PDA

View Full Version : Sreaming bell or plague furnace

rob_appo
06-12-2011, 21:49
Im sure this descussion has come up before however I would like to know which people prefer and what sort of experiences people have had using them, as Im thinking of starting a skaven army and would like to use one of them.

CmdrLaw
06-12-2011, 22:54
Plague Furnace is ace, fantastic offence and makes all the rats unbreakable (for much cheaper than the bell) Always worthwhile.

Benefit the bell has is the 4+ ward... as 1 cannon shot will bring down the Furnace and the Priest in 1 luck shot.

Steed
07-12-2011, 00:38
best feature of the Plague Furnace is the lack of randomness. You know whats going to happen.

ftayl5
07-12-2011, 01:22
The bell can be better but it can also be worse.
One battle it will be amazing, the next it will do nothing.

The plague furnace is just always good.

So it's up to you, both are very very good choices.

Grey Seer
07-12-2011, 19:31
I would agree with the above but add: The Screaming Bell with Grey Seer is a lot of points for a single model. So for games of less than 2400 points, don't take the Bell.

Tuttivillus
07-12-2011, 19:42
I would agree with the above but add: The Screaming Bell with Grey Seer is a lot of points for a single model. So for games of less than 2400 points, don't take the Bell.

Like if the rest of the skaven force were not cheap enough?:p But, yeah, from my Imperial perspective Plaguefurnace is a an ace!

calnen
07-12-2011, 19:45
As someone who faces them, I find the furnace scarier. The plague monks (with their inevitable banner) have munched through my poor dwarfs many times, including units worth twice as much as they are.

rob_appo
08-12-2011, 14:53
Also how many plague monks would people recomend for the furnace, and what sort of unit and how many of them would people recomend for the bell.

Grey Seer
08-12-2011, 15:24
30 to 40 depending on the size of the game. Generally speaking I would put them 7 wide +3 for the furnance to make it a hoard.

cyberspite
08-12-2011, 22:02
best feature of the Plague Furnace is the lack of randomness. You know whats going to happen.

See I see it the other way, best feature of the bell is it's randomness, that's what skaven are all about. ;)

tarrym
10-12-2011, 11:03
So I've tried both and here are my thoughts:

Plague Furnace:
- Really good offensive abilities (but see * below)
- Unbreakable can compensate for any failed Frenzy tests
- Cheaper access to an Unbreakable unit
- * Against WS3 T3 Light Armour troops, the furnaces offensive abilities on average does only slightly more damage than the standard Plague Monks you displace - assuming you're in horde formation
- Makes the Plague Priest pretty expensive, and an easy target (cannons, or just massed attacks against him in combat due to larger footprint)
- 50 Plague Monks can be just as good a unit as 35 + a furnace

Screaming Bell:
- The 18" Ld bubble (if your Grey Seer is your general) is REALLY good
- Ward save and MR for your Grey Seer is pretty good
- Don't count on any of the bell's abilities. They may help from time to time, but are far too random to factor into any plans - and yes they could hinder you as well as help
- Unbreakable unit is good. However your Grey Seer doesn't want to be in combat, so don't go putting it in the front lines

Personally, in games around 2000-2500pts I prefer not to use either and would rather just go for more rats. However at 3000pts I can see myself using a Plague Furnace.

BigbyWolf
10-12-2011, 11:20
I'd say Furnace, but only because the only Skaven army I'd ever want to run would be Clan Pestilens (entirely...Skrolk, Priests, Furnaces, Monks, Censers & Plagueclaws).

Thinking about it...I may be a little biased.