PDA

View Full Version : 2500pts Nuln Competitive

scubasteve04
05-12-2011, 17:45
Lords
Arch Lector , War Altar, Shield, Dawn Armor, Mace of Helstrum, Potion of Speed- 328pts

Heroes
Captain, BSB, AoMI, Dawnstone- 125pts
Warrior Priest, Heavy Armor, Shield- 96pts
Warrior Priest, Heavy Armor, Shield- 96pts

Core
49 Halberds, Full Command- 265pts

49 Halberds, Full Command- 265pts

30 Flagellants, Prophet of Doom- 310pts

Special
19 Greatswords, Musician- 196pts (BSB Bodyguard)

10 Knights of the Blazing Sun (Inner Circle), Flaming Banner, Musician- 294pts

Great Cannon- 100pts
Great Cannon- 100pts
Great Cannon- 100pts
Mortar- 75pts
Mortar- 75pts
Mortar- 75pts

2500pts

Thoughts?

Morax
06-12-2011, 14:21
Greatsword body guard is a bad idea. They are the best infantry the army has and should be directed at you opponents stock infantry for a better then average matchup. For a bunker role they are more expensive and less defensive then swordsmen (5+/6++ save winds up better then 4+ almost every time). I would drop the greatswords for a unit of swordsmen with standard bearer (good for blood and glory) and use the extra points to get something else. 2 7 man detatchments of free company come to mind and fielded 3x3 they are quite nimble. Useable as speed bumps and misdirectors they are tacticly flexible and if left alone and quite capable at taking out warmachines if your cannons have other concerns. Other then that its a pretty standard empire list and with some careful handling should do fairly well. The exclusion of an engineer is a bit glaring as well but ehh.

scubasteve04
06-12-2011, 16:29
I selected the Greatswords as a bodyguard for their stubborn, not 4+ save. No matter how awful the combat goes, they will hold to the last man and give time for a bigger block to bail the BSB out of trouble. Swordsmen are good, but the lack of steadfast means I would need to take much more then 20 to have steadfast and hold out. Its also more of a traditional choice then anything. I used to run a 40 man horde as a hammer unit with my BSB and General, and while they did a pretty bad job at killing stuff (always got singled out by mega spells every game, or multi-charged by hard hitters), they always protected the BSB and General to the last man. They have yet to flee from combat to this day.

As for warmachines, I tend to spread them out a lot of the time (not all the time mind you) instead of putting them in a big cluster. If they are bunched up, they all take panic checks at LD 7 if one of them misfires and blows up, and once enemy war machine hunters reach them, they will be killed quickly as a group. Spreading them out alleviates this to some degree. I am sick of trying to babysit them. Being spread out and somewhat expendable, the Engineer doesn't really fit.