PDA

View Full Version : Would this app even work at a GW?

jason_sation
07-12-2011, 02:41
http://techcrunch.com/2011/12/06/amazon-jabs-at-brick-and-mortar-retailers-with-price-check-promotion/

I'm not saying it is any better than buying online from a discount retailer, but I have seen GW products for sale on amazon, just wondering if Amazon is even allowed to sell the product at a lower price than the store prices.

lbecks
07-12-2011, 04:58
I guess GW would have to be included in the location services thing.

Earl_UK
07-12-2011, 16:44
Very interesting, is this worldwide or just for the US?

blongbling
08-12-2011, 14:06
http://techcrunch.com/2011/12/06/amazon-jabs-at-brick-and-mortar-retailers-with-price-check-promotion/

I'm not saying it is any better than buying online from a discount retailer, but I have seen GW products for sale on amazon, just wondering if Amazon is even allowed to sell the product at a lower price than the store prices.

you cannot force anyone to stick to RRPs

linuvian
16-12-2011, 02:19
I'm curious how Amazon is allowed to sell the product to begin with, but normal webstores (thewarstore, etc) can't show the pic or put them in their 'online cart' and force people to order by phone.

Spectrar Ghost
16-12-2011, 02:35
I can only imagine someone thought the income from allowing Amazon a trade account was worth the risk. Certainly Amazon has the pull to simply refuse to stock GW product on GW's terms.

2ndCompanyVeterans
16-12-2011, 09:35
Problem or bonus with Amazon is that say you sold something second hand on there and provided a picture if anyone else sold somethign with the same name then it would flag up the picture from their sales archive it's very clever.

ehlijen
17-12-2011, 09:57
I can only imagine someone thought the income from allowing Amazon a trade account was worth the risk. Certainly Amazon has the pull to simply refuse to stock GW product on GW's terms.

Any store, online or not, has the pull to simply not stock GW. And I don't think GW truly cares too much, as they'd rather have their stuff sell through their own online store anyway.

Spectrar Ghost
17-12-2011, 10:20
But not many offer the potential volume to make it a bad decision for GW to let it happen. Amazon has the exposure and the customer base to dictate terms if they wish, is my point.

ehlijen
17-12-2011, 11:24
But not many offer the potential volume to make it a bad decision for GW to let it happen. Amazon has the exposure and the customer base to dictate terms if they wish, is my point.

And GW has the alternate sales points to say no if Amazon pushes too hard.

Spectrar Ghost
17-12-2011, 11:28
Probably true. But that's the fun of negotiation, isn't it?

ehlijen
18-12-2011, 02:06
That's why I'd have thought there would be no negotiation. GW doesn't need amazon, nor anyone, really. That's the whole point of their own store chain.

And frankly, with offers like the OP asked about, I don't think Amazon would be popular with GW for long.

chamelion 6
18-12-2011, 04:08
Be careful when comparing GW prices on Amazon. The stuff is usually more expensive than on the GW site. Even though an Item might be, say $10 less than the GW price, you almost always find the shipping more than makes that up. I've seen shipping as high as $20 for some items. Usually its enough for the item to cost about $5 more than if you bought it direct.

I get a lot of stuff from Amazon, but other than BL, nothing from GW.

paddyalexander
18-12-2011, 07:31
That's why I'd have thought there would be no negotiation. GW doesn't need amazon, nor anyone, really. That's the whole point of their own store chain.

In gwPLCs' last financial statement independent retailers made up ~40% of their sales. While it will be interesting to see the effect the trade embargo has had on that figure I dought that any company could just drop the source of nearly half their product sales.