PDA

View Full Version : Starting Chaos: Pure Khorne doable?

Darthvegeta800
06-12-2011, 18:09
I've finished my Grey Knights army. And although I picked up some cheap metals on ebay I still need to get and then paint, in essence my big 3000 pts army is well and truly finished. The rest are extras.

I've been painting Brets for ages now and I really want a change of pace.
I love painting even if I suck at it and hence I like to change things up a bit once in a while.

I had been considering some Chaos Space Marines but I feel that hording more vehicules would just take up too much space...

So I decided to go for... Warriors of Chaos.

Although I love Tzeentch I don't feel like messing around too much with wizardry in game and am looking for a simple, fun, rush in your face army.

Is a pure Khorne army this? Or just an unplayable mess?

Also... should I get 2 Batallions for starters? Or would that be a waste?

Champion wise I'd like to pick up the Chaos Exalted Hero or Khorne Exalted Hero and the mounted Khorne Lord.

Unit wise I was planning to build one large block of basic Marauders. 2 24 blocks of Chaos Warriors (one led by the number 2 Champion, one unit of Knights (with a lord) and the doggies up front.

logan054
06-12-2011, 18:10
sadly you still need a scroll caddie, apart for that you should be ok..

TheOneHawk
06-12-2011, 18:15
Bull **** you need a scroll caddy. Pure Khorne is workable, I play Nurgle but I go casterless all the time and do just fine. It's not optimal, but internet logic optimal gets boring. Fast.

2 battalions would do great. Very solid start to an army.

Remember, if you don't want magic, or anything else for that matter, don't let anyone tell you that you -need- it. Just because someone on the internet thinks it's the best choice, or even if it actually is, doesn't make anything mandatory, ever. The only things that are mandatory are 25% core, a general, and 3 units. That's it. I don't see caster in that list.

logan054
06-12-2011, 18:18
Bull **** you need a scroll caddy. Pure Khorne is workable, I play Nurgle but I go casterless all the time and do just fine. It's not optimal, but internet logic optimal gets boring. Fast.

A scroll caddy isn't optimal, when i say a scroll caddie I mean a lvl2 with dispel scroll rather than a lvl4, +2 to dispel rolls makes a massive difference unless your playing against someone with lore of fire. If I was talking optimal I would have said not to even use a Khorne list

Darthvegeta800
06-12-2011, 18:25
Question: What are the pro's and the con's of pure Tzeentch versus pure Khorne?

Also... are Chosen a must?

TheOneHawk
06-12-2011, 18:27
It's still not mandatory by any stretch of the imagination. How about instead of telling someone his idea won't work (which it will, btw, not everyone is trying to win tournies) you give him advice and answer his questions on how to make it work. He just said he doesn't want magic, so you tell him he needs magic. Helpful.

Of course Khorne isn't optimal. Optimal is pretty much mono Tzeentch with a bunch of disk riding characters with 3+ ward saves, a massive block of chosen with a 3+ ward save and 2 units of Khorne marauder hordes for core. Y'know what, I've never once played that list and I win quite a few games. I've played without a scroll caddy a bunch as well, and still won. Winning also isn't everyone's entire goal. Some people feel the game isn't worth playing if they won't win at least 90% of the time. If someone wants to play a mono Khorne list, they probably aren't one of those people, so why should he -have- to do anything because it's better in your opinion.

logan054
06-12-2011, 18:29
Tzeentch:

Characters have easy access to 3+ wardsave, 5+ warsave from HW+SH, mark combines well with ironcurse iron and blasted standard for good range protection, it cheap, chosen with warshrines are just wrong

Khorne:

units are more killy, characters are good but don't have the 3+ wardsave, erm, no wizards if you want to be super fluffy, if you wanna bend it abit then you count your lvl2 as a warrior priest. Frenzy can have your units running out of position (as they have to overrun and chase).

Generally Tzeentch is better but i like the look of Khorne more

It's still not mandatory by any stretch of the imagination. How about instead of telling someone his idea won't work (which it will, btw, not everyone is trying to win tournies) you give him advice and answer his questions on how to make it work. He just said he doesn't want magic, so you tell him he needs magic. Helpful.

I didn't tell him his idea didn't work, I said he needs to take a wizard so he doesn't get completely ruined by magic, taking a lvl2 wizard using him as a warrior priest (which is in the fluff btw) is helping, now if I was to say "take a lvl4 wizard with lore of shadow, puppet and a lvl2 with 3rd eye" you might have a point ;)

bildo
06-12-2011, 18:34
mono-khorne is effectivly the unstoppable force, compared to mono-tzeentch whos the imovable object.

with monokhorne id be tempted to take 1 unit of maybe 30 warriors with halberds, and a couple of hordes of marauders with gw. 1 unit of marauders would have wulfrik in, just for a laugh (because he is both fun and scarey) as the look on the enemies face when 50 marauders comes on behind them. take that tzeentch chosen, that unit in the back and warriors in the front *KAPOW* 1 slightly hurt unit of chosen

TheOneHawk
06-12-2011, 18:35
Question: What are the pro's and the con's of pure Tzeentch versus pure Khorne?

Also... are Chosen a must?

Pro's of Tzeentch:

Best mark hands down, honestly.
Really powerful magic
3+ ward saves (Nobody else in the game can do this)
3+ save chosenstar of doom

Cons of Tzeentch:

Cheesy and overdone. Everyone does it because it's such a no-brainer best mark in the book.
Will be nerfed. Hard. Soon.

Pro's of Khorne:

Not cheesy and overdone
Nasty as hell troops. You can get 5 attack rank and file warriors. Seriously, that's pretty nasty.
Combat lords are really fun to play
Less likely to be nerfed in the new book, which will come out within the year.

Con's of Khorne:

No magic
No magic defense
No 3+ ward save (Oh no! We have to be on an even playing field with the other armies?!)

And chosen aren't mandatory, nothing is, but they are good and can make the chosenstar of doom, which is pretty nasty.

AlphariusOmegon20
06-12-2011, 18:44
Khorne and Tzeentch get the same job done two different ways.

Khorne goes for the the quick kill, overwhelming the enemy through a sheer rain of attacks. The downside is Khorne has a bit of a glass jaw and doesn't take a return pounding very well. Khorne tends to be Offensive in nature. Double hand weapon is optimal IMO, as it affords you the most attacks, playing to your strength.

Tzeentch on the other hand tends to be Defensive in nature. Tzeentch is designed for wars of attrition, to wear down the enemy through multiple rounds of combat. The downside to Tzeentch is lack of high strength. HW/Shield is the optimal setup for them , as it plays to their strength.

I prefer Tzeentch as it fits my playstyle better, but a Khorne army, if it fits your style, is viable.

Darthvegeta800
06-12-2011, 18:47
Hmmm would it be okay to focus on CHaos Warriors and have just one huge big ass Marauder unit to take hits? (merge the 2 units of the batallion boxes)
As i'd like to field them because they're fluffy but not more than that. Due to the fact I want to optimalize the joy of painting. And I just love painting armor.

As for Chosen... how many of these fellows would I need?

Also this Halberd thing for the Warriors, how does that work? The entire unit is equipped with two handers?
I am not an expert on Warriors but i thought they only came with double weapons or shield and weapon?

For starters what do you guys think of the following?

2 batallions ->

Merge the Chaos Warriors, Mark of Khorne 2x handweapons
Merge the Marauders: Horde, armed with (???)
2 units of Hounds to be a vanguard and keep the Warriors from being funnelled away too soon by marauders?
2 seperate units of Knights of Khorne (equipment? Also is it perhaps advised to merge the into one solid dependable unit?)

In time I would then add 2 boxes of Warriors merged into a single block once more.
And perhaps some Chosen of Khorne.

Mind I'm new to fantasy, I'm far more experienced at 40K (and I've played that irregularly over the years)

Also thanks for all the feedback. And I don't mind the magic comment or the suggestion. It was politely brought so i don't really mind.

Lord Inquisitor
06-12-2011, 18:51
Not taking a caster is possible but it's giving up on a lot of return for not a lot of points.

Thematically speaking, I like the idea of taking an unmarked caster with Fire lore (possibly on a daemonic steed to give some bulk) and modelling him as a daemonic engine, possibly some form of cannon of khorne and then use it to blast fireballs in the magic phase! Dispel scroll represents antimagic wards on the cannon.

TheOneHawk
06-12-2011, 18:52
There is no option for halberds in the box, but you can use the lances from your knights, or there is a blister with 10 halberds available.

Keep the knights seperate, imo.

You don't need huge blocks of warriors. 18 is a good size, 3x6.

Marauders with great weapons and no armour. This is where Khorne is optimal. 2 S5 WS4 attacks for 5 points a model is nasty.

Hounds in units of 5 with no upgrades is how I run them. They'll make great screens if you don't want your warriors charging due to a failed frenzy check.

Darthvegeta800
06-12-2011, 19:00
There is no option for halberds in the box, but you can use the lances from your knights, or there is a blister with 10 halberds available.

Keep the knights seperate, imo.

You don't need huge blocks of warriors. 18 is a good size, 3x6.

Marauders with great weapons and no armour. This is where Khorne is optimal. 2 S5 WS4 attacks for 5 points a model is nasty.

Hounds in units of 5 with no upgrades is how I run them. They'll make great screens if you don't want your warriors charging due to a failed frenzy check.

Hmmmm i think i'll stick with 2 weapons. Cheaper on my bankaccount and the berserk approach is fluffy.

So in short for this build i'd need to get...

2 Batallions and one regiment box of Chaos Warriors.
That sounds good. I'll go for that. At how much do you estimate this amounts pts wise roughly?

TheOneHawk
06-12-2011, 19:02
With a solid chaos lord in with one block of warriors, and a BSB hero in with the other, you could probably pull off a decent 2K list.

TheOneHawk
06-12-2011, 19:03
Also, I'd use the lances on the knights to make at least a few of them halberd warriors, so that if you ever want to try it differently, you can. That's just me, though.

Darthvegeta800
06-12-2011, 19:06
Question... >_>; how do i tackle the BSB hero. I keep forgettig about that. Chaos has no cool model for it right?

Question 2: Shouldn't all members of a regiment have the same equipment?

TheOneHawk
06-12-2011, 19:11
I have a chosen unit where half of them don't even have weapons, just mutations. As long as the front rank is pretty clear what's going on, most people won't mind.

I have a couple BSB heroes. You have to convert it, but it's not too hard. What I would personally do is take this guy http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440026a&prodId=prod1160053a&rootCatGameStyle= and cut off his left hand, replace it with a banner staff from the warriors regiment, and then make a really impressive banner somehow. I believe Ogres have some pretty big banners that look appropriate. Bitz stores are you friend in this.

Daniel36
06-12-2011, 19:16
Go for whatever you want to do. Themed lists are so much more fun.
*whine* Yeah if you want to lose all the time *whine*

Pffllrgggrhhhmble...

Darthvegeta800
06-12-2011, 19:16
Thanks!

Probably my last question.

If I pick up that guy as a Bsb fellow...
And I pick the Khorne lord on a horsie.

Is it still possible for me to field th Khorne Lord on foot with the shield or the one with the chainweapon + axe?

Darthvegeta800
06-12-2011, 19:17
Go for whatever you want to do. Themed lists are so much more fun.
*whine* Yeah if you want to lose all the time *whine*

Pffllrgggrhhhmble...

I don't mind. I play for fun and fluffy for the most part.
I try to aim for semi-competitive if possible though. So lists that at least have a fighting chance.
If I got to kill a good portion of fellows on the other side of the table I'm already happy usally...

Hmm guess I'm pretty Khornate!!!! :D

TheOneHawk
06-12-2011, 19:22
You can, yes, but there are points limits on characters. In a 2K game you can spend 500 on heroes and 500 on lords. A good BSB is about 200, a good Lord on foot is 350-500 and a Lord on Jugger will run you probably pretty close to 500.

So if you wanted to have a lord on Jugger, a BSB hero and a normal hero, you could use all three models, yes.

Darthvegeta800
06-12-2011, 19:26
Not even going for a Juggy. Just one on a regular horsie. :)
But glad to hear i'll be able to field 3 of em.

:)

For Khornate heroes do you advise the footslogger one to have the Axe or the axe and shield? (WYSIWYG)

TheOneHawk
06-12-2011, 19:27
Axe and shield, since you'll probably give him a magic weapon and you can't have additional hand weapon when you have a magic weapon, so you pretty much have to give him a shield.

Darthvegeta800
06-12-2011, 19:41
Well I placed my order. In time would it be useful to add in a Hellcannon or 2? It looks thematically like an agressive and erratic thingie. Powerful but not unfluffy persay.

TheOneHawk
06-12-2011, 19:44
Hellcannons are definitely fun. If they hit, they can make a unit pretty much combat ineffective in one shot. They're also virtually immune to warmachine hunters, since it's a combat monster as well. Definitely fits with Khorne, and gives you some range which you're forfeiting via the lack of magic.

Darthvegeta800
06-12-2011, 19:58
Okies I think i'll add 2 of them to my armor once I finish the 2 batallions and the extra warrior regiment.

Does anyone know where I might get my hands on a cool and good Chaos Banner for my BSB?

TheOneHawk
06-12-2011, 20:05
Bitzbarn.com

Hordeobits.com

Look around, you'll find something, I'm sure.

Darthvegeta800
06-12-2011, 20:40
Bitzbarn.com

Hordeobits.com

Look around, you'll find something, I'm sure.

Might this be suitable?
http://bitzbarn.com/oscommerce/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1413

Or too small for a bsb?

macdaddy
06-12-2011, 23:00
for a banner top, check out the minotaur banner, and add the appropriate icon to the top.

logan054
06-12-2011, 23:14
Thanks!

Probably my last question.

If I pick up that guy as a Bsb fellow...
And I pick the Khorne lord on a horsie.

Is it still possible for me to field th Khorne Lord on foot with the shield or the one with the chainweapon + axe?

Well your speaking to fellow Khorne player :P heres my BSB

Exalted
MoK
Halberd
BSB
Regen (4+ ward would be better but I don't like losing chaos armour :( )

not tested yet but he looks cool!

Not even going for a Juggy. Just one on a regular horsie. :)

Mono Khorne player without a jugger, why are you even bothering :p you must use that awesome model, I always do!!! (he uses my talismans of preservation :( ).

thesheriff
07-12-2011, 15:31
The following build is a fun build for mono-khorne, and gives you some decent magic;

*Chaos Lord, MOK, Juggernaught, Shield, Wizards Hat, Thrid eye of tzeentch.

However, i can see people objecting to this. I reckon mono-khoren could work mage-less. You will just need to chock full of marauders so your not so burdend my casualties to magic. Warriors, unless debuffed, are pretty resistant to do-or-dies (high I and reasonably high S).

All the points you save on expensive mages (400pts+) coudl be spent on hellcannons, warshrines, warriors, marauders and chosen.

thesheriff

Lord Inquisitor
07-12-2011, 15:33
Khornites do use bound items. So a wizard that "counts as" a daemon spewing balefire or a daemonic engine or even a daemonic weapon is a fluffy way to incorporate magic.

logan054
07-12-2011, 16:55
The following build is a fun build for mono-khorne, and gives you some decent magic;

*Chaos Lord, MOK, Juggernaught, Shield, Wizards Hat, Thrid eye of tzeentch

Get out :p
BTW, he's just going to get a cannon ball to the face, if you want to use a khorne characte with a santas hat then he has to be on a horse or on foot so he can hide in a unit ;)

popisdead
07-12-2011, 17:08
You'd need to either take enough casualties and allow for your spells to not have a good chance at being dispelled (not good when people will take Lore of Metal against you).

I suggest taking mages with pure khorne. Just don't mark then Slaanesh and you'll only be breaking fluff a little.

Darthvegeta800
07-12-2011, 17:34
Well your speaking to fellow Khorne player :P heres my BSB

Exalted
MoK
Halberd
BSB
Regen (4+ ward would be better but I don't like losing chaos armour :( )

not tested yet but he looks cool!

Mono Khorne player without a jugger, why are you even bothering :p you must use that awesome model, I always do!!! (he uses my talismans of preservation :( ).

In time in time. Atm i'm pressing costs a bit. I'm sure eventually I'll also give the Khorne Jugger and a DP of Khorne a try. :)
But not yet. I'm going for a more basic list.
Plus i really like the Khorne Warrior on Horse. (though my horsie will be black with ruby eyes :p )

TheOneHawk
07-12-2011, 17:41
That is a Juggernaut mate. I don't think there is a basic Lord on Chaos Steed for Khorne.

Darthvegeta800
07-12-2011, 17:45
Yes there is... The Khorne Lord on Horse http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440026a&prodId=prod1050009&rootCatGameStyle=

Darthvegeta800
07-12-2011, 17:49
for a banner top, check out the minotaur banner, and add the appropriate icon to the top.

Thanks! Ordered it! :)

IcedCrow
07-12-2011, 17:58
I ran a khorne-only force for years. It's a lot of fun. Even when the internet tells you that you will get pwned in the mouth.

My lord rode a steed and rode with his knights. My BSB was a custom conversion using chariot wheels, tomb king horns, and a 5th edition plastic warrior lance.

I sometimes ran a third hero who would run with marauders to beef up their offensive output.

My theme was the "Trumpets of Khorne"... heralds of Archaon's coming, who wielded huge trumpets which they would use to herald their coming, and ultimately of the enemy's ultimate doom. I went to Chicago with them in the early 2000s.

Darthvegeta800
07-12-2011, 18:00
I ran a khorne-only force for years. It's a lot of fun. Even when the internet tells you that you will get pwned in the mouth.

My lord rode a steed and rode with his knights. My BSB was a custom conversion using chariot wheels, tomb king horns, and a 5th edition plastic warrior lance.

I sometimes ran a third hero who would run with marauders to beef up their offensive output.

My theme was the "Trumpets of Khorne"... heralds of Archaon's coming, who wielded huge trumpets which they would use to herald their coming, and ultimately of the enemy's ultimate doom. I went to Chicago with them in the early 2000s.

Coolies :) Did you field Hounds, mounted Marauders or some artillery?

TheOneHawk
07-12-2011, 18:35
Yeah, see, that model is a lord on juggernaut. You could use him as a lord on Daemonic steed, or just a lord on Chaos Steed as well, but the base size is wrong for normal steed.

Darthvegeta800
07-12-2011, 18:40
Well a Daemonic Steed is fine. I can pretend it is a 'nightmare' so to speak. I just didn't feel like going for the typical Juggy. Plus he had a sword. I felt like having my main hero wielding some sort of malevolent DaemonSWORD. :)

IcedCrow
07-12-2011, 18:45
Coolies :) Did you field Hounds, mounted Marauders or some artillery?

My list was basically:

Khorne Lord on warsteed with 7 chaos knights (making the sacred number 8) with full command.

BSB Khorne Hero with 15 chaos warriors (making the sacred number 8 using 16). Typical load out was double weapons.

Khorne hero with 23 khorne mauraders (either flails or sword and shield depending on how i felt) making the sacred number 8 using 24.

Three units of five warhounds for a screen.

Two chaos khorne chariots.

Three or four trolls.

A unit of marauder horsemen.

In the 6th ed days I'd also field a unit of wargors as a skirmisher screen and a unit of furies before that stuff got stripped out of the mortal list.

I would change up a few extras but that was my basic core. I liked taking dragon ogres or shaggoths as well.

Mind you this is a 6th/7th edition list. It was poked fun of as it had infantry units in it and internetz wizdom said to never do that, but I won more than I lost with it.

I'm doing a slaaneshi mortal list now which has a hellcannon in it, as well as a lord on booby snake or manticore.

Darthvegeta800
07-12-2011, 18:59
Coolies.
Btw are those Chariots and that Daemonlord on a manticore worth anything nowadays?

march10k
07-12-2011, 19:05
Unit wise I was planning to build one large block of basic Marauders. 2 24 blocks of Chaos Warriors (one led by the number 2 Champion, one unit of Knights (with a lord) and the doggies up front.

Hmmm...the two bats would give you 40 marauders, IIRC...that's pretty decent for that block. 24 khorne warriors per block is a bit much, granted they're not as durable as tzeentch warriors, but you really only need twelve to make it across the board to get full attacks, so 18 per would be plenty (not that you'll regularly take even as many as six casualties!!!), meaning one box of warriors, not two, over and above the battalion. Knights...I'd recommend two blocks of five over one block of ten. Um...couldn't you take a champion with the book of secrets to unlock caster status and get access to a scroll that way? I don't have my book on me to be sure, but that sounds right... That's if you feel like you need/want a scroll. Personally, I haven't used on in over a year, in any army. Anything important enough to draw a scroll is going to be deliberately miscast anyway....

To answer the question, though, mono lists work, especially if you're willing to expand the definition of mono-marking to allow the inclusion of unmarked stuff. The mono-Tz army I'm building, frinstance, will include a block of unmarked (I consider it unfluffy for every single unit in an entire army to have the special favor of a patron god anyway!) great weapon marauders.

Darthvegeta800
07-12-2011, 19:11
Thanks. That's roughly the plan i decided upon. Seems most people in this thread are offering similar advise which is comforting in that it hence is probably quite correct. :)

thesheriff
07-12-2011, 23:05
Khornites do use bound items. So a wizard that "counts as" a daemon spewing balefire or a daemonic engine or even a daemonic weapon is a fluffy way to incorporate magic.

Get out :p
BTW, he's just going to get a cannon ball to the face, if you want to use a khorne characte with a santas hat then he has to be on a horse or on foot so he can hide in a unit ;)

I thought that idea would get shouted down. Still, the idea of a self hating khorne lord appeals to me somewhat.

And he should be on a steed.

But let's not detract. Mono-khorne is doable with or without magic.

IcedCrow
07-12-2011, 23:21
Coolies.
Btw are those Chariots and that Daemonlord on a manticore worth anything nowadays?

Internet wizdomz says NO you should be using a level 4 sorcerer at all times (which if you are playing pure khorne you can't do).

My chariots and lord on a manticore have done well. I'm not going to say that they will always "make their points back" but they definitely give me fast assault options that can pwn someone in the mouth hard, especially those that cling to "internet wizdomz" who will under estimate it.

vinny t
07-12-2011, 23:25
Double helcannons is a pretty good idea for an all khorne army. It gives you some more dimension to your list and you might even be able to *gasp* make the enemy come to you! I'd suggest around 2 medium sized warrior units, 2 min sized knight units, one or 2 Marauder units, some dogs, and double helcannons. It's a pretty brutal list

logan054
07-12-2011, 23:48
I thought that idea would get shouted down. Still, the idea of a self hating khorne lord appeals to me somewhat.

So you want a Emo khorne lord?

thesheriff
08-12-2011, 07:21
So you want a Emo khorne lord?

He would be basically :p

grumbaki
08-12-2011, 07:51
Why take a wizard?

Rod of Torment
This pitted iron rod hums with maelific energy. When pointed at the foe it can cause crippling pain.
Bound item, magic missile. I can picture a Khornate warrior using this, if for nothing else than to cull the weak who do not deserve to taste his axe.

Banner of Wrath
The Banner of Wrath is surrounded by seething Daemons that lash out at enemies of Chaos with dark lightning.
Bound item, magic missile. A standard with bloodletters (hey, mono list) bound into it. Sounds Khornate enough to me.

Ruby Ring of Destruction
My own fluff
A ring with a bloodletter bound into it. When a Khornate champion points it at the enemy, the daemon is released for a short amount of time. It goes into a killing frenzy as it tears at the enemy, only to be pulled back inside the ring.
Bound item, magic missile.

==============

Khornate Hero
Ruby Ring of Destruction, something else

Khornate Hero
Rod of Torment, Enchanted Shield

Chaos Warriors
Blasted Standard

There you go. No wizards, no 'counts-as', no 'undivided.' The Blood God has no qualms about using magic items, especially when the fluff of the items doesn't point to the other gods. And with this, you get 3 magic missiles to cast a turn, each of which is easy to get off. And all for 125 points, which is about the same as paying for a lvl 2 undivided sorceror. Not bad for an army with no casters, eh?

Akkaryn
08-12-2011, 08:28
Coolies.

I'm currently experimenting with a Khorne only list that uses 5 Chariots and no Mages a few bound items and such. Now my local metagame doesn't have that much artillery. An Ogre player that uses a single Ironblaster. How ever a player has started using Empire so it could be much different against them.

logan054
08-12-2011, 11:09
Yes there is... The Khorne Lord on Horse http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440026a&prodId=prod1050009&rootCatGameStyle=

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440108a&prodId=prod1160123a

You could use that one with head and shield swap from say this model:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440108a&prodId=prod1160055a

Then you can just use whats left over as the basis of a BSB conversion.

He would be basically :p

Why take a wizard?

What about something like

Chaos sorcerer
lvl2
Sword of anti-heroes
enchanted shield
lore of fire

Then put him in a unit with banner of rage, still gives you the +2 to dispel which is better than being against +4 to cast and having nothing, makes him ok in combat in challenges, or you could just stick him on a horse with a chaos runesword in a unit of knights with banner of rage giving him:

WS6 S5 A4

I hate you, turning a Khorne guy in a emo, they or more bikers, slaanesh are emo :p

blood_beast
08-12-2011, 11:48

Wow, I had never actual thought of that idea! That's brilliant. I'll start working on ideas for a daemon engine straight away!

BigbyWolf
08-12-2011, 11:50
Just to add a few words to the "no magic" issue. I think Khorne can do this quite well. They have access to a few MR items, and while not the best defence against magic, they certainly help. I don't run Mono-Khorne myself, but I do run a VC list without any casters in it, and it doesn't do as badly as some may think. Factor in the fact that Chaos troops are better than Ghouls, Skeletons and Black Knights, and I don't think there's much to worry about.

Personally, I would say doing Mono-Khorne means using no wizards at all, and not trying to shoe-horn a caster/caddy in there with dubious "counts-as".

But that's just me.

theunwantedbeing
08-12-2011, 13:34
Magic defence is largely down to the winds of magic rolls than what modifier you have to dispel attempts. Magical resistance is virtually irrelevant these days.

The only real way to alter it is to add dispel dice of your own and/or take powerdice off the other guy but only empire and dwarves can do this is any real useful effect.

You can fit shooting into a mono-khorne list easily enough.
Hellcannons are fair game for a khornate army for example, as are throwing axes, bloodcurdling roar and the various available breath weapons. So this will help break the monotony of seemingly only getting to move and fight with your mono-khorne list.

Don't try to shoe-horn a counts as mage into the mix, this is mono-khorne and that means no magic, not even slave mages. If you must add any magic user, stick the wizards hat on a khorne lord.