PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Space Marine - New Codex vs Reboot

tuo
06-12-2011, 23:50
As a die hard and long, long, looooong year Chaos Space Marine player, with more than 30.000 points in a single Chaos Space Marine army I collected over the last fifteen years, the rumors about the release of a new Chaos Codex and maybe even a Legion Codex next year sound promising.

As I am currently digging through all the unopened stuff I collected over the past few years but never painted, I am currently slowly moving up to the more recent Chaos Marine kits while painting, namely the plastic Chaos Marines released back in 4th ed if I remember correctly.

When I started with my Chaos army, I seem to have been young and naive and seem to have stuck with it eversince, as Chaos to me always was: add spikes, have Chaos.

Today, while looking through my army, I have to admit that many of the Rogue Trader models tend to be the ones which to me have the most character, as they follow a different route.

The whole design aspect of Chaos Marines is never really explained. Of course we have the eight pointed star, and that might explain why every Chaos Marines has to have spikes and parts of the star on his armor, but looking at recent kits, like Necrons, Blood Angels, Dark Eldar, all these design ideas and "loose ends" have been taken and put into greatly detailed models. With a theme behind them.

Current Chaos models seem like something from the past...design features without fluff behind them, spikes, horns, terminators which look like that one Monty Python sketch with the people with big teeth.

Don't get me wrong, I love Chaos, I live all the models, and I love their presence on the battlefield, but I really hope with the next installment of the codex, GW / the designers will again make Chaos more than spikes and archaic metal trim, something more menacing.

Be it the pelts we see on nearly every image, be it a more warped influence like back in Rogue Trader...give us (undivided) players something that is more than spikes.

What is the opinion of my fellow Chaos brethren?

regards

tuo

xerxeshavelock
07-12-2011, 00:13
I reckon they will but in the same way as they have with the Imperials. Not by having a unifying Chaos archetype but by having Chapter or Legion archetypes. I don't see them being quite as well supported as the good guys, but there are some obvious ones to look at.

The other possibility is they will have a kit for each god (eventually).

Mit Gas
07-12-2011, 02:35
I certainly also hope to see more of that baroque armor and fused techno-organic stuff Chaos was known for a long, long, loooooong time ago. ;)

The weirder, the better - of course not every marine should be completely weird but a few more characterful features wouldn't hurt (in some cases at least)!

Take for example the old Noise marines - with their skull heads or the huge doom siren face - now that was a lot more imaginative than the new ones (which are as bad as the Plaguemarines squad to me)

Vaktathi
07-12-2011, 02:45
I definitely hope they go back, at least a bit, to the older RT/2E stuff. Lets get all that H.R. Giger feel back into some of the stuff, some more 80's hair metal/Heavy Metal (the movie :p) feel and that craziness back into the army. A lot of the newer stuff is simply loyalist stuff with different backpacks and/or spikes, which works for some things, it represents the Traitor aspect well, but not Chaos. Of the actual "Chaos-y" stuff they've released recently, it's unfortunately rather cartoony and overly reminiscient of World of Warcraft, most especially the Daemon Prince model, if even looks as though it were modelled in WoW with the irregular wing/muscle/armor curves.

Charax
07-12-2011, 04:46
Well, Rogue Trader tended to focus on smaller, more characterful warbands rather than sprawling armies - the miniature range was limited, but it didn't need to be varied, and the collection of freakish miniatures with things like pointy teeth or tentacle arms arose from the randomly-generated nature of Chaos gifts (So many tables!)

personally I quite like the old RT models, although I don't have any Chaos minis. they tend towards a more gigeresque influence than today - especially looking at things like the Dreadnought. Any Rogue Trader model would make a wonderful character in current 40K, if only they weren't so damn small

Baaltor
07-12-2011, 04:51
I certainly also hope to see more of that baroque armor and fused techno-organic stuff Chaos was known for a long, long, loooooong time ago. ;)

The weirder, the better - of course not every marine should be completely weird but a few more characterful features wouldn't hurt (in some cases at least)!

Take for example the old Noise marines - with their skull heads or the huge doom siren face - now that was a lot more imaginative than the new ones (which are as bad as the Plaguemarines squad to me)

Gotta agree, my favourite recent models are those metal raptors that look like twisted vulture/harpy-things.