PDA

View Full Version : Chosen deathstar

meanmachine
03-12-2011, 20:47
can someone tell me how this tzeentch chosen deathstar works and what upgrades you need to pull it off

i have heard you should take the wailing banner and favour of the gods on the tzeentch chosen.

some people I talk to about it say you cant use fotg to change +1 ld into fear because you already had it to begin with due to the banner but you could make use of the +1ld

so how does this 3++ save deathstar work

TheOneHawk
03-12-2011, 22:12
Those people who told you that are incorrect. Generally, it's Tzeentch chosen with halberds, FotG on the champion, and the wailing banner. You can change to something that will grant you a re-roll, check the FAQ.

Also, it's no fun at all to play with or against, just sayin.

Sexiest_hero
04-12-2011, 02:43
It works by being an unkillable block. Use it twice and people will either stop playing or spam instadeath spells. Or use a breaker unit (Like a solo doombull.

russellmoo
04-12-2011, 03:07
Yeah, the 3++ ward comes from the Fotg roll-

So, sometimes you will only have a 5++ ward for the first few turns but usually by turn 3 or sooner the 3++ has kicked in, and this is usually the time by which you make it into CC-

Sexiest_hero
04-12-2011, 03:52
It will be too much fr some people. My VC use metal all the time, and I use a doom bull with OTS to trash death stars. But for most players they are unwilling to change, and will stop playing/comp ban things. Chosen death stars dont worry me in the least, but to most other's it's as bad as it gets. Make sure you tell your friends you'll be playing a hard list in friendly games. If only to make sure everybody has fun.

grumbaki
04-12-2011, 04:45
What are the options for dwarfs when facing this? M3 means it is hard to flee from it, they don't really have chaff units, and they have no magic. About all I can think of is a slayer congo line (30x slayers, 30 ranks, unbreakable), or a Lordpedo (lord on shieldbearers with hammerers ranked up behind him to make him stubborn). Besides for that, is there anything not so gamey that works against this unit?

w3rm
04-12-2011, 05:16
Shoot the warshrines with cannons? Tie up with the 5 champion slayer unit conga line for 5 rounds of combat. take 2 and it kills 250ish points worth of slayers and you eat the rest of his army.

Sarael
04-12-2011, 07:51
My dwarf buddy goes for the star itsself from first turn. His theory is that enough lead balls of various sizes will eventually kill anything in the game, so every thrower, cannon, and handgun he has targets them from the start. If they don't get the ward save before the dwarfs' third round of shooting, there aren't enough left to be a threat.

I, as VC, opt for the "tie them up with several small raised units of zombies while my general and his knights wipe out the rest of the army" procedure.

I've seen Teclis use Vaul's Unmaking on the banner, then a dragonmage terror bombed them with his dragon...

I've seen a Tz Sorc Lord one shot them with Gateway... The turn after they got 3++...

Titillating Delusions ran them in circles a couple times.

Empire STank ties it up all game long usually.

I've seen it die dozens of times before it got 3++.

I've tied it up for 3 turns with a single spirit host base (from Wind of Undeath).

Remember that if you go Chosenstar, you are still at the whims of the dice gods of chaos, and while you're likely to get that 3++ by third turn, I've seen it go all game and not. Also, my biggest complaint isn't so much the 3++, but how anal people who play it are about using FOTG to get a reroll and basically stopping the game while rerolling a few dozen times...

meanmachine
04-12-2011, 09:02
also they are no different to marauders when it comes the dreaded thirteenth spell right

they will die just as easy to it since there are no save and no char test

Cambion Daystar
04-12-2011, 09:40
They are different.
Marauders are usually big enough so that they don't leave a skaven unit behind, unlike the warriors :)

calnen
04-12-2011, 09:45
Shoot the warshrines with cannons? Tie up with the 5 champion slayer unit conga line for 5 rounds of combat. take 2 and it kills 250ish points worth of slayers and you eat the rest of his army.

The only time i've played against a list like this, the warshrines were tough as hell to kill. They had a 3++ ward too, so the cannonballs kept bouncing off them. Unless the Warriors player was using the rules wrong?

Rolo Ramone
04-12-2011, 13:15
I never had played against it, but someone can give me an advice for fight agains it with Bretonnia? Maybe 2 trebuchet from the beginning of the game, but I do not know if that is enough.

grumbaki
04-12-2011, 17:04
Bretonnian Lord
* Crown of Command (stubborn)
* Gromril Great Helm (+1 AS, RR failed AS)
* Item that gives you a 3++ WS when you are on your last wound
* Barded horse, Shield

He probably won't kill any of them, but who cares? If your BSB is nearby, he won't run, and chances are they won't kill him (you get a 3+ AS, 3+ AS, 5+ WS), and for your last wound get a 3+, 3+, 3++.

This should run you around...225ish points or so, from the top of my head. Not bad for tarpiting them.

Lord Inquisitor
04-12-2011, 17:22
I never had played against it, but someone can give me an advice for fight agains it with Bretonnia? Maybe 2 trebuchet from the beginning of the game, but I do not know if that is enough.

Just avoid them at all costs. Avoid the entirely if you can, redirect them with your cheapest mounted yeomen, feed them large steadfast chaff peasants and concentrate your lances on everything else in the army. Don't ever be tempted to charge them.

I guess if you really want to take them on, look at a grail knight deathstar with 6-odd characters boosted with Lore of Life as much as possible. Tool up the characters for defense, OTS if you can, and gear up for grind with as much emphasis on using Life to boost your unit and keep your heroes alive.

Guindor
05-12-2011, 00:30
can some1 plz explain me what OTS is? i keep seeing it but i cant make the initials.... ty in advance!!

Lord Inquisitor
05-12-2011, 00:44
Other Trickster's Shard.

Metacarpi
06-12-2011, 14:57
What are the options for dwarfs when facing this? M3 means it is hard to flee from it, they don't really have chaff units, and they have no magic. About all I can think of is a slayer congo line (30x slayers, 30 ranks, unbreakable), or a Lordpedo (lord on shieldbearers with hammerers ranked up behind him to make him stubborn). Besides for that, is there anything not so gamey that works against this unit?

I know it's really childish, but I can't help but laugh at this.

Surely there's a better name! :p