PDA

View Full Version : Help with carrying cases for 40k Armies

Grunge
04-12-2011, 13:20
I need help from anyone who has had any kind of experience with carrying cases.

I'm aware of KR Multicases and the Battlefoam packs, and I've been wondering which are your opinions and advice on what I should be getting to trasport my armies.

People around here usually have the old GW case, which is fine for Infantry and some bikes, etc. but then I always end up needing another 3 or 4 small boxes to carry Dreadknights or any other unusually-sized stuff.

Another problem I face is whenever I take one of my armies from the display to go play some games, I have to pack them all differently and it's really annoying having to have dozens of different sized Tupperware boxes :P

What I'm considering is buying something like these bags:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/40k%20carrying%20case/mrpockets/100_2799.jpg

Big enough to be able to transport any 2k-ish points army including transports and whatever and to be able to carry some odd models like Fantasy monsters and whatnot.

I currently have the following armies needing transport: Space marine all bike army with 2 Preds and 30ish bikes; GK army with 9 Razorbacks and respective Infantry and possibly a Fantasy High Elf or TK army in the near future.

Can any of you guys give me some advice and point me to some nice manufacturers of these kind of bags and mostly on foam tray personalization to fit any of my armies without having to have tons of different trays/cases? I really need one bag thats able to carry them all (one army at a time!)

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give. I am at a total loss in these matters as the "needing to travel to play tournaments and games" is a brand new thing for me!

Kozbot
04-12-2011, 18:18
I really can't say enough for battlefoam. I've had the GW cases and tried one with pluck foam but always had issues with breaking, and like you had to end up carrying multiple boxes to cart around all my transports, tanks, and so on. Battlefoam isn't cheap but for the time it's saved me in model repairs, and the convenience of having one bag that can carry anything I'd need for a 2k game it's the best bag that I or any of my gaming buddies have. Seriously, battlefoam is that awesome.

You'll really be surprised about the neat things that come from having specific trays for everything, when I'd have my transports loaded in a shoebox with some foam I'd always end up forgetting a rhino or razorback or something. When everything has its own spot in a tray it's a lot easier to make sure you remember everything you might need.

As a further point, though this doesn't sound like an issue for you, but with my collection I long ago ran out of space to have it all in cabinets and on shelves, having the custom trays so I can store a good chunk of my army just in the bag and know it won't be broken is awesome. With the GW trays I'd often have models that would come out broken after being stored in a corner for a few months, not the case now.

The only thing I'd recommend is if you can, try and find a friend or just a guy at the local gaming story who has one. With some of my dynamically posed models they don't fit in the 'standard' holes they cut in the trays for regular guys so that can be an issue. Also my spear saurus for fantasy don't fit in anything really, but with all the different ways you can direct the spears and the relative length that's just how it is so I'd either order for just one army, and I can attest they work damn awesome for space marines, but I'd be a little more hesitant to plop down the money for a trays for an army that's more oddly shaped.

Tayrod
04-12-2011, 18:19
I have this, and it's great:
http://www.giftsforgeeks.org.uk/p/product/1633779141-Build%2520Your%2520Own%2520Tyrant%2520Army%2520Fig ure%2520Case/

Sildani
05-12-2011, 00:47
I've used Sabol Army Transports for about eight years. Can't reccommend them highly enough. They've held and protected some 2000 points of Eldar for all this time, no breakage; and the bags themselves and the foam trays have held up very well too.

sprugly
05-12-2011, 12:55
I use a large tool box bought from b&q, I bought some trays from kr multicase and cut them in quarters and they fit in just right leaving room for larger stuff in the other half that I have lined with some foam. Works well easily fits in 2000 points and cost me all of about a tenner.

fluffymcfluff
05-12-2011, 13:21
Wal-mart carries some great cases, they are made by a company called plano. They come with two foam inserts and the bottom layer is pluck foam. I can't speak highly enough of these cases, and the best part is they are only about $10-12. very cheap for a really good case. the bottom layer can actually hold 7 or 8 leman russes depending on how you pack them

Panther Al
05-12-2011, 14:48
I've used Sabol Army Transports for about eight years. Can't reccommend them highly enough. They've held and protected some 2000 points of Eldar for all this time, no breakage; and the bags themselves and the foam trays have held up very well too.

I can second this:

I've used these cases to transport everything from 15mm FOW, 40K, and even plastic models to contests and have had nothing but great experiences with them.

The only thing that would make them better would be some custom cut foam trays for those odd shaped models.

Sildani
05-12-2011, 15:05
Battlefoam can do that. They have trays available in "Sabol size".

stroller
05-12-2011, 15:15
I have diy boxes, gw large & small, sabol and charon. They all work pretty well. I used to get breakages in the cheap diy cases before I started spending money on foam. For the awkward shapes I now either have pluck foam, or a box filled with "chips": card box just big enough, with loose foam chippings.

Also - if you can run to it - a box per army makes things easier unless you have a lot of display space.

Corvus Corone
05-12-2011, 15:48
I can't let this thread pass without mentioning Feldherr.

Well priced, professional hardware that ships fast. Overall, a very reccommendable company that's highly regarded by me and my friends.

http://www.feldherr.net/

Grunge
07-12-2011, 11:17
Thanks everyone for the help. I was looking into Battlefoam but they aren't shipping for Europe now i think (yeah I forgot to mention I'm in Europe :P )

I'm considering now to buy one of the new Kaiser bags from KR Multicases, the one that stores 2 of their card boxes sounds big enough for any of my armies. One box for infantry and one for tanks might do the trick. Gotta fetch some more opinions on KR Multicases as no one mentioned them yet :O

Rick Blaine
07-12-2011, 11:41
Thanks everyone for the help. I was looking into Battlefoam but they aren't shipping for Europe now i think (yeah I forgot to mention I'm in Europe :P )

I'm considering now to buy one of the new Kaiser bags from KR Multicases, the one that stores 2 of their card boxes sounds big enough for any of my armies. One box for infantry and one for tanks might do the trick. Gotta fetch some more opinions on KR Multicases as no one mentioned them yet :O

Battlefoam has a UK fascility, they ship to Europe just fine (and without any import duties ;) ). You can also get them through Wayland Games. Sadly you just missed their 25% off offer.

The bearded one
07-12-2011, 11:53
I'm gonna be saving for this little bugger. It's battlefoams "budget" version. It's still pretty darn sizey though.

http://uk.battlefoam.com/bf-shield-bag-pluck-foam-load-out/

Grunge
07-12-2011, 15:19
I completely forgot about checking Battlefoam out as one of my mates kept telling me their didn't ship to Europe.... :\

How do their prices fare vs. KR Multicases?

I'm looking into their new bags. Kaiser 2 holds 2 of their card boxes with the following layout:

2 Chimeras
4 Rhinos
100 Troops
+
2 Dreadknights
1 LR
2 Dreads
10 Terminators

This shells out at 99€.

The only thing close (90€) I found in Battlefoam is this
http://uk.battlefoam.com/432-p-a-c-k-432-pluck-foam-load-out/
which by my understanding stores far less

Also found out these dudes http://www.feldherr.net but I can't picture how much each bag carries it seems I need either a really big case or 2 smaller ones which kinda defeats my goal :( they look good and prices are cheap though based in this model http://www.feldherr.net/uk/maxi/maxi-bags/feldherr-maxi-many-tanks-and-36-infantry-full-size-figure-case.html

AlphariusOmegon20
07-12-2011, 16:23
Why not just use the GW Monster Case (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440149a&prodId=prod900176a)?

Grunge
07-12-2011, 17:38
It's not really suited to carry infantry + tanks, it looks more like it aims to transport baneblades and such.

Can't seem to find how many Rhino hulls I can fit in the one The Beaderd One linked

http://uk.battlefoam.com/bf-shield-bag-pluck-foam-load-out/

dangermouse425
07-12-2011, 20:44
KR Multicase is the way forward. I've bought four. They're absolutely brilliant bits of kit.

Grunge
07-12-2011, 21:14
Guess I'll go for 3 cardboard KR Multicases. I usually can fit everything in 2 but I guess I need a third for the extra Rhino hulls I gotta carry (playing with GKs = 9 Rhino hulls :P )

dangermouse425
07-12-2011, 21:21
It's definitely the best value choice, and they're pretty discrete, unlike the GW ones!