PDA

View Full Version : Ironcurse Icon

Spiney Norman
07-12-2011, 06:51
Got some questions on the Ironcurse Icon

1. Does it work against the Casket of Souls' Light of Death spell (the casket is a warmachine), if yes, will it stack with any magic resistance the target unit has?

2. Does it work against spells that resolve like warmachine weapons, such as the amber spear in Lore of Beasts?

3. Does it work against warmachine-type weapons that are (for example) mounted on chariots or carried by monsters (i.e their troop type is not "warmachine" ), for example the Steam Tank's Cannon, the Ironblaster or scrap launcher or the Necrolith Colossus' bow of the desert?

4. Does it work against special abilities that "count as" or "resolves" as warmachine weapons, but are not actually troop type warmachine? For example the Thundertusk's ray of ice ability?

m1acca1551
07-12-2011, 07:01
I've always played it as for arty (cannons, mortars, rock lobbers) etc only. Spells or abilities like you have mentioned i don't count as artilery but as abilities and spells there fore the icon having no affect.

ARabidNun
07-12-2011, 08:07
I think a good basic rule of thumb is if it refers to the warmachine section in the rulebook (for references, or misfire), its effect should be treated like a warmachine.

If it states "it is treated as a, or is a (enter rulebook warmachine here)" then yes. If it has a rule isolated from any of the above then probably not.

I am not certain for all of the examples you stated, but the colossus bow clearly states "is a bolt thrower with the profile shown", so yes a warmachine, just not classified as such because its a monster and this overrules the warmachine limitations. Therefor I would allow you to use the effect of the Ironcurse Icon, as I would expect my opponents to do the same.

-Rabid

popisdead
07-12-2011, 16:22
2. Does it work against spells that resolve like warmachine weapons, such as the amber spear in Lore of Beasts?

2 - It's a Magic Missile. It is clearly defined in the rules of the spell. Not sure why this was an issue.

Lord Inquisitor
07-12-2011, 16:37
It actually says it works on "war machine weapons" not Unit Type: War Machine.

This is something that can be debated but for me that means a weapon that fires like a war machine. So yes for hellcannon and ironblasters (even though they're not unit type war machine) but no for, say, a pistol fired by a dwarf war machine crew (even though they are unit type war machine).

It makes sense and it's consistent with RAW. So no, I wouldn't treat Casket attacks/spells as "war machine weapons".

BEEGfrog
07-12-2011, 21:21
If both iron curse icon and magic resistance were applicable then they would stack.

decker_cky
07-12-2011, 23:31
I'd say light of death doesn't work since it's not a weapon.

wyvirn
08-12-2011, 02:36
What about CC attacks from the crew?

Grey Seer
08-12-2011, 15:30
I would agree with Lord Inquisitor that the Icon does not have an effect on attacks from the crew was they are not a "war machine weapon."