PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with colourschemes

The bearded one
02-12-2011, 23:16
Anyone else ever have any trouble with finding a cool colourscheme for their new army? Long ago I could easily think of a cool new colourscheme, but in recent years I've been having more and more trouble creating an exciting cool colourscheme that looks striking on the table and I'd want to look at for a long time.. it took me months to find a colourscheme I liked for my Tau (but it payed of, I'm extatic with my current scheme) and lots of repainting and I'm starting necrons but the immortal I tried is just... meh.. myeh...... I'm just not happy with it.

So anybody else have this? And alternatively could you help me think of a cool scheme for my necrons :p ? I was considering purple and some green details.

Drakcore Bloodtear
02-12-2011, 23:22
I always find it hard to choose a colour scheme, there will be usually 2-3 that all look cool.

And have you tried the dirty bone colour for your Necrons, its a nice variation to the usual dark paint

ForgottenLore
02-12-2011, 23:48
I had a horrible time deciding on a color scheme for my Tau as well. The only one that I thought looked at all good was the basic T'Au studio scheme and I HATE using someone else's colors.

On the other hand, the Space Marines I am probably starting soon basically had their color scheme defined by the background fluff I am coming up with for them.

huitzilopochtli
03-12-2011, 00:06
Coming up with colour schemes is stressful when you want to make an army you've already invested a lot in (time building and money) to look striking and appealing on the board. The key I think is to look for inspiration. Look at other people's work (coolminiornot is great for this), look at sci-fi art, look at ancient egyptian artifacts (necrons are basically tomb kings in space, after all), whatever.

Before you commit to a scheme though, check what paints are available to you. It's more difficult to paint colours for with there are fewer variants. Such as purple, of which GW only produce two types, and which I picked as my main colour for my eldar. :cries:

Goat of Yuggoth
03-12-2011, 00:40
Anyone else ever have any trouble with finding a cool colourscheme for their new army? Long ago I could easily think of a cool new colourscheme, but in recent years I've been having more and more trouble creating an exciting cool colourscheme that looks striking on the table and I'd want to look at for a long time.. it took me months to find a colourscheme I liked for my Tau (but it payed of, I'm extatic with my current scheme) and lots of repainting and I'm starting necrons but the immortal I tried is just... meh.. myeh...... I'm just not happy with it.

So anybody else have this? And alternatively could you help me think of a cool scheme for my necrons :p ? I was considering purple and some green details.

Purple and green has always worked for me, it's just hard to decide in which hue and appliance to use them. On the general note of color schemes, it is very frustrating sometimes, and sometimes it's instant. I usually take inspiration from living things, such as beetles or other bugs, frogs, birds and oddly mushrooms. Try those categories out, sometimes they pay out some really unique and fun colors to play with that your human logical brain cannot think of.

Before you commit to a scheme though, check what paints are available to you. It's more difficult to paint colours for with there are fewer variants. Such as purple, of which GW only produce two types, and which I picked as my main colour for my eldar. :cries:

You do know there are other paint companies, right? I use Vallejo solely for purples, just because their selection and hues are more captive and less "watercolor for kids" purples like GW's ones. I do like the purple wash however, and occasionally Leviathan Purple isn't that bad for a mixed basecoat.

Cheers,
Goat

nurgle5
03-12-2011, 00:49
I agonize over colour schemes for weeks on end. One or two projects have been shelved for lack of a satisfactory colour scheme. Test miniatures are generally the secret to success. When (not if! :o) I change my mind, a quick soak in some dettol works wonders.

Then it starts all over again with the basing scheme!

The bearded one
03-12-2011, 01:36
The slightly annoying bit with Necrons is the scheme will have to fit with the green rods :) and I want to keep the rods :p

but I might have found a scheme I like after some googling, so I'll have to try a testmodel.

gutsmaka
03-12-2011, 02:20
nihilakh dynasty (blue,gold) is extremly striking on the table, and since the weapons main coulor is black, it works with green rods.

Scorpion0x17
03-12-2011, 02:27

You do know there are other paint companies, right?

And that you can mix paints to make new shades, right?

ForgottenLore
03-12-2011, 02:49
I should also mention my friend who has changed the color scheme on his 'nids a couple dozen times. (basically, every time he picks up the miniatures he decides the curren colors aren't working and starts painting them something else.

huitzilopochtli
03-12-2011, 11:14
You do know there are other paint companies, right? I use Vallejo solely for purples, just because their selection and hues are more captive and less "watercolor for kids" purples like GW's ones. I do like the purple wash however, and occasionally Leviathan Purple isn't that bad for a mixed basecoat.

Cheers,
Goat

Yeah, but I haven't made the transition yet. Depending on how Xmas goes for me I may be starting the move to vallejo before the year is out. :) Actually, I'm having trouble deciding what selection to get. Can you recommend which purples work well and compliment GW liche purple? I'm particularly stuck for highlighting choices.

And that you can mix paints to make new shades, right?

Yes, but when you're painting an entire army mixing paints adds significantly to the work load and thinking load, neither or which is desirable when painting large units of troops.

@OP
Hope your colours work out well. Feel free to post a picture of the result. ;)

Freakiq
03-12-2011, 12:03
Had so much trouble finding a scheme for my Necrons.

Any cool scheme I made wouldn't translate onto the vehicles so in the end I divided every necron unit into specific areas;
Body, Shoulders, Spine, Gun, Rod, Face, Blades.

I narrowed it down to four colours as any more would look cluttered.
Did a test model that I repainted several times to find a scheme that worked, after finishing each one I imagined how it would look transplanted onto another unit.
The picture included is the final scheme though since that's the test model I repainted 5+ times the paint is extremely lumpy, especially on the face.

I decided that all vehicles and weapons will be mainly grey using the other colours for detail work, this includes Destroyer bodies.

The decision to paint the spine bone not only breaks up the large parts of copper on the back but also allows me to paint the giant rib hood of the Triarch Praetorians in bone which I think will give them a voodoo feel.

Goat of Yuggoth
03-12-2011, 13:15
Yeah, but I haven't made the transition yet. Depending on how Xmas goes for me I may be starting the move to vallejo before the year is out. :) Actually, I'm having trouble deciding what selection to get. Can you recommend which purples work well and compliment GW liche purple? I'm particularly stuck for highlighting choices.

Well, from the Model Color Range I have the following purples:

VMC Purple
VMC Royal Purple (both are quite close to Liche, but with a slightly more distinct hue)
I'd also recommend on getting VMC Violet and VMC Blue Violet, they are quite nice.

And from Vallejo Game Color:

VG Hexed Lichen (great for shading)
VG Ghost Grey
VG Wolf Grey (both of those I use as gradient highlights with purples)

Haven't tried the Extra Opaques, but there's a purple there that I'd at least want to try out as a basecoat.

Oh yeah, and Coat 'd Arms sells Amethyst purple, which is a nice color to work with.

Yes, but when you're painting an entire army mixing paints adds significantly to the work load and thinking load, neither or which is desirable when painting large units of troops.

Nope. Just acquire some empty paint pot and mix a whole potful of some mixed color ready. I use this for Turquoise as I want a shade of my own for that, and my reds are usually also a mix of some five paints. They last for surprisingly long.
As light purples are hard to acquire, I strongly advice you buy two pots of your favorite purple, and two of some light shade of blue-grey and mix a couple of pots with different shades. Voila, two instant highlights that match your basecoat!

Cheers,
Goat

The bearded one
03-12-2011, 14:46
The skin of my entire skaven army is a mixed colour that I have to mix every time, but I haven't gone insane yet :D

* twitch *

AlphariusOmegon20
03-12-2011, 15:25

It's not just limited to 40K either. I've found that the hardest time of thinking of schemes is with WFB. I can always find a scheme in 40K that I like and use. That's not always the case with a Fantasy army, especially O&G.

The problem is what to do after the green skin ( That's a given on any orkiod creature). I just lose it every time I try to paint orcs. It gives me so much trouble I've even started telling people I won't do any commissions that involve orcs, either WFB or 40K.

Ace Rimmer
03-12-2011, 17:55
I'm planning on doing my Necron's metallic purple, using old 2nd ed monopose guardians for test models, which should surely please the silent king :P

≡I≡ Brother-Captain ≡I≡
04-12-2011, 07:56
Scorched metal with pink details would be pretty awesome for Necron.

susu.exp
04-12-2011, 13:25
Anyone else ever have any trouble with finding a cool colourscheme for their new army? [..]

I donīt have that problem, mainly because there are some simple rules for schemes that work (and of course you can break them sometimes, but knowing them helps nevertheless).
A subtractive color wheel is a must have here - i.e. the CMY version with cyan, magenta and yellow as the primaries.
A classification of schemes would look like this:

Monochromes - use only the color at one point in the color wheel. The contrasts introduced are only saturation and lightness.
Dichromes - use two colors. Any combination works, the further distant the colors are the more contrast you introduce. Triad contrasts (a 120° angle between the colors) tend to work rather well, because they arenīt close enough to seem boring nor are they far enough apart to seem shrill. The green/purple is a good example for this.
Trichromes use 3 colors. Here you should try to have an isoceles triangle between colors.
Tetrachromes use 4 colors and can be divided into two types:
Type I extends a Trichrome, be adding the compliment (the color 180° apart) of the color that is equidistant from the two others.
Type II uses a parallelogram.
Anything above 4 colors usually looks to crowded on a 28mm mini.

Neutrals:
Black, White and greys do not take up any place in the color wheel, the same goes for grey metals. These are neutral colors and can be added to any scheme. Usually you donīt want to keep them entirely neutral and a way to do this is to slightly tint highlights or shading colors. If you do so you can either use one of your normal colors, or use a color scheme with more colors and use one of them for neutrals only. For instance you could have a Dichrome Scheme and some whites in there. You could then expand the dichrome to a Trichrome and use the third color to shade the white. In the same way, you could use it to highlight black.

Then itīs a matter of color placement. The colors you picked have different degrees of color contrast between them (the angle between them is a good measure of this). As a rule of thumb, the higher the contrast between two adjacent colors is, the more the eye is drawn towards that boundary and more it is emphasized. This allows you to influence how somebody sees a model. In the same way keeping contrast low can disemphasize something else. Note that you can shade a color with another color to emphasize the plastic structure of something. I start my Ork skin with purple and mix in more and more green until itīs pure green for the final highlight. The effect is rather strong (I use the same purple on the red armour and clothes, which means less contrast for the armour itself, but quite a strong contrast between skin and clothes).

Brother Alexos
04-12-2011, 19:57
I think doing two colours that both clash and compliment each other would be cool. What I mean by that is, try and do something like a Matte purple, but have the Neon green striking and bright. Like, one colour will be glassy and almost faded, while the other will be opaque and new-looking.

Fawful
04-12-2011, 21:20
I mostly paint my armies around a general theme, that helps me a lot. For example for my eldar I set out to create the army in darker colours and decided on dark purple vehicles with lightning effects. Then again, I generally just start and solve problems I come across while I'm painting.