PDA

View Full Version : Failed opportunity

streetsamurai
07-12-2011, 01:19
What do you think is the biggest missed opportunity by GW .

For me as to be the gnoblar.

They come out with a new army, wich was pretty original, and instead of adding a new race to support it, the gave us goblins with big nose :eyebrows:.

Would have been so much better if they had added something original instead of yet another goblin unit.

Feefait
07-12-2011, 01:32
Storm of Magic. So many places they could have gone with it but it seems to have been abandoned even faster than any other of their supplements or expansions. I would be feeling pretty silly if I had shelled out for it and then not seen any further support, but that's just me. I'm not implying anyone should regret buying it or not play it. I just think that they could have won over some of the naysayers had the kept up with it.

drukawski
07-12-2011, 02:07
GW moving their points of sale out of malls and into their own stores. It may be that there are areas with GW stores inside malls still but all the stores I am aware of locally that were in malls no longer are.

From my own observations I would guess that the historically lower prices combined with the higher quantity of through traffic in the malls probably lead to a lot of impulse purchases (hell, that's how I got started!!!). I would imagine those impulse buys probably didn't lead to many gamers but they supported the hobby and brought in a constant stream of new players. Now it seems like the player base (at least that I have seen) is trending down. Maybe its the economy, maybe its competing games, but just maybe its the lack of lots and lots of fresh new players joining every day. The fact of the matter is a great deal of this hobby revolves around the social aspects of playing/modeling with other people with a shared interest. That social aspect stagnates without a flood of new insights, ideas, opinions, and experience bases to draw on.

Then again, Maybe I am just a nostalgic old man wanting to reminisce about the good ol' days when blisters lined every square inch of the walls, tanks came in obscenely bright baby blue/grey faux marble and yellow boxes, and bits were easy to come by...

Ghostwake
07-12-2011, 03:03
Not licensing warhammer for warcraft, imagine where we would be, they still must be kicking themselves over that blunder!!!

m1acca1551
07-12-2011, 03:13
Not supporting there PC/console gaming presence would be a blunder. Warhammer online, should have been heavily pushed through white dwarf, discount memberships etc.

Storm of magic, again just vanished from the public eye... same as storm of chaos, this is a big one as they could have really done something brilliant with it, instead of the rushed and frankly p*** poor job that was the final product which was then removed...:wtf:

And Finecast... it could have been brilliant... yet due to poor quality control we got another half arsed effort that has ended up costing them sales of fine cast products and alienated and drove away a lot of clientel due to high cost for poor quality.

Whilst some of the above aren't major "Failed opportunities" they could have been handled so much better and really been something special! 2012 i hope will be a good year as GW WFB gamer :)

lbecks
07-12-2011, 03:17
Not having a marketing department along with having a retail arm that doesn't talk to their wholesale arm.

Damocles8
07-12-2011, 03:28
Not exploring movies/tv series......

Maoriboy007
07-12-2011, 04:05
Ushabti - they still havent gotten these guys to work yet.

lbecks
07-12-2011, 04:56
Not exploring movies/tv series......

I'd also add pigeon holing themselves as a niche company with a niche business model. There was an interview with Rick Priestley and John Stallard a couple years back and they were talking about when they first really started expanding after Papa Kirby bought the company from Brian Ansell. One thing they thought every kid should have was some kind of sports ball, a video game system, and a games workshop game set. Video Games expanded intelligently. They went from "who wants to play kids games sitting in front of a tv/monitor and pressing buttons all day?" to "everyone: kids, adults, families, should be playing video games."

LotusCorgi
07-12-2011, 05:26
The vampire counts "zombie dragon"...At last VC gets a sweet sexy duel natured plastic kit for a big bad gribbly! They promised us a zombie dragon and delivered a ZOMBIE WYVERN!!! If they were going to give us a wyvern it should be a wyvern entry in the army book. In the warhammer world dragons have 6 limbs and wyverns have 4. We have a zombie wyvern. Why didn't they give us a real dragon?
PS-
I am aware that a)the model is flawlessly beautiful, b)it is based on famous artwork by john blanche, and c) it is a fantasy medium the zombie dragon is existing in and therefore, logically, it is exempt to rules and forces binding other mundane creatures. I do not care don't call it a dragon if it's not a dragon.

Also boo for making that darn blood dragon shield part of the left arm. :wtf: It would have made a sweet Von Carstein model if otherwise.

I am betting the zombie dragon and terrorgeist get a re-write in the new book, but it looks like I am still stuck with the old old zombie dragon model, dubbed by white dwarf as the "flying cabbage".

Urgat
07-12-2011, 06:41
Not supporting there PC/console gaming presence would be a blunder. Warhammer online, should have been heavily pushed through white dwarf, discount memberships etc.

That. They don't seem to care at all. Mark of Chaos was released!!!!
White Dwarf editor: "Huh, I heard there's a new videogame out of those things, her... PC?"
White Dwarf Scribe Number 1: "Aye, so we have heard too."
WDE: "Ok, then write a little something about it. A little corner on a page, between the two space marine releases should do it"

Sexiest_hero
07-12-2011, 06:50
I agree with the games, but allow me to be the devils advocate.

People are leery of licensed games, maybe GW is too, they are pretty much risking a lot on an unknown entity.

SoM is being supported, we already have monstrous arcane on the way.

No to tv or movies you'd hate the bland generic crap they toss out, remember the D&D movies?

The biggest me for me is the CSM codex. Here lets take every Rule we invented for CSM and give them to SM. Oh and now every legion attacks in a "swarming horde". Even night lords and Iron warriors. Next is Khorne being the ultimate god all the time.

Wesser
07-12-2011, 10:57
No doubt that Warhammer online was released with the flaws it had.

There were many great things and good stories, but movement and combat were so damn stiff...

I rly rly wanted to play it...sniff

Also that they let DoW die. They were a great way of adding to an army without going for a new force, and it meant it was easy to expand into a DoW later on.

Obvious cash cow and artistic freedom thrown away.... but if contingents are true then it may be rectified...

jme
07-12-2011, 11:02
Storm of Magic. So many places they could have gone with it but it seems to have been abandoned even faster than any other of their supplements or expansions. I would be feeling pretty silly if I had shelled out for it and then not seen any further support, but that's just me. I'm not implying anyone should regret buying it or not play it. I just think that they could have won over some of the naysayers had the kept up with it.

It is being supported, the ogre and beastmen monsters have scrolls of binding, the blood in the badlands book has new spells and missions. Plus Warhammer Forge will be releasing a book with loads of monsters in to be used in SoM. I really think the naysayers should give it a go as its great fun to play.

the_picto
07-12-2011, 11:11
It is being supported, the ogre and beastmen monsters have scrolls of binding, the blood in the badlands book has new spells and missions. Plus Warhammer Forge will be releasing a book with loads of monsters in to be used in SoM. I really think the naysayers should give it a go as its great fun to play.

This. You may not like SoM, but to say GW isn't supporting it is 100% untrue.

TsukeFox
07-12-2011, 11:30
Not converting all models to plastic.
"finecash" makes me glad I do not have to buy muchmore.

laribold
07-12-2011, 13:01

They come out with a new army, wich was pretty original, and instead of adding a new race to support it, the gave us goblins with big nose :eyebrows:.

Would have been so much better if they had added something original instead of yet another goblin unit.

I'd wholeheartedly agree with this. It just seems so lazy... Goblins and Orcs already existed, as did Snotlings, and Hobgoblins.

Feral halflings would have been better than Gnoblars.

Jim Bowen
07-12-2011, 13:43
Not having a marketing department along with having a retail arm that doesn't talk to their wholesale arm.

The problem here is that they are in direct opposition to each other as a way to make retail and wholesale mor competative, result no one wins except the major share holders in the short term.

Jim Bowen
07-12-2011, 13:47
I agree with the games, but allow me to be the devils advocate.

People are leery of licensed games, maybe GW is too, they are pretty much risking a lot on an unknown entity.

SoM is being supported, we already have monstrous arcane on the way.

No to tv or movies you'd hate the bland generic crap they toss out, remember the D&D movies?

The biggest me for me is the CSM codex. Here lets take every Rule we invented for CSM and give them to SM. Oh and now every legion attacks in a "swarming horde". Even night lords and Iron warriors. Next is Khorne being the ultimate god all the time.
Have to agree GW on TV or films would be terrible the comic 2000ad tried it about ten years ago and nothing happened except Strontium dog nearly got turned into highway to heaven meets Xmen.

As far as Khorne goes he probably exists now fed by all the rage GW generate on line, maybe that was the plan all along ( thats a joke by the way)

Mr. Ultra
07-12-2011, 13:49
The current Chaos Space Marines Codex. It's so crappy that I'm still astonished, four years later.

Druchii Monkey
07-12-2011, 13:50
Not selling some of the models from the starter sets stand-alone.

No multi-melta upgrade kit for the Venerable Dreadnought.

No upgrade kit for Ork Flash Gitz.

No battle-book series for fantasy like they have for 40K e.g. "Fall of Damnos".

However, the biggest missed opportunity is not allowing Ogre Maneaters to be playable as mercenaries in other fantasy armies.

BigbyWolf
07-12-2011, 13:55
A lot of mixed genre discussion here, perhaps it would be suited more for GW General if it's not solely discussing WFB?

Coasty
07-12-2011, 14:18
Ushabti - they still havent gotten these guys to work yet.

Really? Mine work; they're doing the dishes as we speak. Maybe they got the spells scraped off in the box?

loveless
07-12-2011, 14:50
This whole "new releases get mailed out to buyers on the day of release" thing has soured me a bit. Sure, you can pick it up in-store, but that doesn't help in the US where I'd pretty much have to hop on a plane to get to a GW store.

Luckily my LGS has gotten much better about preorders (they never used to get anything in on time) so I can typically avoid the GW site unless I'm pointing out what I want to order.

Finecast is also a big miss. Had they waited until the kinks were worked out, I doubt we'd have nearly as much complaining. Here we are, though, months later and still having the same problems.

Lack of advertising strikes me as a miss as well. Maybe they do advertise in other countries, but I've seen nothing for GW Stateside save for the occasional in-store display or the logo before video games. It seems like they could get a lot more people into their game if they showed off a bit on other websites, magazines, or what-have-you.

Senbei
07-12-2011, 15:05
Finecast. They should be offering us the choice of buying a mini in FC or metal. There are quite a few new things that they're selling that I would want to buy, in metal. It would also allow them to work out the FC kinks without all the winging.

Napalm
07-12-2011, 15:09
The current Chaos Space Marines Codex. It's so crappy that I'm still astonished, four years later.

Oh, so true.

Coasty
07-12-2011, 15:25
Finecast. They should be offering us the choice of buying a mini in FC or metal. There are quite a few new things that they're selling that I would want to buy, in metal. It would also allow them to work out the FC kinks without all the winging.

The whole point of finecast was to get rid of the metal.

lbecks
07-12-2011, 15:29
The problem here is that they are in direct opposition to each other as a way to make retail and wholesale mor competative, result no one wins except the major share holders in the short term.

It's meant to make retail more competitive or rather retail as the main option since GW wants to be the only seller of its product in town. They set the wholesale price at 45% off and then get pissed when independent stockists start selling more than them because they lower their margin for profit by offering discounts instead of selling at the full MSRP. GW really missed taking advantage of the internet boom + LOTR in the early 2000's to really push their product in the US because they wanted everything to be through their retail only. The retail store model isn't going to work in the US. We're too spread out.

ColShaw
07-12-2011, 15:38
It's meant to make retail more competitive or rather retail as the main option since GW wants to be the only seller of its product in town. They set the wholesale price at 45% off and then get pissed when independent stockists start selling more than them because they lower their margin for profit by offering discounts instead of selling at the full MSRP. GW really missed taking advantage of the internet boom + LOTR in the early 2000's to really push their product in the US because they wanted everything to be through their retail only. The retail store model isn't going to work in the US. We're too spread out.

Very true. I live in Minnesota; there isn't a single GW store in the STATE. I think the closest one to me is in Gurney Mills, southeast Wisconsin (and about 300 miles away).

Retail-only doesn't cut it for me, or for many like me.

Voss
07-12-2011, 16:52

Weird, I regard gnoblars as one of the best things they ever did. They simple ooze character (as well as various sticky fluids).

I'll agree with this, but not for those reasons (and a choice of mediums wouldn't be worthwhile, just add expense). But as there is already a finecast thread exploring its failures, there really isn't any reason to go into here.

AlphariusOmegon20
07-12-2011, 17:14
Very true. I live in Minnesota; there isn't a single GW store in the STATE. I think the closest one to me is in Gurney Mills, southeast Wisconsin (and about 300 miles away).

LOL Gurnee Mills is in IL, dude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurnee_Mills

ColShaw
07-12-2011, 17:34
LOL Gurnee Mills is in IL, dude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurnee_Mills

Fair enough... it's been many years since I was there, and I was visiting my girlfriend (who lived in Wisconsin) so I got confused... shame on me. :o

Scaryscarymushroom
07-12-2011, 18:14
...For me as to be the gnoblar.

:( That is my sad face. Were I to purchase a goblin-type model, it would be gnoblars. I prefer them vastly to the O&G goblins.

...I live in Minnesota; there isn't a single GW store in the STATE. I think the closest one to me is in Gurney Mills, southeast Wisconsin (and about 300 miles away).

I feel your pain. The closest GW store to me is (I think) in Denver, Colorado. About 700 miles away. Failing that, there's one the opposite direction, 770 miles away in Los Angeles.

Yay for the internet. :shifty:

Commissar_Kahl
07-12-2011, 18:40
Not using the succeas of video games to advertise and promote their miniature game. You wohld think there would be some sort of crossover advertising.

kaimarion
07-12-2011, 18:56

Why doesn't this site have a like button :cries:?

No next day delivery on wholesale orders which is just p*** poor.
Also not offering special DLC(armour/avatar item ect) for spending x amount in store or online when Space Marine was released.

Senbei
07-12-2011, 18:56
The whole point of finecast was to get rid of the metal.

Yeah, but they should have stealthed it in. As it is, won't touch it with a barge-pole. The stuff still has too many problems and Just isn't my cup of tea.

If I had the option of getting some of their FC releases without the faffing about, returning blisters, filling pinholes, having to insert brass rod to keep weapons straight, etc, the GW would still be getting some of my money. I -might- even buy some of the FC occasionally, just to see if they've got the kinks out of the system.

theunwantedbeing
07-12-2011, 19:06

Gnoblars are just a subset of the goblin race it's nothing unusual to just make them just goblins with big noses.

For me the biggest failing of GW has to be their aweful online FAQ service.
Terribly sloppy rules when they do bother with one, they fail to answer most of the things that need answering and then they often end out altering their FAQs to re-answer things they've already answered.

Myrmidon616
07-12-2011, 19:21
That. They don't seem to care at all. Mark of Chaos was released!!!!
White Dwarf editor: "Huh, I heard there's a new videogame out of those things, her... PC?"
White Dwarf Scribe Number 1: "Aye, so we have heard too."
WDE: "Ok, then write a little something about it. A little corner on a page, between the two space marine releases should do it"

To be fair to them, I do recall them doing a double page spread on Mark of Chaos. (Got my hopes up that you would be able to play as VC :mad:)

The bearded one
07-12-2011, 19:43
Didn't they do an article about warhammer online, with that big 2-page spread piece of WAR artwork of the dwarfs at karak-eight-peaks fighting greenskins?

Even so, it's rather odd to see GW isn't exploiting the videogames, offering discounts or stuff for the game or whatnot, or selling them in their stores.

ashc
07-12-2011, 19:49
In general GW completely miss the boat with cross-medium marketing and the use of technology within their company.

Shamutanti
07-12-2011, 21:05
Not using the succeas of video games to advertise and promote their miniature game. You wohld think there would be some sort of crossover advertising.

Has been tried once before and unfortunately it fell on its face.

The bearded one
07-12-2011, 21:22
Has been tried once before and unfortunately it fell on its face.

When?*

How did it fall on it's face?*

* actual curiosity

Shamutanti
07-12-2011, 23:31
When?*

How did it fall on it's face?*

* actual curiosity

Warhammer Online; the launch - the first bunch of copies (I believe it was only the single copies and not the premium ones, or whatever they were called. Collectors?) that went out all had an invitation to come to GW stores where they could build and paint theyre very own avatar/model from the game and be shown the table top version.

Stores (at least larger manned ones) in prep. were told to rip open boxes of the different 'classes' and be ready to have them as intro. models for incoming attendees. This didn't leave many managers happy though because it meant having to K.L. stock they might of sold and it was a bit of a last minute message kicked around.

The actually number of people who turned up from this 'invitational spam' inside the game packaging was countable on two hands.

It was a flop, not only because of the paper wasted, but the time, money and energy put in just didn't result any return.

Potentially more thought could of gone into it but it was attempted to some degree and just didn't have any impact.

streetsamurai
07-12-2011, 23:42
:( That is my sad face. Were I to purchase a goblin-type model, it would be gnoblars. I prefer them vastly to the O&G goblins.

This I agree with you, no question that the gnoblar kit is nice, and way better than the night goblins and the old crap that they try to pass as common goblins. Still, they're a lousy/boring concept, wich deprived us of getting a new exotic race like gnoll or troglodyte

Liber
08-12-2011, 00:13

Lol. That's pretty funny man.

Commissar_Kahl
08-12-2011, 01:02
Didn't they do an article about warhammer online, with that big 2-page spread piece of WAR artwork of the dwarfs at karak-eight-peaks fighting greenskins?

Even so, it's rather odd to see GW isn't exploiting the videogames, offering discounts or stuff for the game or whatnot, or selling them in their stores.

I meant advertise the miniature games in the PC/video games. have a commercial as you load your game, include a limited edition mini in the game box or just slip a little flier in the box. I would have elaborated further above but I was posting on my phone at work which turns out is a collosal pain.

Demonborger
08-12-2011, 05:34
collectors box had a goblin sitting on an orc mini

Coach
08-12-2011, 05:54
Pushing "Specialist Games" to the back of the cupboard. Most of them are better games and have much better rules than the main systems. They are also cheaper and a gateway into the hobby, they've basically ignored this group of customers and let loads of competitors spring up to cater for them.

streetsamurai
08-12-2011, 09:44
Pushing "Specialist Games" to the back of the cupboard. Most of them are better games and have much better rules than the main systems. They are also cheaper and a gateway into the hobby, they've basically ignored this group of customers and let loads of competitors spring up to cater for them.

great pint

Specialist games are way better than the core games. should at least be supported with the new materials that get released

75hastings69
08-12-2011, 10:13
......Storm of magic, again just vanished from the public eye... same as storm of chaos, this is a big one as they could have really done something brilliant with it, instead of the rushed and frankly p*** poor job that was the final product which was then removed...:wtf:

And Finecast... it could have been brilliant... yet due to poor quality control we got another half arsed effort that has ended up costing them sales of fine cast products and alienated and drove away a lot of clientel due to high cost for poor quality.

my sentiments too. Storm of Magic just smacked of desperation sales to me.... "lets sell daemons to high elf players" etc.

Finecast for exactly the reasons you've made. I would have loved FC if it were done to the same quality as FW resins.

Napalm
08-12-2011, 10:25

As a fierce player of Netepic & BFG (and sometimes bloodbowl) I could not agree more.
New prices of the specialist range are totally crazy (17.5 for ONE metal squiggoth? Not the mega, the normal), so crazy that even forgeworld epic stuff (well the few things that they're still selling) are cheaper.

But you point it out right: this is cheaper. You can play more and spend less money, so they drop it. They prefer super heavy company in 28mm, you must spend a lot more :D
And if you compare bloodbowl to other games, that's the cheapest.

Zinge
08-12-2011, 10:54
Regarding advertising in computer games - Surely every game released (at least initailly before they become budget versions) should come with a free mini simlar to AOBR white dwarf freebie. single model plus a paper advert on where to get more info.

Yeah and finecast - For all previously listed reasons - I almost believe that its doing more long term damage than good.

Col. Frost
08-12-2011, 11:09
Regarding advertising in computer games - Surely every game released (at least initailly before they become budget versions) should come with a free mini simlar to AOBR white dwarf freebie. single model plus a paper advert on where to get more info.

Think the older ones did (i.e. Shadow of the Horned Rat etc) have a flyer. The newer ones, im not sure.

The quality of the games released should of been looked at, The original 'tie in' games like SotHR, Space Hulk etc were great, so too was the Dawn of War series, the major let down's which forever tainted WHFB has to be the god awful Mark of Chaos with its inexplicable loading times (seriously, even on a top spec PC now, 5 years later, its like watching paint dry whilst its loading (btw, watching paint drying is more enjoyable)), and WAR, so much promise but sadly never really pushed as well as it should of been.

PC & Console games should be fulfilling the role that the boardgames of twenty-five years ago did, an entry level peek into the worlds of Warhammer.

There is so many ways GW could gain the attention of potential new recruits for minimal outlay, but they seem to be stuck in a 'We are GW, everyone knows about us' mind set.

TV advertising is a no-no, wouldn't work and a table-top game could never be portrayed well in that medium, The interweb is the way forward, as is flyers in it's PC / Console releases and a decent pricing structure for its products that is in line with the rest of the market.

Gertjan
08-12-2011, 13:21
It was a flop, not only because of the paper wasted, but the time, money and energy put in just didn't result any return.

Potentially more thought could of gone into it but it was attempted to some degree and just didn't have any impact.

But how they did it sounds as an afterthought, so basically they spent no effort whatsoever and expect roi. With things like these you have to go big or go home so to say. Trying something to some degree isn't even nearly halfway decent enough.

But then again, WAR had more problems, the most important one is that they competed directly with setting etc with Blizzard, that is a fight that's very difficult to win. All the more ironic since they turned Blizzard down all those years ago, maybe that is the biggest missed opportunity, turning those silly computer geeks down who would go ahead anyways and simply call it warcraft rather than warhammer :D

jack da greenskin
08-12-2011, 15:09
All the more ironic since they turned Blizzard down all those years ago, maybe that is the biggest missed opportunity,

"Computer games? LOL, are you mad in the head? The *REAL* money is to be made with toy soldiers."

And the rest, as they say, is history.

This, IMO, is GW's biggest missed opportunity, both for financial success, getting their name out there, and making wargaming more mainstream. (well, as mainstream as a sweaty guy playing on a pc in his mums basement can be). (For every fat guy in his basement, there is atleast one, possibly a lot more, impressionable 10 year olds on warcraft, who'd throw money at gw for models of their characters.)

Just saying.

loveless
08-12-2011, 17:46
collectors box had a goblin sitting on an orc mini

And a lovely mini it is!

However, what I got to hear from all of the non-Warhammer players who picked up a Collector's Edition was:

"What? It's not painted? What the hell? That's stupid!"

I can count the number of WH/40K video game players I've met who have had a desire to try the tabletop game on one hand. I can't really say I blame them.

Voss
08-12-2011, 18:36
PC & Console games should be fulfilling the role that the boardgames of twenty-five years ago did, an entry level peek into the worlds of Warhammer.

Thats pretty much what they do, to be honest. The problem is except for the crowd that is already aware of table top games, there just isn't much of a draw.

The RTS & shooter crowd wants things fast, loud and with multiple explosions. Assembling and painting models for week and then ~2 hours of moving models & rolling dice on a static tabletop isn't going to have much appeal for the average console gamer.

The best GW can really hope for is simply to make money off selling the IP for other uses, and count any crossovers to the tabletop as simply a bonus

blongbling
08-12-2011, 18:41
in no particular order:

1. not getting an MMORPG out first and spunking 6m up the wall in the process
2. not putting out a part works based on WFB and/or 40K after the BGiME success
3. not setting up a board games department and doing what FFG is now doing
4. not capitalising on Warhammer Historical and getting plastic toy soldiers into that market
5.keeping on too many senior "old boys" who protect their own jobs but by extension are responsible for the issues that GW faced over the last five years

that is all, everything else I can live with :)

Harwammer
09-12-2011, 12:07
There are a few things people have mentioned as missed opportunities but are things GW have actually (attempted) to do. I'm going to add a suggestion on this theme.

Branded clothing.

Specifically I want a T-Shirt with a big Mark of Khorne logo on so I can wear it to parody Fenchurch fans (A typical Fenchurch Tshirt attached).

The other thing I'd like is a shirt/top set up to look like power/terminator armour (that is with the 40k eagle on the chest and chapter/squad markings on the shoulders). Obviously the shirt would be coloured relevant to the chapter it is supposed to represent.

EldarWonderland
09-12-2011, 12:47
Dreadfleet at 70 - two people at our club have it, played it twice and it's never been seen again.

If it had have been 35 and with optional models to buy later then I would have bought it.

I feel so sorry (not) for all those chancers who bought several hoping to cash in on the "rush to buy as stocks run out" :)

WD are desperately promoting it, my LGS have plenty in the window at 63 - nah!

Storm of Magic, club played it once, subsequently now and again we allow a SOM monster into a normal 2.5k game just for amusement.

Why is BloodBowl so damned expensive? I'd love to do that as well, play it and if it's good BUY more teams..that's right GW , BUY with money :)

They are quite clueless on pricing and drawing people into the hobby especially at this financially problematic time.

frozenwastes
09-12-2011, 18:33
Why is BloodBowl so damned expensive? I'd love to do that as well, play it and if it's good BUY more teams..that's right GW , BUY with money :)

You don't need GW for Bloodbowl anymore. There are tons of other fantasy football miniatures being made right now. You can still get the rules for free online and making a pitch isn't actually that hard of a terrain project.

http://www.blackscorpionminiatures.com/index.php?cPath=31&osCsid=caddc7d7c64f5ef4c19cad231c941668

http://www.talkfantasyfootball.org/

http://www.impactminiatures.com/

scarletsquig
09-12-2011, 18:46
Hindsight is too easy.

If we were in charge, we would have missed a lot of opportunities and later regretted them, in the same way that we do throughout the course of our normal lives.

BigRob
11-12-2011, 09:03
For me, its always been the lack of a decent saturday morning cartoon series to push thier game to younger customers. Now as people have said there have been some dire movie crossover/made for tv movies in the past and they have all made us cry, be it low budget (D&D2) or high budget (D&D1, Super Mario Bros etc).

BUT

A Decent cartoon series could be pulled off, they have enough quality comic book stories to fill it, imagine Bloodquest, Kal Jericho, Titan, maybe even Demonifuge? Obviously Bloodquest would be their first choice (lolz buyz spazemarinz) but you can see where I am going. My only insistance would be they must go down the western animation route, nothing would kill it quicker than having mecha anime marines and emo anime eldars.

GomezAddams
11-12-2011, 11:54
Sisters of battle - never has a great idea been so wasted. They started as a big metal release right on the cusp of GW starting to switch to plastic. If the plastic sisters really are out next year then I fear for my bank account I really do.

Other then that? Warhammer: Horus Heresy

The amount of people I know who just read the Horus Heresy books these days is untrue. Even people who've moved completely onto new systems still pick up each of the heresy books. Now all the armour sets are done by forgeworld which is kind of okay, but the tanks are far too pricey. A campaign book trilogy (with a world wide campaign perhaps) would do seriously well.

deadly claris
12-12-2011, 13:57
Sisters of battle - never has a great idea been so wasted. They started as a big metal release right on the cusp of GW starting to switch to plastic. If the plastic sisters really are out next year then I fear for my bank account I really do.

THIS
Im so sad GW allways ignors the sisters.
The DW dex felt like a kick in the nuts ..really hope the will get plastics and a real book! will buy a 5000p army if the do it

Brandir
12-12-2011, 22:10
Not licensing warhammer for warcraft, imagine where we would be, they still must be kicking themselves over that blunder!!!

With hindsight this is the biggest single failed opportunity by GW and it's senior leaders.

According to the latest annual report, WOW brings in approx $120 million a month for Blizzard - $1.4 billion a year (approx 900 million).

GW's last annual report was 123 million 2010 - 2011.

I wonder what royalty rate GW would have received? At 10% that would add 90 million of virtual pure profit!

I am surprised that GW haven't promoted WAR in every WD since it's release and online. A quick look online at GW's site and I can't find any promotion of WAR. Very surprising! They should have learned from the WOW mistake.

WAR has approx 80,000 paying subscribers .....

But from a City point of view GW are doing very well, share price roughly follows the FTSE 100 and they pay regular dividends.

From a purely personal point of view the biggest missed opportunity is the lack of an army book and minis for The Moot ... one can never have enough Hobbits in a game!

Sgt John Keel
12-12-2011, 22:20
From a purely personal point of view the biggest missed opportunity is the lack of an army book and minis for The Moot ... one can never have enough Hobbits in a game!

You confuse me with your talk of hobbits, I was going to insist that GW did a Scouring of the Shire sourcebook, but you're talking Warhammer halflings of course.

I'm not so sure licencing the game to Blizzard would have been in the best interest of the background though, but who knows.

loveless
12-12-2011, 22:40

WHFB is currently at the critical level of hobbits. Any more will ruin the fun of the game.

iamfanboy
13-12-2011, 00:50
Well, everyone knows that once you have a few in an army, it's hard to stop taking them in; they're very hobbit-forming.

What? You didn't expect a pun from that? Why, I hobbitually make them! I'm both smaug and aragorn about my mastery of LotR puns, though my friends do threaten to mordor me once I get started...

On-topic, by far the biggest missed opportunity I can think of is failing to understand the value of the Specialist Games. By reducing them to mere monetary evaluation they failed to see how having variety 'in-store' decreased defection to other systems created by competitor companies.

I can't even think of anything bigger than this. That's the big one to me, the chief sin of their 'new' direction of thinking.

FabricatorGeneralMike
13-12-2011, 01:02
Well, everyone knows that once you have a few in an army, it's hard to stop taking them in; they're very hobbit-forming.

What? You didn't expect a pun from that? Why, I hobbitually make them! I'm both smaug and aragorn about my mastery of LotR puns, though my friends do threaten to mordor me once I get started...

On-topic, by far the biggest missed opportunity I can think of is failing to understand the value of the Specialist Games. By reducing them to mere monetary evaluation they failed to see how having variety 'in-store' decreased defection to other systems created by competitor companies.

I can't even think of anything bigger than this. That's the big one to me, the chief sin of their 'new' direction of thinking.

Ding, you win +1 Interwebz for that one.

I totally agree with you. It's VERY easy to get burned out on the 'big 2' and those little gems kept you putting money into GW's coffers. Like you said they kept you in house and away from 'Those other companys thats don't exist in GW's view of the world'

PS love the LorT puns keep'em comming what nights do you preform? :angel:

iamfanboy
13-12-2011, 01:57
Well, I have been known to give lectures on the ent-ymology of tolkien puns, though I try not to dwarf anyone else's talent, and I do try to keep them tasteful - i wouldn't want them to urukhai all over my shoes.

lbecks
13-12-2011, 08:30
I think even if GW did release a game with Blizzard they never would have taken advantage of the video game media like Blizzard eventually did with WC. Video Games will always be a side show for GW. Blizzard making WC their own really got to make it the main attraction and advance the stories and setting.

eron12
13-12-2011, 17:31
I think even if GW did release a game with Blizzard they never would have taken advantage of the video game media like Blizzard eventually did with WC. Video Games will always be a side show for GW. Blizzard making WC their own really got to make it the main attraction and advance the stories and setting.

I think just profiting from the royalties of Blizard games would count as taking advantage of the media. Blizzard is ten times the size of GW. Imagine if they paid GW for every copy of a game or monthly use purchased. Not to mention that Blizzard games are profffessonal sports in some countries.

Though on the other hand I think Blizzard has done a better job with their settings, so perhaps using GW settings the company would never have become what it is today.

Brandir
13-12-2011, 17:44
There us a very convincing argument that WOW set in the Warhammer world as originally envisaged would not have been as successful as the present WOW.

lbecks
13-12-2011, 18:01
I think just profiting from the royalties of Blizard games would count as taking advantage of the media. Blizzard is ten times the size of GW. Imagine if they paid GW for every copy of a game or monthly use purchased. Not to mention that Blizzard games are profffessonal sports in some countries.

Though on the other hand I think Blizzard has done a better job with their settings, so perhaps using GW settings the company would never have become what it is today.

The Blizzard deal that fell through was just for Warcraft 1, which was a good game but not the reason Blizzard is ten times the size of GW. Blizzard showed a lot of intelligence to cater to their fans with their subsequent games. Starcraft's popularity as a multiplayer game I don't think could have worked as a 40k product. Starcraft 1 and 2 are very tight multiplayer games. There's only 3 races and purposely so. It's very balanced. And because of that it really flourished in the MP department and Blizzard now advertises it as an e-sports game. I only played SC casually and I even know who Boxer is.

ashc
13-12-2011, 18:51
I think part of WoW's appeal and strength is that it is NOT warhammer.

Orrinocco
14-12-2011, 15:12
I think their biggest mistake is not having a rotation of stock to get me into their store - particularly if they did blisters of normally OOP stuff, just taking stock out of their warehouses and moving it between stores occasionally.

If I know they only have the same boxes in stock everywhere, and that I can get those boxes online, I have no reason to wait until their shop opens at 10 to go and browse (don't start me on the never open when convenient!).
If I knew I could go in and browse to see what different stuff may be available, I'd go in and maybe pick up a few things.
I guess goes back to my childhood and browsing toy shops to try and find that Star Wars or GI Joe character that I didn't have!

Gertjan
14-12-2011, 15:46

Well, maybe for the people who play warhammer but for all the other warcraft players that's not an issue I would think (and let's be honest, there are quite a few more wow players than there are warhammer players). Thing is though, because Blizzard used their own setting they could do with it what they pleased lore-wise which is part of the succes they have with the whole setting and it's games. If they would have used the GW liscence it might have resulted in GW being forced to advance their storyline, something they are positively incapable of, together with Blizzard to keep their games alive. That or Blizzard would have given up on GW's Ip and start develping their own due to GW's possible reluctance to advance the storyline regardless of what was needed. There are quite a few if's and when's involved in them using the GW Ip, nonetheless it would have resulted in at leass one or two games which were infinetely better than any GW endorsed pc game developed later on. That alone would have been worth it in hindsight, as it would have enlarged the setting's familiarity hugely. But again, it's a whole bunch of if's, maybe the games would have bombed because of GW's involvement as GW's liscencing of it's IP is a trackrecord of hit and misses, mostly misses though.

Maybe all in all their amateuristic aproach on how to handle their own IP is the biggest missed chance, regardless of whom they liscence it to, the whole principle on it's own, Blizzard or no, is not something they excell at. And regardless of missed opportunites with certain game lines such as sisters etc. something as liscencing is a far, far, far bigger importance for a company than releasing certain miniatures or not. I truly believe that the big missed opportunities are found outside of the direct "main games" whfb and wh40k but in the broader decisions company wide they make.

And the second biggest miss is getting rid of the specialist games as fully supported games, as mentioned above it forces a lot of people to look for competitors and thus allows them to discover other game manufacturer's/systems, which is a bad thing as they get become more aware, with specialist games you could have kept them aboard and ignorant of the competition, which is always an easier fight than having to take them head on.

Sai-Lauren
14-12-2011, 16:49

Gw have licensed video games - Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen, Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels, Final Liberation, Fire Warrior, Dawn Of War...

But don't forget, Blizzard basically ripped off 40k for Starcraft, so I think it's very unlikely GW would have wanted anything to do with them, which is likely why SotHR and DO in particular were released through EA.

Ah yes, Warhammer Online, not only was it basically a late "me-too" offering when World of Warcrack started taking off, it only fails to be classifed as a farce simply because no one's trousers fell down. ;)

There are a few things people have mentioned as missed opportunities but are things GW have actually (attempted) to do. I'm going to add a suggestion on this theme.

Branded clothing.

Specifically I want a T-Shirt with a big Mark of Khorne logo on so I can wear it to parody Fenchurch fans (A typical Fenchurch Tshirt attached).

The other thing I'd like is a shirt/top set up to look like power/terminator armour (that is with the 40k eagle on the chest and chapter/squad markings on the shoulders). Obviously the shirt would be coloured relevant to the chapter it is supposed to represent.

Don't think there was a Khorne one, but GW did do T-shirts through Black Library - I've a Tanith one and the AM-themed version of Da Vinci's Vitruvian man. There was also warp artefacts.

Presumably they weren't that popular in terms of sales, as they all disappeared some years ago (about 2004/5 IIRC).

Personally speaking, there's a lot of IP that's just being sat on and not used - some of the art that's been done over the years would make fantastic prints to get framed and hung on the wall (even if not released in the occasional coffee-table art books, and could well appeal outside the WFB/40k fanbase), or you could have Horus Heresy themed chess sets, Emperor's tarot themed playing cards, maybe even returning to the Warp Artefacts line with everything from Guard dogtags through to Terminator Honour badges and even a small set of Farseer runes in a display case.

ashc
14-12-2011, 17:33
Were they not popular enough first time round for them to have continued? Just wondering as it was canned.

Harwammer
14-12-2011, 17:51
@Sai-Lauren: I went to WW on Sunday and Bugmans was selling vintage GW T-shirts. Sadly they were all promo artwork (like Gorka Morka) rather than iconography (like the old Space Wolves one)!

They were only 8 but I forgot to buy one before I left. D'oh!

eron12
14-12-2011, 18:57

I'm not really sure what you are trying to say with this. Do you really think that more than a small fraction of WoW have even heard of Warhammer?

But don't forget, Blizzard basically ripped off 40k for Starcraft,

I don't think you want to open the can of worms regarding where various companies took insperation for their games. 40k and Starcraft likely took from similar sources, but saying Starcraft is a 40k ripoff is quite a claim.

ashc
14-12-2011, 21:01
I'm not really sure what you are trying to say with this. Do you really think that more than a small fraction of WoW have even heard of Warhammer?.

No, my point was that WoW is not constrained in any way as it would be by the likes of GW.

loveless
14-12-2011, 23:05
No, my point was that WoW is not constrained in any way as it would be by the likes of GW.

That makes sense - they're not working within the confines of established background written by someone else (I assume Blizzard maintains all rights to their WC and SC characters and races?), so they're free to do as they see fit.

Then again, W:AR was (is?) kinda all over the damn place with fitting in and out of established Warhammer background. Dawn of War isn't perfectly canonical either, so there must be some wiggle room GW is willing to grant.

We'll have to see how the 40K MMO goes...honestly, I'm not expecting much from it, but at least they're trying.