PDA

View Full Version : stupidity rule

kyinpie
07-12-2011, 12:11
hey, something come up last night and couldnt find the rule for it.

what happens when you fail a stupidity roll whilst in a building??

do u stay in the building or stumble out of the building? i know that either way you cant shoot, cast magic, etc.

cheers ky

T10
07-12-2011, 13:01
The building rules don't deal with the issue.

It seems to me that you remain in the building but suffer all other penalties for failing the test.

-T10

Artiee
07-12-2011, 13:42
I know its bad to base some rules off others. But based on the frenzy rule, a stupid unit would wander outside.

a18no
07-12-2011, 14:04
I know its bad to base some rules off others. But based on the frenzy rule, a stupid unit would wander outside.

I would be playing it like that.

eron12
07-12-2011, 14:56
As would I.

Artinam
07-12-2011, 18:40
The question is what direction.

theunwantedbeing
07-12-2011, 18:43
The direction would be random.

T10
08-12-2011, 05:47
Why?

-T10

theunwantedbeing
08-12-2011, 10:47
Because I say so :P

After actually bothering to look at the rules it does say they move directly forwards in the same manner as a failed charge. As you aren't allowed to charge out of a building I guess you would really stay put.

Although I say we wait for GW to FAQ this or release a new set of rules that remove the need for this question :)

SanDiegoSurrealist
08-12-2011, 21:18
I think they are to dumb to figure out what to do and the to unit would wander outside of the building, they are stupid after all.

While we are talking about stupidity –

What happens to a frenzied of Witch Elves unit that has Acquiescence cast on it? Acquiescence is the Slaneesh spell that causes a unit to suffer from stupidity for the rest of the game.

Do they roll for stupidity at the beginning of the turn as normal or because they are frenzied are they immune to psychology and therefore unaffected by the spell?

Scalebug
08-12-2011, 22:13
"Immune to psychology" is immunity to Fear and Panic (and Terror, although it seems redundant to type that out as all instances where it would come into play is already covered by Fear and Panic, isn't it?)

Plus a number of other effects here and there, such as a Banshee's scream, but in any case, it has no effect on Frenzy/hatred/stupidity that used to fall under "psychology" in previous editions, but don't do so any more.

kyinpie
08-12-2011, 23:49
thanks for the input guys

ky

Harwammer
09-12-2011, 11:52
(and Terror, although it seems redundant to type that out as all instances where it would come into play is already covered by Fear and Panic, isn't it?)

Not quite, IIRC terror causes fear in things otherwise immune to fear.

T10
09-12-2011, 12:31
Because I say so :P

Indeed :)

The rulebook doesn't really say what happens, so I guess "whatever the players can agree on" is the way to go.

-T10

theunwantedbeing
09-12-2011, 12:37
Indeed :)

The rulebook doesn't really say what happens, so I guess "whatever the players can agree on" is the way to go.

-T10

I'de go with staying in the building personally.
Just because the stupidity rules tell you to treat the movement like a failed charge, which is something models in buildings aren't allowed to do.

If it didn't say that I'de have stuck with my initial reaction of pick a random direction.

Crovax20
09-12-2011, 12:40
Not quite, IIRC terror causes fear in things otherwise immune to fear.

AFAIK Terror will cause fear in fear causing creatures, that are not immune to psychology. Immune to psychology you are just to awesome to care that a giant dragon just landed on top of you.

Harwammer
09-12-2011, 12:47
Sorry, I think I've been unclear.
I respondign to a post that said ITFear and ITPanic cover ITTerror. I was suggesting they didn't and ITTerror is a useful part of ITPsych.

Althwen
09-12-2011, 13:48
This came up two weeks ago in a game we played as well.

We played it like this:
Stupid unit stumbles outside in the direction of the nearest unit. It had to remain in contact with the building.
- as per the stupidity rule for failing the test and the direction as per the frenzy rule for when being forced to charge out of a building.

kyinpie
09-12-2011, 14:22
we have house ruled it now as stay in the building. everyone seems to agree intill faq covers it, if we r lucky lol!

ky

kalspriggs
09-12-2011, 17:42
My question, if a stupid unit is 2 inches away from a unit it plans on charging, fails it's stupidity test, and then wanders forward 3 inches, does this count as charging or (as we decided) does the unit just stop 1 inch away? The other unit was locked in combat with a chariot (trolls failed 3 stupidity tests that game, despite the general being directly behind them).

theunwantedbeing
09-12-2011, 17:46
It should work exactly like random movement...seeing as it well....is random movement.

Although it states you move as if it was a failed charge.
So presumably you must stop an inch away otherwise it wouldn't be moving like a failed charge would it?

Magot
09-12-2011, 18:47
I'de go with staying in the building personally.
Just because the stupidity rules tell you to treat the movement like a failed charge, which is something models in buildings aren't allowed to do.

My idea, they are too stupid to think of leaving the building.... :p

Skipschnitz
09-12-2011, 21:08
Looks to me as on page 127 of the BRB, you'd actually have to leave the building. Frenzied units can't be forced to charge, but if they fail their test, then they have to exit the building as close as possible to the enemy instead of charging. So, if you fail the stupidity test, you'd ramble forward, or as the rules state "exit" the building with one model in its rear rank touching the building. So if Elvis fails his stupidity test, then he gets to "leave the building". :)

H33D
10-12-2011, 01:38
scatter dice... mwahaha

Mr_Rose
10-12-2011, 03:38
Yeah, use a scatter die but, just because stupid things are stupid and may not be able to figure out doorknobs, why not have them stay inside if you roll a 'hit'?

DeathlessDraich
10-12-2011, 13:38
hey, something come up last night and couldnt find the rule for it.

what happens when you fail a stupidity roll whilst in a building??

do u stay in the building or stumble out of the building? i know that either way you cant shoot, cast magic, etc.

cheers ky

No clear answer in the rules but using the rules below, I've come to the conclusion that the unit stays in the building:

1) pg 126 "For the most part buildings act as impassable terrain" 'Most' implies exceptions and following the rules there are only 2 - the 2 exceptions being Assaulting and Abandoning a building

2) Since only Abandoning applies in this case - Applying the Abandoning a building rules on pg 127 "can exit in the Remaining Moves phase" - i.e. exit does not occur before but during Remaining Moves. (N.B. Frenzied units also 'exit' during this sub phase).

3) Stupidity - pg 76 - Test is taken at the start and if failed the unit "immediately stumbles forward". This is at the very start even before charge declarations and certainly well before Remaining Moves.
The Stupid unit is therefore still in impassable terrain when 'Me head 'urts' takes effect and therefore cannot move - (the building stops being impassable only on 2 occassions mentioned in (1) above)

Therefore the unit stays :)

kyinpie
11-12-2011, 13:34
No clear answer in the rules but using the rules below, I've come to the conclusion that the unit stays in the building:

1) pg 126 "For the most part buildings act as impassable terrain" 'Most' implies exceptions and following the rules there are only 2 - the 2 exceptions being Assaulting and Abandoning a building

2) Since only Abandoning applies in this case - Applying the Abandoning a building rules on pg 127 "can exit in the Remaining Moves phase" - i.e. exit does not occur before but during Remaining Moves. (N.B. Frenzied units also 'exit' during this sub phase).

3) Stupidity - pg 76 - Test is taken at the start and if failed the unit "immediately stumbles forward". This is at the very start even before charge declarations and certainly well before Remaining Moves.
The Stupid unit is therefore still in impassable terrain when 'Me head 'urts' takes effect and therefore cannot move - (the building stops being impassable only on 2 occassions mentioned in (1) above)

now this makes alot of sense to me so i will go with this!

just for the interest of those following this thread, this rules query makes a difference of me winning the game or drawing the game! lol not that its that important as it was a cracking game. so going with the above rules answer the game was a draw!

it was a 4500pt game of storm of magic. i had two fulcrums and he had two. both my wizards were fine but one of his was fiine the other (a lvl 4 light emperor dragon) was a toad, i had cast the cantrap spell that effects summoned monsters and rolled the result that makes him stupid. therefore he was leadership 1 and needed double ones not to fail the test, whilst on the fulcrum. of course he failed the roll, hence the rules query!
he was using bretonia and i was using tomb kings. using VP i smashed him, however storm of magic does not use VP's lol. looking in hnd sight maybe we should of had 5 fulcrums at the point level instead of 4! live and learn.

Magot
11-12-2011, 17:33

Yes indeed, better explanation than mine :)