PDA

View Full Version : Forge World Rapier Laser Destroyer

agurus1
07-12-2011, 05:53
Ok so incase you haven't noticed:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/GRAIA-PATTERN-RAPIER-LASER-DESTROYER.html

pretty darn cool eh? I mean yeah, artillery rules are a bit meh (personally) but the armor piercing potential of this glorious throwback is undeniable! For myself however I hope they do the old multilaser variant!!! What are your thoughts? You like it? No? Why not? Are you going to use it?

I'm thinking of freeing some points for a unit, at 40 a pop they sound like a good buy!

chromedog
07-12-2011, 06:20
The old multilaser version?

Multilaser was only good in RT in comparison to the other guns that were available (and autocannons were actually good back then).

I still prefer the old 3rd ed CJ version of the rules they had.

agurus1
07-12-2011, 06:25
what was the CJ version armed with?

tu33y
07-12-2011, 08:41
i "sort of" like the model but the experimental rules are just tosh. and by tosh i mean fairly balanced and make sense... in the current game its just not worth taking... unless you cheat a little, take it as part of your Armoured company, class it as a vehicle, and give it "slick loader" which lets it fire twice (pew pew not just pew) OR tank hunter, which makes it S10 against vehicles. Or both if you have Grizmund...

AndrewGPaul
07-12-2011, 09:21
The Rapier has never been armed with a multilaser (except possibly for the Journal rules chromedog mentions). It's had a multi-barreled laser weapon, but that's not the same thing; it's always been a "super-lascannon" mobile anti-tank gun.

I'm sort of tempted to pick up a Tarantula, Thudd Gun and this Rapier, for nostalgic reasons. I'd need to convert up some other crew, since I don't play Krieg or Cadians, though.

feelnopain666
07-12-2011, 11:16
Time to dust off my metal rapiers. Nothing feels better than nostalgia

Mannimarco
07-12-2011, 15:07
I like it and would use it but cant because its only available in the IA5 list and not the IA7 one :(

feelnopain666
07-12-2011, 15:10
only available in the IA5 list and not the IA7 one :(

even so, if you talk before-hand with your regular gaming buddies, i'm sure that it will be no problem. I would allow it.
PS: arent the rules still experimental?

The Marshel
07-12-2011, 16:27
whats the point of the extra crewmen? is it just a fluff thing (heavy weapons teams?) all i can think of is cc, in which case 3 guardsmen suppose to do anything in cc?

doubleT
07-12-2011, 16:51
If one gets killed the other can still shoot the damn think. ;)

Since I play the Siege Regiment Army List, I guess I'll check it out. I really like the model, specially the tracks! Looking good.

Exitas-Acta-Probat
07-12-2011, 17:00
i love it, seriously considering getting one. or three.

drear
07-12-2011, 17:20
very cool, it will go well with my engineer force, sandwiched between thudd gun batteries

agurus1
07-12-2011, 18:04
yeah I'm seriously thinking of getting one for my Vostroyan's. Think it would make sense them coming from a forge world and everything. The AP1 and Ordnance helps too!

laudarkul
07-12-2011, 19:23
It looks perfect. Definitely one it a hoping that in time to have a battery of 3 Rapier killers.

MarkNorfolk
07-12-2011, 19:40
[QUOTE=AndrewGPaul;5955021]The Rapier has never been armed with a multilaser ...QUOTE]

WH40K Compendium (copyright 1989), p91: The whole page is about the Rapier carrier with multi-laser.

The rapier battery from the Citadel Journal (introduced for the revised Necromunda rules and added to IG and marine Heavy Support slots) was a Strength 10 AP1 Twin-linked weapon making it great for tank busting.

Cheers
Mark

agurus1
07-12-2011, 20:34
It looks perfect. Definitely one it a hoping that in time to have a battery of 3 Rapier killers.

yeah if I use them, I'll just replace a vendetta with them.

chromedog
07-12-2011, 20:52
The Rapier has never been armed with a multilaser (except possibly for the Journal rules chromedog mentions). It's had a multi-barreled laser weapon, but that's not the same thing; it's always been a "super-lascannon" mobile anti-tank gun.

Actually, Andrew, the original RT Rapier weapons carrier DID have a multilaser, but it was a far-cry from the crapulous version available on IG vehicles today.

It was more a four-chambered, rapid firing lascannon super anti-tank gun than the flashlight currently in use and called "multilaser". Remember, this was long before the battlecannon was created, when autocannons WERE decent anti-tank weapons.

The CJ one had a "laser destroyer" on it. Basically a S10 AP1 lascannon.
Pretty much the same as the current FW rules but without the explodes risk. 1-3 could be a guard HS choice.
There were TWO versions of the actual metal piece released. The original had the four chambered weapon, the second had a different style on the track units (still trapezoidal, but minor design changes) and a twin-barrel laser cannon system. The CJ article showed both.

RunepriestRidcully
07-12-2011, 22:00
If I ever did an imperial guard army (probably vostryians) I'd take at least one squad, however I wish they were an option for chaos marines, would be a nice way to give them anti tank, their is artwork of chaos marines using them or even just have them as the legions never got seperated from their imperial army contingents like the loyalists did.

fearthepenguin
07-12-2011, 22:38
I love 'em. the idea of a twin linked ap1 lascannon is awesome :D and 3 in a squadron will be hillarious. they will be killing a tank every turn guaranteed short of titans and maybe land raiders depending on how lucky (or unlucky) you are with the dice.

agurus1
08-12-2011, 03:35
If I ever did an imperial guard army (probably vostryians) I'd take at least one squad, however I wish they were an option for chaos marines, would be a nice way to give them anti tank, their is artwork of chaos marines using them or even just have them as the legions never got seperated from their imperial army contingents like the loyalists did.

apocalypse... :)

Angelwing
08-12-2011, 05:01
Time to break out my metal one!

Vaktathi
08-12-2011, 05:08
very powerful weapons, twin linked ordnance ap1 lascannons, but relatively easy to destroy. I want 9 :D

AndrewGPaul
08-12-2011, 08:57
Actually, Andrew, the original RT Rapier weapons carrier DID have a multilaser, but it was a far-cry from the crapulous version available on IG vehicles today.

It was more a four-chambered, rapid firing lascannon super anti-tank gun than the flashlight currently in use and called "multilaser". Remember, this was long before the battlecannon was created, when autocannons WERE decent anti-tank weapons.

Apparently not, now that I check; it was the same multilaser that the Sentinel mounted - S6, -1 save mod, following fire. You could upgrade the Rapier to carrying a lascannon. Apparently the honkin' great anti-tank gun o' doom was a 2nd edition invention.

chromedog
08-12-2011, 09:36
Well, colour me wrongish then.

Skipped a chunk of late RT and most of 2nd ed with partying, clubbing, girls and stuff.

The only surviving books from RT that I have (Chapter approved and the compendium - aka the big red book) are still packed away awaiting unpacking in the wake of house renos. I just wish I knew WHICH box they were in.

Godzooky
08-12-2011, 12:20
what was the CJ version armed with?

I'm pretty sure it had Pamela Anderson strapped on the front, so whatever it was, it was twin-linked... :shifty: