PDA

View Full Version : Can Leman Russ Exterminator count as Predator?

Ironclad82
07-12-2011, 03:36
Dude plops a Leman Russ Exterminator (single AC barrel though) with heavy bolter side sponsons and a missing hull weapon painted in Space Wolf colors with a Marine in the turret hatch on the table amid the rest of his Army and explains that since the tank is no longer in the Codex it will be played as a Predator with Autocannons and heavy bolter side sponsons.

I think that's a sweet adaptation for being hosed out of a fluffy vehicle. No Long Fang Spam, even better.

What say you if you were across from this as a tournament purist?

carldooley
07-12-2011, 03:58
I'd be fine with it.

althathir
07-12-2011, 04:14
Dude plops a Leman Russ Exterminator (single AC barrel though) with heavy bolter side sponsons and a missing hull weapon painted in Space Wolf colors with a Marine in the turret hatch on the table amid the rest of his Army and explains that since the tank is no longer in the Codex it will be played as a Predator with Autocannons and heavy bolter side sponsons.

I think that's a sweet adaptation for being hosed out of a fluffy vehicle. No Long Fang Spam, even better.

What say you if you were across from this as a tournament purist?

Considering wolves can take them why not, plus its always bugged me that preds and rhinos look so similiar and have different av values.

Battleworthy Arts
07-12-2011, 04:43
Yuck.

I would rather let him field the LR.

Clang
07-12-2011, 05:56
Both vehicles are very close to the same dimensions, and there's really no confusion over what it counts-as, so I'd have no problem with it.

agurus1
07-12-2011, 05:59
let it pass, he's giving you more area to target and draw LOS to.

Rick Blaine
07-12-2011, 07:00
Of course it should be allowed. It's the least we can do after GW invalidated a model he owns.

Gorbad Ironclaw
07-12-2011, 07:08
I think that's a sweet adaptation for being hosed out of a fluffy vehicle.

I'd let him play it just fine, but there was nothing fluffy about the inclusion of that particular variant in the codex at all (Or any of that line of tanks).

NixonAsADaemonPrince
07-12-2011, 07:25
I'd let him play it just fine, but there was nothing fluffy about the inclusion of that particular variant in the codex at all (Or any of that line of tanks).

Well as Leman Russes used to be allowed in the Space Wolf Codex, I'd say it was pretty fluffy.

Personally, it sounds good to me.

Cohinor
07-12-2011, 07:54
I'd be fine playing him. It's afterall a fluffy usage of it, and a pitty GW ruled the vehicle out of the codex.

cheers
Cohinor

Askari
07-12-2011, 13:07
Yeah, fine. I have a walking Basilisk and a Knight that count as a Defiler, and a tank destroyer Leman Russ conversion as a Vindicator. I'd love if more people did more than just 'stock model' everything, breaks up the monotony.

Longstrider
07-12-2011, 13:58
Yup. Why should the player be penalised if GW takes away a model option?

The Marshel
07-12-2011, 14:13
really great idea actually, surprised this is the first i've heard of it

Freakiq
07-12-2011, 14:37
I'd be fine with it.

If I had bought one during 3rd edition I'd do the same thing myself.

Nurgling Chieftain
07-12-2011, 14:40
"The coke can is the carnifex!" :evilgrin:

Ambience 327
07-12-2011, 15:33
He is definitely not modelling for advantage (unless that advantage is for his wallet), and it is a unit that was invalidated by the newer Codex (I liken it to using Pariahs as Lychguard or Triarch Praetorians). I would have absolutely no problem allowing him to play it as a Predator - especially as he has gone to the trouble of converting it a bit to make it better represent its intended rules.

ColShaw
07-12-2011, 15:44
I think it's a fine idea, and like Ambience 327, if the player went to the trouble of converting it to WYSIWYG armament, more power to him. I'd absolutely play against it.

Gorbad Ironclaw
07-12-2011, 16:40
Well as Leman Russes used to be allowed in the Space Wolf Codex, I'd say it was pretty fluffy.

The Leman Russ Exterminator was allowed (as the only variant) in a single codex for no apparent reason. Yes, it share the name of there primarch but wasn't it named at the time when he was an Imperial Guard commander? And in any case, that wasn't any good reason why they should have access to them, especially only one random variant. So no, it's not really any more fluffy than using any random vehicle as a count-as.

LonelyPath
07-12-2011, 16:43
I'd love to see SW players using Leman Russ tanks in this way. Great idea all round!

Ace Rimmer
07-12-2011, 17:35
Despite it being a random fluff inclusion, I'm always happy to see people modelling/representing things in new and different ways. as long as both players know what it is and it's relatively wysiwyg, I'm all for it!

totgeboren
07-12-2011, 18:00

Personally, it sounds good to me.

Noise Marines are allowed in World Eater warbands. Doesn't mean it's fluffy.

The inclusion of the Leman Russ in the SW codex was incredibly unfluffy, considering a Space Marine can't even enter a Leman Russ with his armour on in the first place.

But sure, they could have serfs driving them or something.

I would have no problem playing against it, but personally I would never place a marine in the hatch. A scout model maybe, to represent serfs. But that's just me.

fearthepenguin
07-12-2011, 22:13
cant see why not. considering its named after there primarch if any chapter was gunna commandeer a leman russ tank it would be the wolves. Anything out the ordinary is always more interesting anyway

Okuto
07-12-2011, 22:51
Space puppy player trying to use something that was in old book....fine by me as I understand how it is.....

Longstrider
08-12-2011, 13:12
I do agree it didn't make any sense as an inclusion in the previous book, but it was there, and being there one ought to be able to use it.

But yeah, having one variant of at the time three models arbitrarily appear was silly. Particularly since the Exterminator and the Predator Destructor already had the same role. It may be that GW then didn't want to give Space Wolves access to battle cannons and demolisher cannons, and the Exterminator was settled on precisely BECAUSE it was redundant, but it was still a silly addition.

Ironclad82
13-12-2011, 03:53
The Leman Russ Exterminator was allowed (as the only variant) in a single codex for no apparent reason. Yes, it share the name of there primarch but wasn't it named at the time when he was an Imperial Guard commander? And in any case, that wasn't any good reason why they should have access to them, especially only one random variant. So no, it's not really any more fluffy than using any random vehicle as a count-as.

I've played a few games since against this. There really is never any confusion save for the odd observer who eventually laments the loss of the tank in the new codex(and sometime prompting a sulken remark from disenfranchized Iron Warrior players)and model really does look cool and the only other vehicles, a Dread, has never tries to hide behind it or something. I think for the legacy of Russ the whole thing is great.

Leftenant Gashrog
16-12-2011, 16:45
Yes, it share the name of there primarch but wasn't it named at the time when he was an Imperial Guard commander?

He was never an Imperial Guard Commander. He was an Imperial Commander, that being an Adeptus Terra rank held by all Space Marine Chapter Masters and Imperial Planetary Governors.

Vaktathi
16-12-2011, 16:54
He was never an Imperial Guard Commander. He was an Imperial Commander, that being an Adeptus Terra rank held by all Space Marine Chapter Masters and Imperial Planetary Governors.IIRC he had risen from the Imperial *Army* (they hadn't change to the Guard yet) to the rank of Imperial Commander and command of the Space Wolves chapter.