PDA

View Full Version : Armies with low model count?

Junkpile Kid
06-12-2011, 00:58
I was thinking of starting another army but i want to focus on converting and painting fewer models but making them all special. I've recently been playing tau but i want to move on to another army, preferably not grey knights or an army that depends on terminators. I want to be semi-competitive but i want to play an army that feels unique. Perhaps a wraith wall or a bike list or raven wing. I want to see what you guys would suggest though.

DeeKay
06-12-2011, 01:20
So you are looking for:

Low model count,
At least semi-competitive,
No Termis? Not even a few?
Convertable army?

My first thought is, oddly enough, a Chaos Space Marine army. You could do the whole twin lash/pie plate spam pretty well with only a few infantry kits. Outflanking chosen could be your ace in the hole, in terms of both gameplay and modelling.

Pure Ravenwing armies are unnecessarily expensive points-wise, and biker armies can be done better by SM and Orks, believe it or not. Nob Bikers are expensive, damn tough and gain rules benefits from being individually equipped (gotta love wound allocation rules!)

I'm not going to comment too much on the Wraith wall idea, since I lack any experience of the archetype. I assume it has lots of wraiths in the army. If so, consider taking Lychguard to back the wraiths (armed with coils obviously). The rest of the army is up to you.

With regards,
Dan.

Okuto
06-12-2011, 01:24
Grey knights were the first thing that came to mind...it's low count, looks good, easy to paint and tough as nails....only prob is they "don't play well with others" particularly those Pre-IG dex peasants:cries:

LonelyPath
06-12-2011, 01:41
Instead of just listing all competitive stuff I'll list whatever comes to mind.

Orks - 2 Warbosses, 5 mobs of nobs in Battle Wagons, 3 heavy support Battle Wagons. Can be competitive to some degree.

Orks - Bikers/Nob Bikers.

Orks - Meks, Deff Dreads, Kans, Nobs in battle wagons.

SM - bikers

DA - Ravenwing, but not very competitive without Deathwing to back it up. However, Attack Squadrons do have scoring Land Speeder Tornadoes.

IG - Lord Commissars, vets in Chimeras/valkyries, tanks. Can still have a fair number of models if you go for chimeras, but with Valks you can fill up points with those and tanks fairly quickly.

Eldar - Wraith Wall, no experience in playing with or against it, very expensive list to put together though.

Eldar - Jet Bikes, very fragile and low model count, not competitive.

If you don't mind going a little larger though. Orks with 2 Warbosses, 2 Nobs mobs with Battle Wagons (with deff rollas, grot riggers and a couple of big shootas), then fill up on Lootas. Very shooty thanks to the Lootas and the Nobs/Warbosses hit very hard in assault. A alternate is to not take the Battle Wagons and place the Warbosses and Nobs on bikes. Those units then become a nightmare for anything shorts of pie plate instant death to shift and the Lootas shoot up anything within range (and 30+ Lootas on the table can cause a lot of damage each turn).

grey knights rock
06-12-2011, 04:59
Deathwing. Lots of customizable termies if you have the time. Plus, If you include a land raider or two, you are only using 2 squads in games around 1250

Junkpile Kid
06-12-2011, 05:58
Deathwing would be my go to army but i want to see what other people would suggest. Sm bikes sounds viable and could give me a reason to buy some mk3 armor but i feel like i would just end up spamming bike squads and attack bikes special weapons. Are nob ork bikers still doable it seems like they would suffer from all the melta spam, power weapons, poison, and parking lots. I've been thinking of wraithguard. Does anyone here play them with success?

Hicks
06-12-2011, 07:12
Not termies and unique? I'd vote Saim Hann. There is something dead sexy, about a whole army that hovers above the ground and they are a real tactical challenge.

Memnos
06-12-2011, 07:33
Saim-Hann actually isn't a bad idea. It's competitive if difficult to use, can throw a tremendous amount of firepower in to a small area and would look dead sexy. I hadn't considered Eldar.

You're still looking at a model count on 2000 of between 50-70, however.

benogham
06-12-2011, 08:03
Dark Eldar is also competitive and can be made with few minis. I myself own a successfull army of 2k pts with 70 minis almost all converted. The new DE kits are wonderfull to do so if you go the wych and kabal way (less easy on a covent list as it is all finecast). In 2k pts i have 9 vehicules and no footslogger whatsoever. Always fun to see the opponent face when you field this armada on the board humming star wars imperial march. ;)

Bunnahabhain
06-12-2011, 11:08
Descent of angels Blood angel list? Elite, low model count, not too common, and a total contrast to tau.

LonelyPath
06-12-2011, 12:45
Descent of angels Blood angel list? Elite, low model count, not too common, and a total contrast to tau.

I'd forgotten about that list, not sure how though since one of my regular opponents uses it a lot, lol.

sprugly
06-12-2011, 19:10
An all drop Podding power armoured wolf guard army?

The only termi would be Logan and the rest are nice and elite with lots of options plus lots of stuff you could add from other sections of the codex.

What about a dreadnought heavy list? Marines can have 6 and can't blood angels have even more? Plus you could get a contemptor or 3!

Sprugly

druchii
06-12-2011, 19:51
Chaos demons are a low model count army as well. Here's one version of the most competitive list from the book:

Fateweaver
Bloodthirster

Bloodcrushers
Bloodcrushers
Fiends

Plaguebearers
Plaguebearers

Demon prince
Demon prince
Demon prince

Army is compact, brutal, low model count and fairly competitive.

d

Ace Rimmer
06-12-2011, 20:29
Necron's?

Trazyn The Infinite with a 9 strong court of 4 lords (3 with mindshackle scarabs, 1x tesseract labrynth, 2x warscythe, 1x res orb), plus 5 crypteks (1 of each) tricked out with all the toys.
Imotekh with identical court,
5 Warriors with Ghost Ark
5 Warriors with Ghost Ark
1 Annihilation Barge

I make that 2k. and a mere 30 models plus the vehicles :P
Pop the destruction crypteks into the warriors for anti-tank, mount them up, and then teleport the death-star's forwards :D

Zothos
06-12-2011, 20:29
Could do a low model count Necron list pretty easily as well.

RunepriestRidcully
06-12-2011, 23:46
Wraithwall (The eldar one) expensive to get, is fairly good as most armies can't handle mass T6 3+ and T8+, a ten man wraithguard unit with spirit seer costs 381pts basic,then you add in powers for the warlock taking it up to just under 400pts, take either a 3 man jet bike or 5 man pathfinder unit, take a farseer with fortune and runes of warding, a couple of wraithlords and that's about 1000pts, in bigger games add more wraiths and tanks for the non wraith units, enemy willl be hard pressed for target priority, if your opponents allow FW then wraithseer and warphunters also make for a good day.

xxRavenxx
06-12-2011, 23:51
Ork "Deffwing." aka meganob army. Think of all the big models you can use...

musical
06-12-2011, 23:59
The trouble with wraith wall is that there is very little converting you can do on the troops.

atlantis
07-12-2011, 00:04
my armys are all mostly small. eather grey knight terminator assault (useing mordrak and thawn in the lists), blood angels where i take tatical squads for defence then just use terminators or assault marine type death-company in stormravens (with dreadnoughts on the back)

Junkpile Kid
07-12-2011, 00:22
So many interesting choices heheheheheheehehe...
Here's my top so far in no order.
Wraithguard wall
Saim-Hann
epidemius list
fate crusher
sm bike spam
deffwing
How well do you guys think a space marine dread spam can work at clearing the table?
Anyways keep up with any suggestion you can think of. Once I pick an army I'll be doing a lot of conversions based on pre determined themes like man eating warp trees for wraithguard, or clanking trash robots for deffwing.

druchii
08-12-2011, 04:17
So many interesting choices heheheheheheehehe...
Here's my top so far in no order.
Wraithguard wall
Saim-Hann
epidemius list
fate crusher
sm bike spam
deffwing
How well do you guys think a space marine dread spam can work at clearing the table?
Anyways keep up with any suggestion you can think of. Once I pick an army I'll be doing a lot of conversions based on pre determined themes like man eating warp trees for wraithguard, or clanking trash robots for deffwing.

Also an all Death Company Blood Angels army:

Astaroth
Lemartes
6 Jump Pack D. Co
6 Jump Pack D. Co
10 Rhino D. co
10 Rhino D. co
3xdreads in drop pods

Can't really "win" any mission except KPs without wiping their opponent out, but look sexy on the table, are a blast to play (remember you're supposed to die anyway!), and fairly low model count.

d

konoharaven
08-12-2011, 04:30
The trouble with wraith wall is that there is very little converting you can do on the troops.

True, although you could do like that one fellow who made his entire Eldar army out of WHFB Wood Elf kits, and just use Wood Elf Dryads as Wraithguard. The advantage there is that the kits are plastic and therefore significantly cheaper, too.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/albinoork%27s_Exodite_army

I don't know if that's so much conversion as much as it would be counts-as, but that would certainly be in the vein of unique, a fun challenge to paint, and low model count.

blackcherry
08-12-2011, 08:32
Well I know the internet says not to, but nids can rack up the points with very few models.
Mono legion chaos armies can do something similar by having cult troops, termies, obliterators, demon princes and lots of vehicles/monstrous creatures.

Woodsman
08-12-2011, 11:41
I've played a wraithwall for some while but in a non-competitive environment where it does just fine. Eldrad certainly brings a lot to the table and then just go crazy with wraith guard. They really struggle against DE though - poison takes away everything that's so good about WG and they will run around you whilst putting out ridiculous amounts of shots.

Ravariel
08-12-2011, 12:22
If you're looking for converting and model individuality, then Wraithwall is not the way to go (though I bloody love playing it). There are like 3 poses (if you can call them that... slightly differently-positioned gun) for the guard, they're metal and you cannot saw off arms/guns to re-position. Wraithlords are a font of cool conversions, as can be Avengers or Guardians, and harlies (a common counterassault unit for that list) are always fun, but... again... metal.

If you want to convert/individualise your list, then I might suggest something like a World Eaters army. Excellent FW bits, and you can do what you want to berserkers and CSM to make them all khorney and individual. Also SkarFiend Daemons are a fun list. I have a completely non-GW Daemon army that is remarkably individual and a lot of fun to play.

Best o' luck!

Dervos
08-12-2011, 17:02
If you decide to go with Wraithwall your probably going to spend a lot of time on ebay.

They are 15$ per model at GW so any that you can get online from somewhere else used or otherwise will save you a lot of money.

If you bought direct from GW your looking at 150$ before taxes on 10 wraithguard, then another 8$ for a warlock

So if you had two full squads you'd already be clocked in over 320$ without adding tax to it for just two troop sloots

They do ok in CC but they don't have a lot of attacks, you could take enhance with the warlock but it's usually a lot better just to stick with conceal, so a farseer can fortune it.

In one squad of my guard I include a prince yriel because of his great iniative 7 lets him hit before fast hard hitters(I'm looking at you grey knights you can put your halberds down now),

You'll probably only get one chance to shoot with your wraithguard before they get into assault but it's a fun army to play imo.

Ravariel is right about the conversions, it would be a lot of work to make any conversions since the model is one solid metal piece. But you can always add stuff to them or green work things in if you have the knack for it.

Spleen Hammer
08-12-2011, 20:46
I've only seen one measly sentence about 'Nids on this thread. I'm surprised by that, truth be told. I know it goes against common wisdom to field 'Nids nowadays, but they are still among the most kitbashable models out there and beg to be given lots of attention and a unique paint scheme. I'm thinking about the 'Nids a lot here lately. Nothing I'd take to a tourney, but something fun.

Something like;
Hive Tyrant w/good stuff
2 broods of 3 Tyranid Warriors w/stuff
a C-Fex brood, again w/good stuff

That's 8 models total at the 1K level. Add in another Hive Tyrant and a Trygon and you're at the 1.5K level.

Could be fun. This list might not make it to the dance, but imagine the carnage if it did?

LonelyPath
08-12-2011, 22:14
I think he also wanted it to be competitive, something that Nids list certainly isn't, lol.

Paint it Red
08-12-2011, 23:49
Here are a few ideas:
- Sanguinary Guard led by Dante (Blood Angels)
- Mechanised Plague Marines (Chaos Marines)
- Immortal heavy necrons
- Assault squads with dedicated Land raiders (Blood Angels)

I would not suggest Daemons because they are not competitive. Too many armies (read competitive) have their number. Mechanised marines, mechanised imperial guard, dark eldar venoms with loads of poison weapons, grey knights; if these armies are not in your area then daemons have a chance.

I heard some good things about genestealer tyranid lists. However, I have not included it because the list would have just as many models as my imperial guard army.

Edit
I forgot to include black templars. They can still have a lascannon and a plasma gun on a 5 man squad, like the old space marines. But in the long term I imagine they would be changed.

drukawski
09-12-2011, 00:28
Thunderwolf cavalry? Not sure how competitive it is but I see it here and there and I've heard it involves a lot of custom work to make it look good.

Junkpile Kid
09-12-2011, 06:29
The list doesn't have to be that competative. I'm not all that worried about objectives or winning tournaments. I just want to have fun and table a few opponenets every once and a while.
I forgot about thunder cav and death company that could be interesting...
I'm not so sure about tyranids with the carnifex nerf. There aren't many units that i find all that interesting anymore but how would one or two hive tyrants with guards, hive guards, trygons, and min genestealer squads work out?
Ravariel do you have any pictures of your daemon army i'm looking for some more inspiration?
If i went wraithwall i'd probably wouldn't use wraithguard models. I'd focus on using clay and greenstuff with some wood elf bits to make models of a similair size.

drukawski
09-12-2011, 06:49
In that case: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1160096a

Counter-attack, rending, 5 base attacks (which increase to the number to the number of models hes currently base to base with), dual wolf claws (lightning claws that allow you to either reroll hits or wounds every phase), regardless of WS never hits on worse than 3+, Cavalry (6" move, D6 fleet run, 12" assault), 5+ Psychic Power save, plus wolves count as troops.

Pretty crazy HQ choice if you ask me, and he isn't the only HQ that can be mounted on a Thunderwolf. On top of all that you can field up to 4 HQ units without breaking the Force Organization chart.

Ravariel
09-12-2011, 12:10
The list doesn't have to be that competative. I'm not all that worried about objectives or winning tournaments. I just want to have fun and table a few opponenets every once and a while.
I forgot about thunder cav and death company that could be interesting...
I'm not so sure about tyranids with the carnifex nerf. There aren't many units that i find all that interesting anymore but how would one or two hive tyrants with guards, hive guards, trygons, and min genestealer squads work out?
Ravariel do you have any pictures of your daemon army i'm looking for some more inspiration?
If i went wraithwall i'd probably wouldn't use wraithguard models. I'd focus on using clay and greenstuff with some wood elf bits to make models of a similair size.

Well, I don't have any good pics of my own stuff, because I don't paint nearly as well as what you can find online.

I use the model in the first pic below as my Keeper of Secrets (or bloodthirster, just to make the wings work). I also have a couple other Sophie models to use for Daemon Princes(ses). I use the Eclipsantes and other Devourer and Wolfen from the Confrontation line as my Fiends of Slaanesh with the second pic being the centerpiece of that set. And many of the smaller Confrontation models such as the Daikinee elves or Kelt Fiannas as my Daemonettes including the models from the third pic set. I have a lot of the new GW bloodletters, but am looking currently for a good slaaneshi way to have them modeled (my current ones are simply painted pink and bone to twist them a little toward slaanesh). I use Confrontation again for my flesh hounds (see fourth pic), and am currently looking for some good female centaur models to make my Seekers. My current seekers are conversions using spiders with a "centaur"-like old-school daemonette top half. They're okay, but too low to the ground, so I'm looking for other solutions.

I'm also looking at Raging Heroes to get interesting Herald and standard-bearer, and possibly even GDaemon, models... but that's going to take a better job than I have right now. Not a lot in the way of conversions, but an army that more purely inhabits the slaanesh that I expect that opposing armies see, rather than the more grotesque "reality" that their current GW versions entail.

Johnnya10
09-12-2011, 15:22
Nurgle CSM might be an option.
2x 7 man Plague Marine squads
DP
Lord
Dread
5x Chosen
...would be a good core. Then you can take tanks/defilers for HS and if you want some Fast and you don't mind spending (cash), the Blight Drones take plenty of points and some spawns. That's about 20 small bases and Nurgle are a great choice for conversion work. You could add in a greater daemon too.

Oh, and that's about 2000pts. :)

LonelyPath
09-12-2011, 16:36
That Plague Marine list also makes a nice change from the usual Oblit spam you typically find with them :)

brightblade
09-12-2011, 16:38
I have just started a nurgle army. Based on the number 7, got 7 chaos marines, 7 plague marines (twice), 7 raptors, 7 havocs, 7 termies and a couple of loose bits like two obliterators, a lord and a daemon prince. Works out at two thousand points for 45 models and two rhinos. I don't expect to win much but looking goooood. ;)

LonelyPath
09-12-2011, 16:41
My Plague Marines are a very slow work in progress. Going for 3 squads of 7 PM, 7 Chosen, Lord, Daemon Prince and then fill up on heavy support, probably Defilers though I'll likely base mine around the Soul Grinder since I prefer that model.

brightblade
09-12-2011, 16:55
It is taking me a while! I am doing it based on falling space wolves so the conversions are taking time. Plague Wolves! Really looking forward to playing with them, hoping to go to throne of skulls with them in march or april.

gwarsh41
09-12-2011, 17:13
Space wolves, only beef is you will need to bring Logan Grimnar to do anything fun at low count. Then you bring decked out power armor wolf guard. You could also make a biker wolf guard army.

Voss
09-12-2011, 17:16

Probably a good idea. Cost aside, the wraithguard models don't convert well. The arms, gun and chest are all cast tightly together.

LonelyPath
09-12-2011, 17:42
I've seen people convert Wood Elf Dryads for their Wraith Guard.

Moriarty
09-12-2011, 21:35
Ork 'Wrath of Kan' army - 2 x Big Mek, 2 x Deff Dread, 9 x Killa Kan, fill out points with Mega Nobz. Can't grab Objectives, but a whole lot of stompin' goin' on!

pyrosocial
09-12-2011, 22:58
Haven't done too much model painting but when i Do or I pull out the scetchpad I like to watch sweeny todd or tv shows I have seasons of, like scrubs, bleach, or the walking dead. Just make sure you've already seen it because you don't want to be distracted.

LonelyPath
10-12-2011, 13:32
Haven't done too much model painting but when i Do or I pull out the scetchpad I like to watch sweeny todd or tv shows I have seasons of, like scrubs, bleach, or the walking dead. Just make sure you've already seen it because you don't want to be distracted.

Which is exactly what I do when I get around to painting :D It's nice to have in the background and it doesn't distract you to much. Plus if you're having to wait for things to dry you can watch a bit of it :)