PDA

View Full Version : Kroot eats zoat. Film at eleven.

Serpine
19-04-2006, 09:31
Preliminary experiment for an alternate tracker kindred: I'd see it as the result of a shaper wanting a less mount reliant tracker, but afraid of direct consumption of quadrapeds do to the dead end species. So the hunt is on for tauric creatures like zoats...

CaputMortuum
19-04-2006, 09:45
Very cool and believable posing. I like it a lot!
Will you be making more of these?

caput

Eduard
19-04-2006, 10:10
Looks very good, Like a centaur actually. Nice job!

Loaf32
19-04-2006, 10:18
I really like it. Flows together really well!

-Loaf

KayvaanShrike
19-04-2006, 10:46
Great job! Would be cool to have a whole squad of Kroot like that, like ones from a diff kroot planet, if there is such a thing as more than one, I am not up to speed on my Tau fluff!!

baneful
19-04-2006, 12:37
well done mate, nice idea and you pulled it off quite well.

firestorm40k
19-04-2006, 12:43
Erm, different! I like it though. :)

Commanderxenos
19-04-2006, 13:13
what are those bodies, as the look like they make perfect kroot centaur like conversions.

axiom
19-04-2006, 15:38
IHe's a really nice clean conversion - does the job with no fuss. Am I right in saying it's a kroothound body?

The only down side is that anatomically it's not too close to a zoat lower body...but then, who cares, it looks cool ;)

Hawkmoon
19-04-2006, 15:55
If I'm not mistaken those are kroot hound bodies.
Great Idea BTW.

maraxis
19-04-2006, 16:02
I like them, I may have to borrow this idea!!!

Inquisitor Konig
19-04-2006, 20:08
looks great, but why would you take a calvery unit with sniper rifles? that unit choice always puzzled me especialy because you can always take hunter kindred with the same gun...

Serpine
19-04-2006, 20:43
Will you be making more of these?
At least one is almost certain (I have an idea for a pose I really want to try). Beyond that is fairly likely, at least enough to make a minimal size unit, as I'm very happy with how this one came out.

like ones from a diff kroot planet, if there is such a thing as more than one, I am not up to speed on my Tau fluff!!
As far as my understanding of the fluff, kroot center around their home world Pech (though I'd imagine there are other small colonies). Individual master shapers lead their chosen kindreds away on long mercenary expeditions (which they don't tell the Tau about) during which they eat interesting prey, passing the traits to their offspring and eventually producing outlandish specimens like this one. Eventually the kindred returns to Pech and those with worthy traits are bred by the shapers into the general population to advance the species.

If I'm not mistaken those are kroot hound bodies.
You are not mistaken: The lower body is a kroot hound with the head and large spines sawed off, the scope is an antennae from Battlefleet Gothic, and the rest is from the kroot sprue.

I like them, I may have to borrow this idea!!!
Cool. I'd love to see how they turn out.

why would you take a calvery unit with sniper rifles?
Mainly I'd imagine its to justify the advance positioning capability of the "Native Scouts" rule, and having the option to charge the enemy at longer range when they break towards you. On the off hand chance that they ever revise the list, I'm hoping they trackers will get to choose either hunting/normal kroot rifles for each model.

-Serpine-

fracas
20-04-2006, 03:00
absolutely brilliant in concept and delivery!

Inquisitor Konig
20-04-2006, 04:52
hmmm, tell me again why you would charge a small unit of T 3 models into combat that dont even have combat weapons? if they change the rules to allow them to do more than just shoot with heavy weapons great, otherwise ill just use hunter kindred.
that model you made is still sweet by the way and i really hope they change the rules so i can justify making a unit of them too...

Quin 242
20-04-2006, 05:41
Bloody bril idea for trackers!!!

Well thought out and executed..
now what am I gonna do with these darn cold ones and kroot ox heads? dammit!!

Maestro
20-04-2006, 08:32
This does indeed look very cool! Do the kroot and hound body match up a bit? or is there a lot of sawing/hacking/twidling involved??

John T

Serpine
21-04-2006, 07:45
Do the kroot and hound body match up a bit? or is there a lot of sawing/hacking/twidling involved??

Nothing particularly difficult actually:

Basically I started by sawing off the spine crest along the back using deep cuts on the two sides, then cutting from the rear. Keeping things just above the head-height of the hound minimized damage to the rear tiny spines and the bag/harness sort of stuff on the hound torso. Then I hacked off the head using the dog collar hounds have as a guide. Once again this consisted of cutting the sides first, and then cutting from the bottom along the collar. This takes some patience (I snapped a saw blade going through neck #3 to fast). Then a decent cutting tool to snip off the slot tab (since these go on the non-slotted bases) and they are ready for flash cleaning and a kroot torso to be stuck near the front of the flat section left behind by the spine removal.

Note1: This might have been somewhat easier/quicker to do with some good pliers and a bit of filing, but I wanted to minimize damage to the spines and heads for use in later conversions. The saw gave me much better precision.

Note2: Three of the four styles of hound bodies are perfect for this process, but the fourth style has a paw running along and partially attached to the chin. Keep an eye out for these when grabbing blisters, since these "renegade" hounds would be annoying to modify. Though you could always get them anyway for use as actual hounds. *gasp*

I've decided to make seven more of these kroot (they had four blisters at the local store and one had a hound with the chin paw) so if people are interested I'll post a few more shots as I go through the process.

-Serpine-

Christine
21-04-2006, 08:56
Please feel free to post more photos, this is a fascinating well executed conversion. Well done!

Quin 242
21-04-2006, 13:30
The more photos and WIP's the better :)

Reabe
21-04-2006, 17:36
I'd just like to say that I'm another member who thinks that this is totally awesome!

Serpine
22-04-2006, 08:30
So tonight I cleaned up the flash a bit on the torsos, heads, bodies, and legs (all kroot hounds start 3 legged). Then I drilled a hole with my pin vice at where the crest and head cuts met on the hound body, and a matching hole in the bottom of the torso. A bit of glue and paper clip fragments and we have the basic structure already set at stage two. When I next sit down at the desk (likely tomorrow) green stuff will flow as I attempt to create the belly join between the components.

Serpine
22-04-2006, 11:42
I couldn't fall asleep, so it was back to tinkering with the unit. Filled the leg gaps, and built the stomach plates to link the two main components of the beasties. I totally overestimated the amount of green stuff I would need (a little goes a long away). :)

Quin 242
22-04-2006, 13:36
Yeah I usually end up with a batch of extra GS myself. I keep a few partially finished projects at hand for just such an occasion :)

Serpine
23-04-2006, 17:27
Wasn't able to sleep again, so I spent some quality time glueing my fingers together and dropping tiny pieces of plastic into shag carpeting. Some pictures of the results. Can't be seen clearly from the photos but the little vents on the sides of the barrels are drilled out as well as the gun barrels (seemed like a good idea at the time). Anyway, anybody wants a closer photo or commentary regarding any particular of the troops, just say so. I'm going to try and get some sleep now.

-Serpine-

asmodai_dark86
27-04-2006, 23:43
They remind me a lot of oddworld:strangers wrath

Must not be tempted by these.... must not make these... can't afford it... student loan not limitless...

This is why I hate warseer. I see funky stuff like this and know that ebay is only a click away :(

Inquisitor Konig
28-04-2006, 07:21
sweet, absolutely worthless squad. but those are really really cool. makes me so mad that they suck in the game so hard because those are so sweet!!!

Serpine
29-04-2006, 11:54
A few shots today.

1) Member #9 and the shaper for the tracker unit are still waiting to be done (need more kroot hounds to chop up). After asking for input and running the numbers, an eviscerator seems to be what the shaper will end up with. The only one I had was on a redemptionist zealot, but that thing is just plain puny. So I decided to create something... slightly... larger. Here is the blade so far, with the zealot to compare with.

2-3) Very preliminary test concept for a Headhunter: Since they've fed on the nastiest, most poisonous creatures, I want something very feral looking for this unit type. This experiment involves a kroot hound head, old genestealer plastic body, and normal kroot limbs. My wife has suggested some sort of head frill (ala the Jurassic Park poison spitters), and filing down the back to apply kroot hound spines. I know if I go with this concept I'd bend the legs a bit so it looked less forward heavy. I do like the extreme hunch since it reminds me of a knarloc in a way... Any alternate ideas/suggestions welcome.

5) Shot of base-coated member of the tracker squad from earlier.

-Serpine-

p.s.

Must not be tempted by these.... must not make these... can't afford it... student loan not limitless...(

Kroot hound to chop up for parts: $5.
One sixteenth of a Carnivore Squad: $2.19.
Having a really cool model for a unit many feel is useless: Priceless.

Orcdom
29-04-2006, 16:39
nice on the centaur conversions, but i dont really like the steelar conversion.

Steve

Quin 242
23-04-2007, 22:09
Goodness.. had lost this post.. total bonus you brought it up..

The Poison kroot is just Brill!
And you already have the heads from the Centaur conversions so it's a great way to use the parts :)

Ifd you havn't already finished all you were going to do with these... A GREAT Eviscerator is the Ork Chain Choppa.
It's heavy and brutal looking.

lvyoda
23-04-2007, 23:30
I love those kroot/hound conversions. They look great. I might have to try my hand at some of those. Thanks for the idea.

Rick

bluebugs
25-04-2007, 19:44
Looking good man, always love a kroot conversion. some of my favorite models. the centaurian idea is great, and if you use these and they suck, who cares? they will be a focus point of the army.

Serpine
25-04-2007, 23:15
Ifd you havn't already finished all you were going to do with these...

Update: What basically happened with the project is shortly after that series of posts I ended up having to move with relatively little warning and hired a "professional" firm. The results were devastating: Everything I owned ended up spread through poorly marked boxes at two different storage sites and a great pile in my living room. They ended up bubble wrapping garbage paper plates, but tossed a segment of my CD collection in a box they marked "kitchen" that was otherwise filled with pens, nails, and loose tools. They put a box I packed myself and labeled "LP Records: Fragile" underneath a stack of extremely heavy boxes filled with books. A shelf and a table they put a lot of things on collapsed under the weight, and several other stacks toppled over right after they left. You can extrapolate the state of most of my miniature collection from that.

To make things worse, this coincided with some work and family situations that made it simplest for me to just pretend my things didn’t exist anymore and focus on the parts of my life not in shambles. In the last couple of months though I finally got some time and the will to invest in cleanup (or rather, throwing away the wreckage) and made three discoveries: 1 – Most of my primary army (tyranids) had been stored in a very large but beat up looking tackle box, which I found carefully nestled behind a collapsed stack in the rear of one of the storages (obviously since it looked worthless, the movers made sure to keep it safe). 2 – To show off the centaur-kroot at a store, I had wrapped them and put them in a tupperware container, which I found ended up safely in a box marked “living room” along with 2 pillows and a couple of paperback books. 3 – Now that I’m looking at it again, I really missed all this stuff.

So, once I clean up some more of the ruins (somewhere in there are my collections of bits, and its not like they can be damaged much), my kroot project is back on. More to follow…

Serpine
26-04-2007, 00:24
Now that I’ve gotten the maudlin comments about the past out of the way, on to the future:

Headhunters

The Poison kroot is just Brill!
Actually I wasn't really happy with the results, even after I did some work on the legs. I then tried making a torso entirely out of green stuff, which I was much more pleased with, but was still lacking because I’m not much of a sculptor. So my next experiment (which I bought some test components for but never got to because of the move) was going to be trying the kroot hound heads on lizard man bodies (which is it turns out is an approach similar to that in the Kodex Kroot linked in that other post, other then the head used). I’ll probably still try that method, once I get things going again, and if I don’t like it I’ll probably just do them exactly like Kodex Kroot because I did like that look.

Eviscerators

A GREAT Eviscerator is the Ork Chain Choppa.
I hadn’t thought of that one. I’ll probably try that for some other shapers. At least one will get the eviscerator blade I already worked up (assuming I can find it, haven’t so far).

Krootox
I liked the suggestion someone had made regarding my kroot ogre (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32171) guy (originally intended as a shaper) being a krootox replacement. Since part of the principle of the centaur-kroot was eliminating mounts, I’m going to be trying another ogre build along those lines, trying to address some of the problems the original experienced. I might repair the damage the move did to the original guy or might just toss him.

Great Knarloc Bolt Thrower
I ordered one a year ago along with some other FW things, and just found it in a box along with an enclosed basilisk gotten at the same time. The Knarloc survived the move largely unscathed, unlike the artillery piece. I guess that just shows the benefits of good diet/breeding.

Other Experiments: A Vulture and a Feral Tau
I found the components for the other experiments I was about to try before the move: First was going to be a winged kroot with the standards arms instead of legs and wings replacing the arms (the harpy wing on back thing bugs me). And a bare-chested Tau fire-warrior from a less civilized sept that had been assigned travel with the kroot as a teacher but ended up “going native” and arming himself with a kroot rifle. In play he would just be treated a kroot… Both probably will come off aweful but I have to give them a shot.

wibble
26-04-2007, 00:37
Groovy conversions - very imaginative. i would ask permission for a slight theft of ideas, if tau were able to take the more diverse varieties of Kroot (harrumph) oh well. kudos on the sweet models though.

Serpine
26-04-2007, 01:11
if tau were able to take the more diverse varieties of Kroot (harrumph) oh well.

One thought I had regarding the mounted unit for a Tau force was to count them as sniper drones. They are fast and supposed to be stealthy, are armed with a sniper rifle, and definitely can't be mistaken for normal kroot so they don't cause confusion. :)

The Orange
26-04-2007, 07:49
Absolutley brilliant conversion, I never knew kroot hounds were big enough to even do that, :eek: .

Strelok
26-04-2007, 08:14
Definitely an excellent idea. Hmmm, since kroot are used as mercenaries, these would be an interesting unit to use as counts-as rough riders for an imperial guard army. Fluff-wise you could easily make them fit, especially if you're playing an imperial guard army where rough riders don't exactly fit in the fluff for those particular troops.

squiggoth
26-04-2007, 09:14
Update: What basically happened with the project is shortly after that series of posts I ended up having to move with relatively little warning and hired a "professional" firm. The results were devastating: Everything I owned ended up spread through poorly marked boxes at two different storage sites and a great pile in my living room. They ended up bubble wrapping garbage paper plates, but tossed a segment of my CD collection in a box they marked "kitchen" that was otherwise filled with pens, nails, and loose tools. They put a box I packed myself and labeled "LP Records: Fragile" underneath a stack of extremely heavy boxes filled with books. A shelf and a table they put a lot of things on collapsed under the weight, and several other stacks toppled over right after they left. You can extrapolate the state of most of my miniature collection from that.

Reading this I feel so much better about the Universal Parcel smashing Service.

Nice job on the Kroot cavalry and Kroger ...... now I'm starting to wonder what the result would be if a Kroot ate a Tau. :D

Greblord
26-04-2007, 09:58
Lovely conversion, but I don't think he ate a zoat - their bodies are more like a rhinoceros than anything else. Keep up the good work though!

Boss_Salvage
26-04-2007, 16:27
Brilliant conversion on the krootaur, really really great stuff. I like all of your ideas for more weird and wonderful kroot, and it makes me want to take another look into my favorite little xenos savages ...

Also sorry to hear about your stuff being trashed, and while it was funny to read about all of the insane screw-ups and wanton destruction, I would have been equal parts crushed and completely livid if it happened to me. Best of luck with the kroot and sorting through the rubble.

- Salvage

Serpine
01-05-2007, 09:16
Its been a while, but finally a new experiment in my project: The feral tau warrior. The hands came off a bit bigger then I'm happy with (though they don't look nearly as bad in person), but generally fit with thel bulk of the upper body. The guy somewhat reminds me of a dwarf or gorilla in build with the small legs large torso/arms.

Game wise, this is intended to count as a standard kroot, hence the rifle and lack of torso armor. In a kroot merc army, it would be another potential model type to break up the uniformity of the troops. In a Tau army, it could serve as a kroot replacement so a pure Tau force could be fielded.

Story wise, some fire warriors from more violent and primitive fringe septs are assigned to work with and train kroot forces. This allows such Tau to serve the greater good in spite of their uncivilized nature, and is less a blow then the loss of a better trained fire warrior when the unpredictable situations kroot end up in result in an early demise. For their part, these "feral" Tau enjoy their chance to aid traditional Tau society while still following their more embrasing their violent natures. They quickly adopt the weapons, combat style, and even some cultural leanings of their charges.

Thoughts?

Serpine
03-05-2007, 09:43
First off I have an experiment I've been meaning to try for over a year: A variation of vulture kindred kroot built more like a bird and less like a kroot with wings stuck on its back. :) This is deeply in the test model stage, as can be easily spotted by the improvised flying stand (built with a normal base and a toothpick). There are nasty gaps where the various parts meet the body needing green stuff and probably some slight repositioning, the gun needs filing and drilling, etc. But its together enough to see if the thought I had more or less works and to gather opinions/suggestions from the forums.

Also I've revised the first feral tau (his "muppet hands" as my wife called them were driving me crazy) and created a second one.

AventineCrusader
03-05-2007, 10:40
I have to say, I really love the Vulture conversion, it seems pretty much perfect. I really can't see a way to improve it and cannot wait to see it done. Good work!

Quin 242
03-05-2007, 14:01
I'd say that the vulture one would be better with his wings built into his arms.
I'm working on how to do this decently...

If you ever saw Dragon Slayer then those are the kind of wings I'm thinking. With the hands as part of the wing?