PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on selling 40K on eBay

Turrican1983
04-12-2011, 10:53
I have a 2,000pts Iron Warriors army.
It's all spray undercoated silver (see attachment).

Do you think I would I get more for it if I painted it using the Army Painter method, which is basecoat colours, dip, flock and varnish.

If so roughly how much more?

Just wondering if it's better to get rid of it while it's relatively unpainted (but for gold trims) or get it all finished and make a bit more money on the sale.

DJ3
04-12-2011, 11:06
A quick-paintjob probably wouldn't change the price enough to be worth the time it takes, especially as plenty of people would rather buy unpainted models in the first place. High-end paintjobs can make your sale price go up, but anything else is probably break even at best.

The most important rule for eBaying this stuff is that you'd be way better breaking up the lot if you have the patience for it.

There's always going to be more people that want to buy "1 Rhino" and "10 Tactical Marines" and "1 Land Raider" than "2000 points of Iron Warriors"

Spider-pope
04-12-2011, 11:18
Unless you give it a really good paintjob, you will probably get more for a model thats bare or just undercoated.

Avoid varnishing it if you do paint it, as an unvarnished miniature makes it more attractive to those who are planning on stripping anything they buy.

And as DJ the 3rd says, split it into multiple lots rather than one big army. By doing it in lots you open the auction up to far more people, rather than just those looking to buy an army in one go.

Charax
04-12-2011, 11:22
Finish painting them, at the moment you'll either struggle to sell them (DJ3's right, I'd much rather buy unpainted models than those) whereas if you take the time to finish them you might get some interest. Split the sale up into squads (or squad + rhino) and put the lord up separately.

Generally people don't make armies just to turn them over on Ebay, it'll be next to impossible to get RRP for that army, let alone any profit.

sigur
04-12-2011, 11:41
I have a 2,000pts Iron Warriors army.
It's all spray undercoated silver (see attachment).

Do you think I would I get more for it if I painted it using the Army Painter method, which is basecoat colours, dip, flock and varnish.

No, judging from my experiences I don't think so. And I'd wait with selling Chaos Space Marines for a few months if you can afford it. People probably will be pretty crazy about CSM in 2012.

sprugly
04-12-2011, 13:36
Agreed, wail till the new chaos dex hits next year if possible, if not at least wait till after Christmas. People might not have much spare cash now and I don't imagine much of a market for second hand items as gifts.

Always break armies into squads. It's worth the extra effort. You'll probably get 50 -100 quid more that way.

Sprugly

Sandlemad
04-12-2011, 16:26
And I'd wait with selling Chaos Space Marines for a few months if you can afford it. People probably will be pretty crazy about CSM in 2012.

Another side to this though; if the new codex somehow turns out to be abysmal, you'll not be the only one looking to offload your CSM. Probably won't outweigh the bandwagon-demand but could mean you'd get a little lost in the crowd.

sprugly
04-12-2011, 16:46
Like the current one then? Lol

stalkerzero
04-12-2011, 20:53
Your best bet to make the most money is probably and not take a long time doing so, is to strip the paint.

Break it up in to lots. I just sold 4,000 points of Grey Knights that retail would be about $830. I paid about $615 and made $465 back selling it as a lot.

Patience is the best way to get your money back.

colonel kane trine
05-12-2011, 00:32
Have you tried selling it on forums?

laudarkul
05-12-2011, 09:32
Even here on Warseer there is a dedicated thread for selling models. You can give it a try.

massey
05-12-2011, 18:24
I don't think you're going to get your money back. I certainly wouldn't pay anywhere near retail price for something off of ebay. I can buy it in a store and have it now, as opposed to buying it from a person I don't know and maybe getting it lost in shipping, or having someone just not give it to me, or it not matching the description, etc. Plus anything used I get has already had your grubby little hands on it.

The only thing your paint scheme will do is make it harder for an average player to use. Maybe I want generic chaos, and not Iron Warriors. Maybe my Iron Warriors have a specific paint scheme, or a specific basing scheme, and it's a little different from the one you use. You never know what your prospective high bidder is going to want. Even if you're a Golden Demon painter who makes everything beautiful, you're limiting your group of interested buyers. After all, why do I want 3 squads that are beautifully painted to add to my so-so looking Iron Warriors army? It just makes the rest of my army look bad.

Turrican1983
05-12-2011, 19:34
Have you tried selling it on forums?

I tried selling on forums years ago and it's a real ball ache.
Much easier and profitable to flog it on eBay.

Thanks your feedback everyone. I'm thinking of painting it all up over Christmas, then sitting on it til Chaos Legions comes out. I'm sure people will want to create a core force for a new army quickly. Also, if I provide the painting method and make it look easy, I'm sure people will be keen.

colonel kane trine
05-12-2011, 20:28
Convert it to deathguard and il buy it :p

scarletsquig
05-12-2011, 21:38
#1 Advice: Don't use Army Painter dip for a "basic" paint job.

You can't strip dip, and it obscures detail due to it's thickness, making it impossible to paint over or improve to a great degree. you might think the basic "basecoat n' dip" is good enough, odds are a lot of your potential buyers won't.

Paint to a very high standard or don't paint at all is the rule when it comes to ebay selling. you've already lowered the value by half simply by spraying, best to finish the job now you've started using washes, highlights, neat painting and excellent basing to create an army that you can sell for well above RRP.

Good call on waiting for the new codex to come out. I had some necrons that I couldn't sell for months. Bumped the thread when the new codex came out and immediately had 5 people wanting to buy within the space of a few hours. I've had excellent success with selling on forums purely by sticking to a "50% off RRP" rule of thumb for non-OOP products, and the lack of ebay fees and the chore of having to set up an auction is a bonus.

Another good habit I've gotten into is to not clip anything off the sprue until I am ready to assemble and paint it to a high standard. That way I can keep the "new in box" bonus if I lose interest and want to sell.

I currently have a well-painted black templars army that I'm holding on to until I can get a better camera and their new codex comes out early next year. A few of the units need finishing off so that will be done as well.

rocdocta
06-12-2011, 06:47
selling minis on ebay can be problematic due to some people like me would rather pay a little bit more to have a nicely painted model. but then some people like me like to have all my minis with a similar paint scheme.

its a hard toss up. i would just sell as is and not bother trying to paint them up

Angelwing
06-12-2011, 08:14
Plus anything used I get has already had your grubby little hands on it.

Although the op wanted to the point advice, I think this bit is too much to the point. Unless you missed out a :p face?

Wankel13b
06-12-2011, 12:39
as most said. Either unpaited and cheap, or VERY well painted. And tbh the well painted market is kinda reducing due to our crisis etc...

Turrican1983
07-12-2011, 07:49
as most said. Either unpaited and cheap, or VERY well painted. And tbh the well painted market is kinda reducing due to our crisis etc...

I'll be going with Well Painted then.
I've sold nicely painted armies of this size for 800 about a year ago (and there was financial crisis then).

Thanks for all your input guys. Although Scarlet Squig is bang on the money with regards to Army Painter. I'd feel cheated if I ended up buying an army that was difficult to paint because of their 'waxy' base coat.