PDA

View Full Version : FFG Rogue Trader Q?

KarlPedder
06-12-2011, 16:33
Not sure where to post this but I picked up a copy of Rogue Trader today and was extremely dissapointed when I got to character creation......

Do any of the supplements provide alternative character creation that doesn't use 80s DnD style characteristics rolls?

Ive played RPGs for a long time and I (apparently mistakenly) thought that type of system had been largely abandoned because the cons outweigh the pros....

Zond
06-12-2011, 16:54
I know Black Crusade has point allocation as well as random rolls, though I can't recall any supplement off the top of my head for Rogue Trader that does that.

All you really have to do is decide on a number in a points pool, how much a stat can be upgraded to, then start spending the points.

LonelyPath
06-12-2011, 17:27
It's based on WFRP and not D&D :D

You can always create a point allocation system to use during character creation. Look at the basic stats and how many d10s players get to add in total, which is 18d10 take the average of that which will be roughly 100 (seeing how 2d10 have a higher average than 10) and give them that many points to add to their starting scores.

I hope that helps :)

EDIT - I just noticed that this is in the bottom right corner of the RT rulebook, lol!

MarcoSkoll
06-12-2011, 18:08
As has been said, it is possible to distribute stats from a pool of 100, but this has the possible side effect of players meta-gaming, and distributing stats in neat chunks of 5s so they can get good characteristic bonuses on all the right stats and advance neatly through all the upgrades.

I've had no problems with it as it is. Don't forget, players can get bonuses through their origin path (and a re-roll to one stat) if they really get it bad.

I'd suggest rolling, and in the case that a stat-line comes up atrocious for what the player wants to do (like a psyker with a really low willpower), wade in with your GM power and let them swap a couple of the rolls around (just make sure you don't just swap the stats neat, as those might have origin bonuses which shouldn't be swapped.).

KarlPedder
07-12-2011, 04:51
As has been said, it is possible to distribute stats from a pool of 100, but this has the possible side effect of players meta-gaming, and distributing stats in neat chunks of 5s so they can get good characteristic bonuses on all the right stats and advance neatly through all the upgrades.

See I've never really experienced this due to primarily playing white wolf RPGs and I tell you those folks manage to do a really good job of making you feel like a douche for min/maxing, with their regular comments about the differences between Rollplayers and Roleplayers and such.

Chrysis
07-12-2011, 05:41
Did you look at the bottom of page 14 where it suggests how to do point buy?

MarcoSkoll
07-12-2011, 09:31
See I've never really experienced this...
Even if you manage to dissuade players from total meta-gaming, there's still going to be the temptation to get those valuable 40+ characteristics in the right places and avoid any "bad" results. So, inevitably, characters are going to end up relatively more powerful.

While I normally advocate a self-statted approach for when I play Inquisitor, characters can pick up interesting quirks from randomisation.
My Dark Heresy assassin lost several inches from her (planned) height, an idea that hadn't even previously occurred to me, after a low roll for strength.
And I'm very happy playing the five foot nothing death machine. For one thing, I bang my head on far fewer low beams than I do in real life.

Overall, it's not like 1st ed D&D, where those 3D6 could end up hopelessly low or astronomically high. Because there's a fixed component to the rolls, no one will end up completely out of the game, and it might make them consider options they otherwise hadn't.

But, ultimately, it's your choice.

LonelyPath
07-12-2011, 13:11
See I've never really experienced this due to primarily playing white wolf RPGs and I tell you those folks manage to do a really good job of making you feel like a douche for min/maxing, with their regular comments about the differences between Rollplayers and Roleplayers and such.

I've never liked the WW game system myself, though I did enjoy the d20 Ravenloft books that they published written by the Kargatane (and some others). Shame WotC bought the license back since they've dne practically nothing with the setting since except do their best to mess it up :(

zam2
08-12-2011, 12:24
Not sure where to post this but I picked up a copy of Rogue Trader today and was extremely dissapointed when I got to character creation......

Do any of the supplements provide alternative character creation that doesn't use 80s DnD style characteristics rolls?

Ive played RPGs for a long time and I (apparently mistakenly) thought that type of system had been largely abandoned because the cons outweigh the pros....

Rogue Trader, chapter 1 character creation stage 1: generating characteristics, Page 14. in the GM outbox Allocating Points.

"An alternate method for generating scores is to give each player a number of Characteristic points that he may assign as he wishes. In this case, the player begins with a score of 25 and may allocate a total of 100 additional points to his Characteristics, adding no more than 20 to any one Characteristic. This method will generate characters with slightly higher than average scores."

Try having a more thorough read of character creation.