagles? I cannot tell.

Unarmoured BSBs die. Armour him up and toss him in the Wardancer unit.

Otherwise the list looks pretty good.

jahorin
03-12-2011, 12:26
It's one eagle. So far the lonely BsB has survived not to badly, at least long enough to provide adequate support for the first couple crucial turns of HtH. He gets charge by overunning units since he lays low profile in the back to provide a nice range for the Ld re-roll.

Nightmare84
05-12-2011, 00:16
Years on and I'm still not sold on wild riders... I can't help but think you could find something better to put the points into.
Not sure what your list rules are but I would prefer to drop the stag noble too and get a level 2 Mage.
I have had so much bad luck with only 1 magic user..

jahorin
05-12-2011, 12:40
With vanguard and Mv9 they are great flanker, and they are S5 on the charge, that's why I like them.

I'm thinking of changing the noble for a mage, the problem is that the lore of athel loren is crap, so I would need a lvl 3 to take beast. But I would have to removed a lot of stuff to make a place for him.

The other thing I was toying with, is remove the HoDA from the BsB and put it on a scouting noble with the blades of flaming and potion of strength.

what do you think?

popisdead
07-12-2011, 17:35
I am sure of the Wild Riders. They are an excellent support unit. Five of them pump out 20 attacks when charged.

I don't take upgrades on them though (well the musician is free). I keep then nice and cheap.

Lore of Athel Loren has 3 good spells and three bleh ones. I take a lvl 1 w/ the Dispel Scrol and Ruby Ring.

I've been thinking about two Lord mages, both on Beasts. A couple Wissan's makes Dryads pretty scary. Problem is getting the power dice to do that, Wood Elves suck in the magic department.

I think if you are going Rageth's Wildfire Blades and Potions of Str, make him an Alter Kindred for the WS and Init boost. A Scout noble wouldn't be bad but just another 85 points you give up when you suicide him into something.

I think the HoDA is useless this edition as it means your BSB is nekid and does nothing the rest of the game.

Get another eagle ;-)

jahorin
08-12-2011, 11:41
The HoDA work wonder when used in combination with the unit of glade guard with the Banner of Eternal Flame. All you have to do is drop 1 wound on a regen unit and then unleash the HoDA and they won't be able to use their regen. I've been able to kill a couple of trolls ans a an hydra that what, not to shabby for a 30 pts items.

As for the other I have the unit of warhawk riders for warmachine hunting. This week-end I have a game against ogres.

popisdead
09-12-2011, 21:25
Yeah,. I just rely on other GG for that purpose. Especially with getting about ~10 hits and wounding on 6s? Feels like I'll only get a few more wounds off an HPA. A Hydra is only T5 though right? Dropping it's Breath Weapon to S1/2 would be pretty good.

Plus my BSB would likely be in the same unit as the flaming banner.

I tend to do the Ruby Ring/Amber Spear for the same effect but I've never thought of that use. Guess it's fairly handy eh?

Oh,.. pretty good banter back and forth.

jahorin
12-12-2011, 15:43
Ok, the unit of 6 treekin is staying but I'm going to get rid of the Warhawk, the models are nice but for 160 pts I think I can get something better. I think I'm going to get rid of the wild rider noble as well, with those point I might be able to squeeze a Treeman Ancient,

What do you think?

popisdead
12-12-2011, 22:56
Ancients are a lot of points and risk. IMO general Treemen are less an risk in 8th ed.

You 'have' to take Annoyance if you take an Ancient as getting sucked into a challenge means he's not stomping the unit.

When I take a normal treeman I punch grey seer's in the face and stomp the rats, even if it's two or three turns of combat. Stops a really pricy unit from doing anything more.

Warhawk riders are a great idea and I really really hope they get something unique and useful next book.

jahorin
13-12-2011, 11:56
The main advantage of the Treeman general is by taking the lore of beast, I can cast savage beast of horror on him, 8 attack at strength 9 is quite fun, it also mean D6 S9 thunderstomp :)

Or I can add +3T if I have the spell.

I really like the idea of the warkhawk but for 40 pts each and T3 and 2W it's not point effective enough to keep them.

Here's the revised list

2500pt Wood Elves Roster (Standard)

* Spellweaver (275pts)
Dispel Scroll, Lore of Beast, Wizard level 4

* Treeman Ancient (350pts)
An Annoyance of Netlings

* Noble (130pts)
Asyendi's Bane, Battle Standard Bearer, Hail of Doom Arrow

* Dryads (120pts)
10x Dryads

* Dryads (120pts)
10x Dryads

* Glade Guard (268pts)
Banner of Eternal Flame, 20x Glade Guard, Musician, Standard Bearer

* Glade Guard (126pts)
10x Glade Guard, Musician

* Tree Kin (390pts)
6x Tree Kin

* Wardancer Troupe (180pts)
10x Wardancers

* Wild Riders of Kurnous (156pts)
Musician, 6x Wild Riders

* Great Eagles (50pts)

* Great Eagles (50pts)

* Treeman (285pts)

Anardakil
13-12-2011, 13:59
Popisdead:5 wild riders get 15 attacks when charged, not 20. The horses dont get extra attacks anymore.

popisdead
13-12-2011, 19:37
Popisdead:5 wild riders get 15 attacks when charged, not 20. The horses dont get extra attacks anymore.

Right,.. they get magical attacks now though. Forgot which swap they got in 8th ed.

I still like Wild Riders even with only 15 attacks.

Anardakil
14-12-2011, 06:09
Jahorin:

Are you sure you won't benefit more from Lore of Life with the ancient? Being able to heal the wounds it often takes from warmachines and magic before getting into combat is very useful. i don't think s9 thunderstomps will be useful very often.
i suppose 8 s9 attacks could be useful though :D

Right,.. they get magical attacks now though. Forgot which swap they got in 8th ed.

I still like Wild Riders even with only 15 attacks.

They're still pretty nice. i often use a unit of 5 with musician myself. i'm a still a bit sad that they're no longer able to realistically break ranks though. :cries:

jahorin
14-12-2011, 14:28
@Anardakil : I know the attribute from the lore of life is really useful and regrowth, but giving +1S and +1T as been really useful so far, and also the spear can be cast as a decoy to suck some dispel dice or wound units :) and if I wan to push my luck, I could always go for transformation of kadon!

The savage beast could also be use on BsB in case of emergencies as well, with is high ini, he could dish out a couple (6 attacks) at S7.

The gleaming pendant is a cheap BsB because they are mostly deployed as flankers, so they need the support in case I miss my Ld roll.

jahorin
21-12-2011, 15:15
Played a custom scenario games last nigh against an empire army. The army performed quite well. I've used life, I tried to cast dwellers twice with 6 dices and failed both time! oh well.

The regular treeman got killed when he was rear charge by a unit a 6 inner circle knight with the flaming banner. These guys are tough and I really like having 2 so the opponent has to spread his cannon shot to protect his line. The unit of 6 treekin are pure awesomeness, yes they are expensive but they can deal quite a pounding and with I3 they can strike before a couple of army.

The thing I might change is remove one great eagle to boost both unit to 12 and deploy them 6 by 2. What do you think?