PDA

View Full Version : Small forest gobbo army

Glenn87
04-12-2011, 01:08
I'm trying to make a very small Forest gobbo army made up from the plastic spider riders (putting the riders on 20mm bases).

As I'm not planning to buy LOOOAAADS of them to make big hordes for large battles, I was thinking to make it around 500 points.

But everytime I try to make the list, I come short a few points.
It's going to be either Snagla OR a Gobbo hero on Spider and lvl 2 Shaman (don't have the % for both Snagla and the lvl 2), 30 gobbo's and 10 Spider Riders.

Now here's my question: Wich units do you guys think the Forest Goblins could add to their army? I know Arachnarok is, but I only have 125pts rare allowance.
Would a Spear Chuka be possible Fluffwise, or totally not? I can't include any Orcs (they would take control else), no Night Gobbo's, no wolf riders or anything.
And What about Trolls? Would Trolls be lurking in Forests??

Morkmillian
04-12-2011, 03:11
you could get away with almost anything fluff wise.

i see no reason why forest gobs wouldnt strap some string between 2 trees and fire spears that way.

a rock lobba could even be a single tree bent back and a rock balanced on top before being let go.

forest trolls - in my mind theyd be mossy.

if you want orcs id say convert orc bodys with gobbo heads and just say they are extra tough/old gobbos.

im sure i saw sombody make or find frogs for squig hoppers and herds.

doom divers would use mass amounts of feathers for wings?

the possibilities are almost endless!
are you planing to use forest gobs as regular gobs or normal ones?
would be fun to put spiders on the nets and paint them up like spider webs :)
poisonus frog licking fanatics?

either way orcs and gobs all the way!!

Brother Alexos
04-12-2011, 03:38
Well, its really how you see a forest gobbo army working. I would say that you could probably work in some Savage Orcs with a Southlander theme. Really, its all about what you want in the army. You want an army thats from the forest? Cool, you're gobbo shaman has tricked the Savage Orcs into thinking you're Ded 'Ard through some magicy stuff, and this will lend you an awesome cc unit in such a small force.

Jind_Singh
04-12-2011, 07:18
If I played Forest Goblins (which I did about 10 years ago) I would use Forest Gobbos on foot,on spiders....

Now though,....nothing but SPIDER RIDERS and big Spiders - so aim for a 1200 pt list as at least you'll get a massive spider queen in! Otherwise it would just be:

Snagla
Other goblin characters

Spider Riders
Snotling units (inc pump wagons)
Trolls
Giants

Otherwise you're out of options!

Glenn87
04-12-2011, 10:25
If I played Forest Goblins (which I did about 10 years ago) I would use Forest Gobbos on foot,on spiders....

Now though,....nothing but SPIDER RIDERS and big Spiders - so aim for a 1200 pt list as at least you'll get a massive spider queen in! Otherwise it would just be:

Snagla
Other goblin characters

Spider Riders
Snotling units (inc pump wagons)
Trolls
Giants

Otherwise you're out of options!

Nah, I do intent to use normal gobbo's (as forest gobbo's).

This is just intended to be a very small fun list, that's why it's 500 points. I never use Spider Riders in my competitive O&G list, so I don't want to go out and buy loads of them just to make this themed army 1200 points (altough I would want an Arachnarok).
Problem is, that I take Snagla, 10 Riders and 30 Basic Gobbo's, and I'm short 70 points. This could be filled in by either 2 Spear Chuka's, 2 Trolls or one of each. I just don't know how Fluffy that would be??

bildo
04-12-2011, 10:31
anything can be fluffy if modelled right. its all been mentioned before. ive seen 2 spiders from the spider rider box used as a mangler before they were released and in an all forest goblin army.

Urgat
04-12-2011, 10:47
Nah, I do intent to use normal gobbo's (as forest gobbo's).

This is just intended to be a very small fun list, that's why it's 500 points. I never use Spider Riders in my competitive O&G list, so I don't want to go out and buy loads of them just to make this themed army 1200 points (altough I would want an Arachnarok).

Mmh. A forest goblin army is a weird choice for a 500 pts list, you're leaving aside what's iconic with forest goblins (arach, gigantic spiders), and are left with pretty much nothing but count as. So voila, the only advice one can give you, is to take whatever's cheap and try and make it fit fluff-wise.
But I really don't see the point, to be honest. Forest goblins are pretty much the one fluffy list goblin players would turn to to make an elite army with small numbers (arachnaroks, a few warbosses/big bosses on gigantic spiders, etc). Common goblins are the ones that will work best in small numbers because all their stuff is cheap.

jack da greenskin
04-12-2011, 13:34
Mangler squig done like a big spider?

Chariots pulled by spiders (the ones you didnt use to get the riders on their own)

Biff Gunhed
06-12-2011, 12:38
I've thought of doing something similar, except at 1200 points to get the Arachnarok Spider in. Seems pointless otherwise :p

Instead of buying a box of Common Goblins for your Forest Goblins on foot, I was going to buy lots of Arachnarok crew from bits sellers on eBay. They're great looking models, way better than the Common Gobbos. Might not be enough variety to look good en masse though.

musical
06-12-2011, 17:01
Well if you have to limit yourself to 500pts and its a theme army I am sure your opponent wouldn't mind if you count the Arachnarok Spider as something else (maybe the pump wagon since it doesn't have a base and is only 45pts).

Cortomaltese
07-12-2011, 02:21
actually i had the same idea about my spare forest goblins from the Arachnarok: i put them on a 20mm base, equipping them with the spears, making a sort of squig herder.
in fact i used also some of the small spiders of the sprue as squigs (bunkertube inspired me..): with a single Arachnarok sprue i managed to make a 7+3 unit: looks nice and is surely themed with your goal.

i simply love to find some use for those bits..

popisdead
07-12-2011, 17:13
Keep in mind you can just counts-as forest goblin models. Feel free to make a regiment of goblin infantry with spears/bows and count the webs as "nets" from the Night Goblin rules.

Just make it clear to your opponent before hand.