PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elf Dilemma - FREE Black Dragon mount?

mortiferum
02-12-2011, 22:03
So I'm taking part in a competitive campaign. My General is the following

Dark Elf Sorceress
Lvl 3
Lore of Shadow
Sac Dagger

who is accompanied by a rapidly expanding bunker of Spearmen, now numbering 31, with FC, Shields and Standard of Discipline
(was originally a unit of 19 Spearmen, no upgrades)

the increase in no. of models and equipment are from the campaign and are essential free models for the games.

However, I'm now in a dilemma - since my general has now earn't an opportunity to either purchase a FREE mount or a FREE single magical item (max. 50points).

I'm very tempted to take a FREE Black Dragon mount but I really fear that this will actually decrease the survival of my General, what do you think I should do:

Take the FREE 300ish point Black Dragon Mount (or a cheaper mount?) or take a FREE magic item (max. 50 points - what should I get?)

Morty

tmarichards
02-12-2011, 22:12
I'd be inclined to take Lifetaker. Very useful item, and would really suit her better than a dragon- a dragon is of course a combat orientated monster, whereas the Sorceress is not!

Felworth
02-12-2011, 23:05
Cant she just hang on to the Black Dragon till a worthy minion comes along to be promoted to... uh... Dark Elf Warboss?* Keep it it a stable or cave or whatever till then.

Seriously, free Black Dragon! A big stompy beast for a big stompy leader. Even if your bosses arent actually big or stompy but puny and runty.

*Or whatever boss Elves are called. Sorry, I play Orcs and Goblins so all Elves look (and stink) pretty much alike so I never got around to learning whatever pretentious titles they refer to themselves as.

Dirty Mac
03-12-2011, 03:01
Yes lifetaker or take the Tome of Furion, or a dispel scroll.

grumbaki
03-12-2011, 03:38
Free Black Dragon! Give her the Pendant of Cheese and have her fly around flaming things. If the dragon gets shot out by a cannon ball...who cares? That's 1+ shots wasted and your sorceress still gets a 2+ ward save. And if the foe doesn't have big guns, then use the dragon to eat their support units. Just avoid things that could actually hurt it, and it'll do wonders.

decker_cky
03-12-2011, 04:58
Free black dragon! It's a black dragon, and it's free. No other option covers both of those bases.

slirgy
03-12-2011, 06:06
Free Black Dragon! Give her the Pendant of Cheese and have her fly around flaming things. If the dragon gets shot out by a cannon ball...who cares? That's 1+ shots wasted and your sorceress still gets a 2+ ward save. And if the foe doesn't have big guns, then use the dragon to eat their support units. Just avoid things that could actually hurt it, and it'll do wonders.

does the pendant of cheese exists or am i just being dumb here

grumbaki
03-12-2011, 06:19
Sorry, Pendant of Khaleth. Inverse wardsave, for 10pts less than a 4+ wardsave. With that item, you need to roll equal or less than the strength of the hit that wounded you.

So, say a dwarf with a great weapon, an human with a halberd, and an elf with a sword all attack the sorceress.

The elf hits first. He is str 3, so on the roll of a 1-3, the wound will be warded (so in essence a 4+ WS for 10 pts less than normal).

Then the human hits. He is str 4, so on the roll of a 1-4 the wound will be warded (so in essence a 3+ WS)

Finally the dwarf hits. He is str 5, so on the roll of a 1-5! the wound will be warded (so in essence a 2+ WS). :cries:

This makes the sorceress herself all but immune to high strength attacks, such as cannon balls. And best of all, it leaves 65 points worth of magic items for her to buy, so she can still get whatever arcane/enchanted items she wants.

Hence why I call it the Pendant of Cheese, and why I have seen it in every dark elf list that I have played against.

Don Zeko
03-12-2011, 07:08
Hence why I call it the Pendant of Cheese, and why I have seen it in every dark elf list that I have played against.

I don't take it in my tournament lists, actually. My sorceress stays in a small bunker unit, so if she gets hit by something it's either a)death or nurgle magic, meaning the pendant is ineffective or b)a combat unit that was gotten through the line and is now about to defeat and run down the unit. Sure, I'll feel real stupid the next time somebody gets her with a lucky cannon shot, but I think the powergaming thing to do here is to go without it, stupidly broken though it is.

mortiferum
03-12-2011, 07:40
Sorry - I probably should have stated in my opening post which magic items I have already used in the list (and therefore can't been taken again):

• Pendant of Khaleth
• Crown of Command
• Dragon Helm
• Ogre Blade
• Sacrificial Dagger
and for completeness (not that it matters in this case)
• Standard of Discipline

If my sorceress had access to the Pendant then I’d be less wary of mounting her on the Black Dragon – its being used by my Pegasus Master.

@ Felworth
if you upgrade character with the mount – then only that character gets to use it.

@ grumbaki, decker_cky – I know it’s a FREE Black Dragon! It’s a real dilemma for me on one hand it’ll just looks cool, but I seriously think it will make my sorceress much more susceptible to warmachines, pit of shades and even massed ranged shooting not to mention it makes her sac dagger useless until the Dragon dies. Is a FREE Black Dragon worth risking the General?

@tmarichards, Dirty Mac – yes, Lifetaker is one of the weapons I have been considering. However this uses up the magic weapon slot indefinitely. Thinking longer term into the campaign if I managed to upgrade her with defensive items such as Fencers Blade and a Talisman of Preservation would the Black Dragon Mount be a more competitive choice / enticing to you? Fly around avoiding difficult combats, make the best use of the Black Dragons Noxious Breath?

There are currently no players with a cannon in the campaign (no dwarf or empire players) plenty of bolt throwers though. Two very competent players using Shadow magic (Miasma, Pit of Shades is a risk to Dragon / Sorceress) a Terrorgeist – (Ld Scream is a risk to Black Dragon Sorceress)

a18no
03-12-2011, 14:56
You have a choice between a free 320pts things, and a free 50pts things. And you're asking which one is the most competitive???

You're serious??? Just give her the 4+ ward (if the pendent is already used), and don't care with anything else. After all, you'll probably find a good way to play the dragon and would want to use it in futur list. Yes lifetake and dagger is good, but we already know that. Just use that free dragon to have fun and play something else.

If the free mount was a manticore, I would even take that before a free 50pts magic item.

sulla
04-12-2011, 18:06
You have a choice between a free 320pts things, and a free 50pts things. And you're asking which one is the more competitive???

You're serious??? Just give here the 4+ ward (if the pendent is already used), and don't care with anything else. After all, you'll probably find a good way to play the dragon and would want to use it in futur list. Yes lifetake and dagger is good, but we already know that. Just use that free dragon to have fun and play something else.

If the free mount was a manticore, I would even take that before a free 50pts magic item.I think it's a very valid consideration.

Do you take the more expensive, mount choice, getting more pints for your choice but taking your expensive, fragile mage out of her meatshields and putting her where every mug with a stone can see her and try to take her out? She also loses out on the use of the sacrificial dagger, which she has already bought. She currently has no protection whatsoever.

Or do you take a cheaper magic item (passing up on the opportunity to get a dragon in your list), getting an item that could synergise better with the army.

In the neutral column (both positive and negative), she is also the army general, meaning she would benefit from an increased Ld bubble but be a far easier target, being hit by at least 1/3 of all ranged attacks directed her and her dragon.

I don't see enough reason to take the dragon, unless she could somehow also get a decent protective item. Also, shadow is not that reliant on close range, so the mobility of the dragon seems a little unneccessary to her.

I'd be tempted to take a decent ward save on her, or the healing potion or lifetaker if you think you will get value out of it (and with shadow magic, you should).

AlphariusOmegon20
06-12-2011, 17:12
Sorry, Pendant of Khaleth. Inverse wardsave, for 10pts less than a 4+ wardsave. With that item, you need to roll equal or less than the strength of the hit that wounded you.

So, say a dwarf with a great weapon, an human with a halberd, and an elf with a sword all attack the sorceress.

The elf hits first. He is str 3, so on the roll of a 1-3, the wound will be warded (so in essence a 4+ WS for 10 pts less than normal).

Then the human hits. He is str 4, so on the roll of a 1-4 the wound will be warded (so in essence a 3+ WS)

Finally the dwarf hits. He is str 5, so on the roll of a 1-5! the wound will be warded (so in essence a 2+ WS). :cries:

This makes the sorceress herself all but immune to high strength attacks, such as cannon balls. And best of all, it leaves 65 points worth of magic items for her to buy, so she can still get whatever arcane/enchanted items she wants.

Actually, when using the Pendant, you should be wary of low strength attacks of any kind, not high strength ones, and especially of Skaven Armies, because they tend to bring tons of low strength attacks. The Lore of Plague is something to be feared because of Pestilent Breath and Vermintide, along with such weapons like The Plagueclaw.

The Lore of the Wild spell Viletide is also your worst enemy, as is Dwellers Below. (Viletide is 5d6 S1 hits, whereas Dwellers is a S test and the pendant doesn't save against tests.)