PDA

View Full Version : wood elf model deployement

slirgy
03-12-2011, 06:13
recently i started a wood elf army and i started with a box of 16 then i got the battalion which contained 24 glade guard 12 dryads and 8 wild riders i'm confused as all the pictures of the models on the boxes show them in ranks of 4 or 8 the box of 16 is okay because i converted one into a battle standard bearer but i don't know what to do about the others can i deploy them in ranks of 4 and 8 or is that not allowed if so would 8 be considered a horde thank you all in advance

Crymson
03-12-2011, 06:20
You can deploy them in as many ranks as you want, but will want to go at least 5 wide. I have seen people usually deploy in 5 models wide by 2 ranks deep (5x2), 6x2, 7x2 and even 5x3

slirgy
03-12-2011, 06:41
i was going to go 5 wide and 3 deep but i dont know what to do about the glade riders

slirgy
03-12-2011, 06:41
i meant models wide sorry
for the first one

eron12
03-12-2011, 07:01
recently i started a wood elf army and i started with a box of 16 then i got the battalion which contained 24 glade guard 12 dryads and 8 wild riders i'm confused as all the pictures of the models on the boxes show them in ranks of 4 or 8 the box of 16 is okay because i converted one into a battle standard bearer but i don't know what to do about the others can i deploy them in ranks of 4 and 8 or is that not allowed if so would 8 be considered a horde thank you all in advance

The Wood elf book and boxes are from a previous edition where you only needed 4 models for a rank (and horde did not exist). You can deploy a unit with as many files as you want, but it will only count for ranks if you have at least 5. You have to go with the rules, not the pictures.

Quinzy
03-12-2011, 12:42
As Glade Riders can reform as much as you like, their initial deployment means little. That being said, a rank of at least 5 might be an idea.

For archers, well that depends on what you're going to do with them. We have high leadership, so reforming also will be much less of an issue, but if I'll often take them 7*2.

slirgy
05-12-2011, 16:27
thank you all using units of 15 and 10 for my glade guard and 8 with my lord so nine for glade riders thanks again

belgarath97
06-12-2011, 16:17

You can't go by the boxes, they were printed in an edition of the game when 4 models wide gave a rank.

As others have suggested ranks of 5 is ideal, and remember galde riders are fast cav so they can deploy however you like and can reform during moving at no penalty, so their initial deployment is more about convenience. My regular woodelf opponent uses a unit of 8, 4x2. Allows the most shots for the smallest footprint. He reforms to 5 if he expects combat though.

Anardakil
07-12-2011, 06:27
Ranks of 5 aren't ideal at all when talking glade guard.
You should make sure as many as possible will be able to shoot.
Only two ranks can fire without a loss of the amount of shots, and since WE glade guards should always be moving and taking advantage of their bonus of not having a penalty for moving and shooting.

When building GG from the batallion box i would use two units of 12 deployed 6x2, or a unit of 14 deployed 7x2 and a unit of 10 deployed 5x2.

belgarath97
08-12-2011, 04:26
Ranks of 5 aren't ideal at all when talking glade guard.
You should make sure as many as possible will be able to shoot.
Only two ranks can fire without a loss of the amount of shots, and since WE glade guards should always be moving and taking advantage of their bonus of not having a penalty for moving and shooting.

When building GG from the batallion box i would use two units of 12 deployed 6x2, or a unit of 14 deployed 7x2 and a unit of 10 deployed 5x2.

You are right, I should have said 5 or more.