PDA

View Full Version : Do we like player armies in WD?

Cragum
03-12-2011, 18:01
So after purchasing this months white dwarf I have to say that its really nice to see some really nice home grown painted armies instead of constant GW company painted armies in the battle reports.

Obviously things such as new models being tested out are painted by the company because of their release, but the battle report with the ogres/orcs and the chaos/daemons was great to see someone elses more rougher painting style.

Similar to the skaven and the dwarves earlier in the issue.

Question is what does everyone else think? Should we be seeing more player armies featured in battle reports?

Muchos love

Cragum

Myrmidon616
03-12-2011, 18:08
Definatly.

It gets rather tiring after a while seeing the 'eavy metal paint scheme on every single page (not that I'm slating 'eavy metal). Players own armies are often a lot more interesting to look at, especially if they diverge a little from the mainstream look (such as many of the brilliant plogs on here). What annoys me a little is when they do an army painting workshop and paint it up in exactly the same colours as the studio army.

colonel kane trine
03-12-2011, 18:10
Id love to see more gamers armies!
I like seeing armies that belong to a hobbyist and arent just painted by people whos job it is to paint.

Jind_Singh
03-12-2011, 18:15
I like it - remember quite a few issues were they feature other players armies - tis more exciting than seeing Eavy Metal!

Eavy Metal is the quintessential super star model - Doesn't matter what I'll do in life I'll never date celebrity ladies! Same for my painting, I know, no matter how many hours a day paint, I'll NEVER be able to paint like Eavy Metal - especially the new White Dwarf pirate model with those jaw dropping White Dwarfs he painted on the model free hand!!!

Oh wow!

But to see other players armies?

Those are like cute girls - the ones I'd be able to date - with a bit of luck/effort! It's nice to see the one in a million amazing women on TV and all, but at the end of the day who do we get to settle down with?!

Seeing players armies is more inspiring to me than the Eavy Metal pics - those are just to drool over - and it enables me to reach to higher standards of painting/putting my own armies together than seeing the pros @ Eavy Metal.

Harwammer
03-12-2011, 18:18
I'd love to see more things like the bad dice battle report in White Dwarf. Does anyone else remember that?

Lorcryst
03-12-2011, 18:18
I still remember a time when every battle report in the White Dwarf was fought using the protagonist's armies, that you could then purchase for that month only using the voucher at the end of the White Dwarf ...

'Eavy Metal back then was just a couple of articles on "the GW way to paint armies", not the enormous, hulking, huge gallery of models it is now :p

To answer more clearly : yes, I do like seeing "custom", non-'Eavy Metal armies in White Dwarf, and I would love to see some more often, for the little details, minute convertions and the "away from the norm" look :)

colonel kane trine
03-12-2011, 18:23
I used to love the thing to buy the battle reports armies in the back of wd magazine!
Back in the days when gw used to give away free things and do deals!

I like to see gamers armies and read the fluff they create for the armys they own. Characterful conversions and themes are always good too

dijital_llama
03-12-2011, 19:14
Seeing gamers armies is one of the things i really enjoy about WD. they really should put more in. i don't mind if it's just photos and a few captions, doesn't have to be an essay from the player, just something to show they actually take note of the outside world.

Frederick
03-12-2011, 19:33
I'd love to see more things like the bad dice battle report in White Dwarf. Does anyone else remember that?

Do you mean the battle report from issue 290 the showcased an empire army defending the shoreline from an invading chaos fleet (all home created)? In this battle, the chaos sorcerer miscast every single magic phase... I am sure there are many more battle reports that had stuff like this though... I just wanted to bring back the memories :)

Urgat
03-12-2011, 20:06
So after purchasing this months white dwarf I have to say that its really nice to see some really nice home grown painted armies instead of constant GW company painted armies in the battle reports.

I loved the WD in the 90s, when there was those campaigns with 4 dudes using their own armies (the choice of arms, iirc) and they showcased armies every month. It's one of the many things that have disappeared that made it good.

Lord Damocles
03-12-2011, 20:08
That's a fairly conclusive looking poll result... :D

Cragum
03-12-2011, 20:16
See for me back when they were cracking out a tale of four gamers I was in love with WD. Seeing a section showcasing an army then having a battl with em. That's what we wanna see!

bolshie
03-12-2011, 20:32
Indeed, it's always nice to see what people are doing in the hobby.

ihavetoomuchminis
03-12-2011, 20:39
As long as they show some skills.....i find it great.

My eyes have bleed sometimes when looking at the "What's New Today?" in their website.

Korraz
03-12-2011, 21:48
I loved the WD in the 90s, when there was those campaigns with 4 dudes using their own armies (the choice of arms, iirc) and they showcased armies every month. It's one of the many things that have disappeared that made it good.

4 Generals I think its called in English.
I'll tell you why it disappeared:
For the budget (what was it? 20 pounds?) they set, it's impossible to get anything anymore. The last time they repeated this, they didn't even show the cash spent each month. (And it was just boring advertisement with new paint, but that's a different matter.)

Yes, I'd like very much to see more player armies, for two simple reasons:
-Being out of line with the company
-Conversions

Astraeos
04-12-2011, 12:40
You used to see player armies all the time in older White Dwarfs! And they used to give them a generous amount of pages.
Nowadays when we see an 'army masters' article you get a double page article with a glorious full army shot, but no or very few shots of individual models.
All too often I see an eye catching conversion or paint job only to have to make do with it being among the rest of the army with no picture of just that one piece!

I definitely wanna see more player armies in White Dwarf, and with a generous amount of exposure too!

yabbadabba
04-12-2011, 12:49
Its always nice to see any armies and models in WD or the Flickr pool. But there are problems with these things. Thankfully the advances in digital imaging should cut down on these problems.

Cragum
04-12-2011, 22:54
For me a great WD army moment was the Undead Elf army that was highly converted, Really looked delightful, started me in the world of converting to a higher scale.

popisdead
07-12-2011, 16:17
I want WD to be less of a catalogue and more of a hobby magazine.

Remember,.. not even the old days,. but when it had more than 5-min of reading?

march10k
07-12-2011, 16:55
I want WD to be less of a catalogue and more of a hobby magazine.

Quoted for truth! Who wants to pay an hour's wages (assuming you're paid the legal minimum, but it makes for a more dramatic statement, doesn't it?) on 30 pages of nothing more than glossy advertising? More player armies, batreps that aren't just advertisements for the army they released last week, scratchbuilt terrain articles (remember the glorious 3-4 page article on the main portal of a ruined DA fortress monastery? I do!), painting articles that actually teach techniques, not color schemes, conversion articles...you know, focus on the hobby, not the sale of product for the tabletop wargame. Oh, and bring back the limited run special conversion kits from time to time...a kit to convert rough riders to ride dirtbikes, frinstance...would sell better than beer, in spite of the unit's fundamental uselessness on the tabletop!

WD in its current form should be free...if it went back to being a hobby magazine instead of thinly veiled advertising, it would be worth the price.

yabbadabba
07-12-2011, 17:09
I thought we already had a "moan about WD content thread"? Can we stick to the topic please?

Cragum
07-12-2011, 17:19
I am wondering if contacting GW would make any effect towards perhaps seeing more of player armies in the later WD's.

I know a lot of them are played at Warhammer World, but I find that when I am there there are so many interesting player armies with great conversions and nice painted miniatures. It would be so easy to ask to photograph some of their games.

Daniel36
07-12-2011, 17:20
YES YES YES!!! White Dwarf has so much potential to be so much more than just a leaflet for the next release. More player-made material, be they rules, paint jobs or otherwise.

If there is one article in WD that I have read over and over and over and over again, it's the Necromunda Iron Lords campaign, featuring a LOT of non-Eavy Metal stuff and a really cool campaign with fun stories to boot.

That is what I like to see. Blood in the Badlands is the coolest thing I have bought for WH in a long time, and it's basically a hardcover fantasy version of that campaign I read over and over and over again. So... Moar of that stuff!!

yabbadabba
07-12-2011, 17:22
I am wondering if contacting GW would make any effect towards perhaps seeing more of player armies in the later WD's.

I know a lot of them are played at Warhammer World, but I find that when I am there there are so many interesting player armies with great conversions and nice painted miniatures. It would be so easy to ask to photograph some of their games. There are alot of problems with this, not least that GW don't have someone on call at the drop of a hat to set up the studio to take some quality photos of a gamer's army that is not painted in the @Eavy Metal way to exaggerate the light sources.

I think the best thing to do is to push their Flickr pool while emailing WD to highlight which armies you would like to see more of.

march10k
07-12-2011, 17:29
Can we stick to the topic please?

....which would be moaning that WD doesn't showcase more player armies?

Dark Aly
07-12-2011, 17:31
I would like more players armies as I find them really inspiring. One of my fondest remembered battle report was a 40k battle between two eldar armies (civil war IIRC) the armies were winners of various tournaments. The armies looked different from the others in the magazine and it inspired me to make my armies look different too.

(Unrelated: I also loved to gathering of might and subseqent campaign battle reports)

Cragum
07-12-2011, 17:34
....which would be moaning that WD doesn't showcase more player armies?

Not exactly moaning, more seeing what people would want to see player army wise. I mean I still want to see things such as the Manglers in eavy metal paint style but then again it would be great to see a article on peoples conversions of the unit.

yabbadabba
07-12-2011, 17:34
....which would be moaning that WD doesn't showcase more player armies? To be honest with you since 1994 they have never shown a huge number of them.

pscm
08-12-2011, 15:36
I remember an old white dwarf where they showcased a player's wood elf army and another's enormous dark angel collection (full chapter!!!) and I thought those were absolutely brilliant articles, very inspiring! I certainly wish they would do that a lot more. I think it would make some feel more of a connection with what they are seeing on the pages for starters not to mention that I think its a great way to inspire and reward the community =]

Late
08-12-2011, 17:01
Hell yes. Another thing of old that I'd like to see make a comeback is the scratch-built terrain that nowadays has disappeared because they feel the need to promote their terrain kits every chance they get.