PDA

View Full Version : Numbers since new trade rules

WarmbloodedLizard
07-12-2011, 14:27
I'd like to know whether preventing people from australia, switzerland, etc. from ordering from UK stores had a positive or a negative effect on sales/revenue. Are there any numbers available?

(I've barely bought anything since this happened (2 ironblasters, nothing else))

eriochrome
07-12-2011, 14:43
Half year report should show up in January.

WarmbloodedLizard
07-12-2011, 15:02
ok, thanks :)

Hengest
07-12-2011, 18:36
This from a GW November statement:

For immediate release 25 November 2011
Games Workshop announces that royalties received to date in the first half of the year to 3 June 2012 have been significantly higher than in the comparable period last year.
The Group's core trading activities are performing broadly in line with the Board's expectations.

This from a brokers November report:
Games Workshop: “We are forecasting H1 PBT of £9m vs £6.7m last year, helped by the boost to royalty income. We are not changing our forecast at this stage, given the important Christmas period is still to come. However, this does make us more confident that full year forecasts will be exceeded,” - Peel Hunt.

The bearded one
07-12-2011, 19:46
so... GW not failing badly, crashing, burning and exploding in spectacular fashion in front of the feet of all those righteous wargamers offended by the greed and evil that seeped from GW?

well, that's a shame.

Or maybe they're lying..........? We're all thinking it! Death to the evil corporation!

Reinholt
07-12-2011, 22:05
I would actually suggest that:

- Roughly steady revenue net of any currency issues on core business
- Roughly steady to mildly declining profit on core business
- Significantly increasing royalty revenue
- Significantly decreasing unit volumes on core business

Is probably the most likely outcome for GW over the next 2-3 year period. At some point you have enough volume issues that your sales fall off a cliff, but they aren't there yet. They are creeping towards trouble, not racing headfirst at it.

EmperorNorton
07-12-2011, 22:24
In the last half-year report, GW stated that they received £0.9m in royalties.
Considering that THQ says that they have sold 1.2 million copies of Space Marine it's no wonder the royalty income went up. It'll be interesting to see how much, though.

Dæmon
07-12-2011, 22:28
so... GW not failing badly, crashing, burning and exploding in spectacular fashion in front of the feet of all those righteous wargamers offended by the greed and evil that seeped from GW?

well, that's a shame.

Or maybe they're lying..........? We're all thinking it! Death to the evil corporation!
Maybe they aren't lying but a bit tricky.
E.G when we are confused with the out of place release activity during the holidays ( when in the past years there hasn't) GW has been busy trying to boost additional sales ;)

The bearded one
07-12-2011, 22:30
Considering that THQ says that they have sold 1.2 million copies of Space Marine it's no wonder the royalty income went up.

1.2 million already? Damn, that's pretty fast.

rodmillard
07-12-2011, 22:35
Maybe they aren't lying but a bit tricky.
E.G when we are confused with the out of place release activity during the holidays ( when in the past years there hasn't) GW has been busy trying to boost additional sales ;)

Except that the mid-year statement runs to November 30th. December releases don't factor into the figures (although this may explain why things like the mega paint set are traditionally released in early-mid November, rather than first saturday of december)

iamfanboy
07-12-2011, 22:40

well, that's a shame.

I don't think anyone with a gram of sense has ever said that GW will crash, burn, and explode in a spectacular fashion. The people who have wisdom to see predict gradual declines, with a small whimper of an ending more than a few years from now. 20 at the most.

In fact, the only people I see using those kind of phrasings are the 'valiant defenders' of GW trying to belittle the nay-sayers... which means they definitely don't come under that 'gram of sense' category.

Personally, when a corporation uses the phrase, "broadly in line," it immediately raises my suspicions - it's a nice bit of doublespeak, like calling the relations between USSR and USA "correct" instead of "not murdering each other" at the height of the Cold War.

It COULD mean "Our profits were exactly what we expected, little more or a little less," but it never gets used in that sense. Instead, it's an ass-covering line that usually means, "Things are going badly, but not badly enough to fire the CEO and redefine the business's direction before it chokes and dies."

EmperorNorton
07-12-2011, 22:53
1.2 million already? Damn, that's pretty fast.

Guess so. THQ even stated that it exceeded their expectations a bit.

Now the thing that makes me wonder:
In their last annual report, GW posted a revenue of £123.1m, so roughly £100 per person who bought Space Marine (although not every GW customer will have bought the computer game and not everybody who bought the computer game will be a tabletop gamer).
Their operating profit was £12.8m, the royalties receivable £2.5m.
I agree with Reinholt's assessment that their royalty revenue is likely to go up while their profit from the core business is likely to go down.

At what point will they ditch their core business because it's not worth the effort anymore?

The bearded one
07-12-2011, 23:52
I don't think anyone with a gram of sense has ever said that GW will crash, burn, and explode in a spectacular fashion. The people who have wisdom to see predict gradual declines, with a small whimper of an ending more than a few years from now. 20 at the most.

In fact, the only people I see using those kind of phrasings are the 'valiant defenders' of GW trying to belittle the nay-sayers... which means they definitely don't come under that 'gram of sense' category.

tsk, you can't just make a joke nowadays.

Personally, when a corporation uses the phrase, "broadly in line," it immediately raises my suspicions - it's a nice bit of doublespeak, like calling the relations between USSR and USA "correct" instead of "not murdering each other" at the height of the Cold War.

It COULD mean "Our profits were exactly what we expected, little more or a little less," but it never gets used in that sense. Instead, it's an ass-covering line that usually means, "Things are going badly, but not badly enough to fire the CEO and redefine the business's direction before it chokes and dies."

That seems to broadly correspond with my last sentence, barring semantics.

Guess so. THQ even stated that it exceeded their expectations a bit.

I'm particularly surprised seeing as a lot of reviews I read about it were "mhmm, it's pretty nice, but not super great". It's nice to finally see a warhammer game I like perform well in sales though, after how warhammer online went.

iamfanboy
08-12-2011, 00:39
Well, I know YOU were joking, but really and honestly it does seem to be the common strawman argument amongst the hardcore of the GW supporters that we detractors say it'll die in a year or whatever.

frozenwastes
08-12-2011, 02:20
I hope the increase in royalties (especially if FFG is a noteworthy contributor) might make GW look more and more favourably at the idea of licensing out a complete revamp of their rules approach. That they'll see a potential for profit off their fictional universes that isn't being met by their core business and take a real hard look at why that might be.

A slow decline/bleed out in unit sales and the size of their customer base over the last decade hasn't woke GW management from their haze. Maybe success in licensing will do it where failure hasn't.

rodmillard
08-12-2011, 19:31

In this case, I suspect it means "the boost in royalty income really covered our backsides, since otherwise we would have to report a drop in turnover. But that's OK, because we were able to boost profits by switching to a cheaper material and selling it for the price of raw heroin..."

silashand
08-12-2011, 21:17
I would actually suggest that:

- Roughly steady revenue net of any currency issues on core business
- Roughly steady to mildly declining profit on core business
- Significantly increasing royalty revenue
- Significantly decreasing unit volumes on core business

Is probably the most likely outcome for GW over the next 2-3 year period. At some point you have enough volume issues that your sales fall off a cliff, but they aren't there yet. They are creeping towards trouble, not racing headfirst at it.

This would be my bet. In essense, fewer sales, the loss of which was countered by a strong royalties increase.

At this rate royalties to other companies using their IP is all they will have left eventually. They won't even have to make any more models at that point :p

Cheers, Gary

Bork
08-12-2011, 21:52
Is wayland or maelstrom publically traded? Would be interresting to see how they have been affected. I'm not saying that they are objective in this, but the only way the policy can be evaluated would be to compare their lost sales to the gw gains in "the rest of the world".

And I think the loud critics of this policy are the ones who like gw and want to continue buying their product (or sell it over the internet).

bolshie
08-12-2011, 23:22
Is wayland or maelstrom publically traded? Would be interresting to see how they have been affected. I'm not saying that they are objective in this, but the only way the policy can be evaluated would be to compare their lost sales to the gw gains in "the rest of the world".

And I think the loud critics of this policy are the ones who like gw and want to continue buying their product (or sell it over the internet).

Companies don't pay VAT on exports outside of the EU, which is perhaps why GW wanted the trade for themselves and Wayland, in particular, was so vocal in opposing the change.

AlexHolker
09-12-2011, 02:56
Companies don't pay VAT on exports outside of the EU, which is perhaps why GW wanted the trade for themselves and Wayland, in particular, was so vocal in opposing the change.
GW doesn't want the 20% extra from not subtracting the VAT from international sales, they want the 80% extra from ripping off Japan and Australia. If they wanted to sell internationally from the UK webstore, they wouldn't have increased their shipping charges to those countries by 400%.

bolshie
09-12-2011, 13:17
GW doesn't want the 20% extra from not subtracting the VAT from international sales, they want the 80% extra from ripping off Japan and Australia. If they wanted to sell internationally from the UK webstore, they wouldn't have increased their shipping charges to those countries by 400%.

They've got both.

Ozorik
09-12-2011, 13:22
They've got both.

Only if they can manage to actually sell anything internationally.

bolshie
09-12-2011, 14:52
Only if they can manage to actually sell anything internationally.

:rolleyes:

Ozorik
09-12-2011, 15:14
You can roll your eyes all you like but its a very pertinent point. GW's sales figures this year will be very interesting reading.

paddyalexander
09-12-2011, 15:28
bolshie can you understand how gwPLCs' current behaviour to their customers outside of the UK is creating a lot of negitive feelings.

How many Austailian customers, when forced by gwPLC to stop buying their products at what those customers felt was a more reasonable price (based on a straight conversion of the pound sterling RRP) happily went down to their local gwPLC store and bought the same products at a 70% plus mark up?

Most moved onto other games companies or are buying their models from the secondhand market.

Do you have anything intelligent to add?

The bearded one
09-12-2011, 15:54
Just out of curiosity, waylandgames tried to circumvent this 'embargo', how did that pan out? Did they succeed or has there been no word about that yet?

shelfunit.
09-12-2011, 16:04
Just out of curiosity, waylandgames tried to circumvent this 'embargo', how did that pan out? Did they succeed or has there been no word about that yet?

Still nothing concrete (sp?) yet, although there is a constant line of "we're working on it" but I Imagine if it doesn't happen soon the interest around it will not make it worth doing.

bolshie
09-12-2011, 17:06
bolshie can you understand how gwPLCs' current behaviour to their customers outside of the UK is creating a lot of negitive feelings.

How many Austailian customers, when forced by gwPLC to stop buying their products at what those customers felt was a more reasonable price (based on a straight conversion of the pound sterling RRP) happily went down to their local gwPLC store and bought the same products at a 70% plus mark up?

Most moved onto other games companies or are buying their models from the secondhand market.

Do you have anything intelligent to add?

Spare me the Robin Hood act.

Your 'internet wisdom' is based on the assumption that people in Australia knew about the saving in the first place. I was struck by how many people had no idea of the savings that could be made buying from UK internet sellers.

shelfunit.
09-12-2011, 17:29
Well between 2010 and 2011 they managed to turn a £604k profit in Australia to a £406k loss, so something needed to change, stopping people buying from outside Australia is the correct thing to do, but their pricing policy in Australia (and to be fair anywhere outside the UK) in not set up for this.

eron12
09-12-2011, 17:32

Your 'internet wisdom' is based on the assumption that people in Australia knew about the saving in the first place. I was struck by how many people had no idea of the savings that could be made buying from UK internet sellers.

If a sizable number of people didn't know about the option, GW wouldn't have closed it. I think the next few sets of numbers will be quite interesting.

Chaos and Evil
09-12-2011, 17:34
Well between 2010 and 2011 they managed to turn a £604k profit in Australia to a £406k loss, so something needed to change, stopping people buying from outside Australia is the correct thing to do, but their pricing policy in Australia (and to be fair anywhere outside the UK) in not set up for this.

I agree with Shelfunit.

bolshie
09-12-2011, 19:47

This loss is something that is largely overlooked when discussing this issue.

If a sizable number of people didn't know about the option, GW wouldn't have closed it.

That's some twisted logic.

IJW
09-12-2011, 20:07
Not at all. If no significant number of people knew about or used it then there would have been no need to close it because it wouldn't have made any difference. It's very basic logic.

shelfunit.
09-12-2011, 21:14

On the contrary - it has been specifically (and repeatedly) identified as a reason for GW to standardise it's prices worldwide, which is why the Aus GW gamers were searching elsewhere for fairer prices. Basically, if GW charged a similar price locally in Aus as what Wayland/Maelstrom et al were able to with shipping, then GW Aus could go back to turning a profit and growing. The extremely odd thing with the figures though, is that GWs sales revenue in Aus between 2010 and 2011 only fell by £155K. Somehow the profits nose dived by over £1m over the same period.

paddyalexander
09-12-2011, 21:54
That's some twisted logic.

So nothing intellegent to add then. :rolleyes:

:D

And you are working on the assumption that the majority of gwPLCs' customers are ignorant of the existance of the internet.

Seriously in this day and age you don't think that a gamer over the age of 10 will not check prices online? And are you completely ignorant of the fact that buying from UK websites like Wayland & Maelstrom was being vigerously promoted by the "internet community" (in all their "wisdom") on blogs, forums like Dakka Dakka & Warseer and on Austrailian based Podcasts like Podhammer & Worlds End Radio as a way to be able to afford the gwPLC Hobby TM.

The fact that these podcasts that were originaly soley dedicated to gw games, with Podhammer dedicated fanaticly to Warhammer have switched to covering multiple competitors systems is a sign of the damage that gwPLC have done to their international market.

Basicly anyone joining the gamer community in any capacity beyond the sole environment of a gwPLC Hobby Store will have had easy access to this information. Or access to someone who has access to that information.

What I'm expecting is that the traditional outline of their international markets in the next financial report will be changed so that the seperate markets will be lumped together so as to reduce the visability of heavy losses in specific markets.

The bearded one
09-12-2011, 22:17
It took me a while to notice that there are online stores selling at a discount. Discovered that like 2, maybe 3 years ago, while I started this hobby 8 years ago.

It's not that strange not everybody knows about the options, or utilises them. I didn't.

bolshie
09-12-2011, 23:24
You can roll your eyes all you like but its a very pertinent point.

No sir it is not a pertinant point it is troll.

bolshie
09-12-2011, 23:45
On the contrary - it has been specifically (and repeatedly) identified as a reason for GW to standardise it's prices worldwide, which is why the Aus GW gamers were searching elsewhere for fairer prices. Basically, if GW charged a similar price locally in Aus as what Wayland/Maelstrom et al were able to with shipping, then GW Aus could go back to turning a profit and growing. The extremely odd thing with the figures though, is that GWs sales revenue in Aus between 2010 and 2011 only fell by £155K. Somehow the profits nose dived by over £1m over the same period.

I know the figures and felt much the same way as yourself about the anomoly of the loss compared with sales. A new packing facility and distribution centre may partially explain this - though admittedly it is while since I looked at the figures.

However it is not simply a question of price - as you suggest by comparison with wayland/maelstrom. Because there are legal and tax implications that I suspect has led to GW establishing a corporate office in Australia.

There is a threshold for the import of scale models at which point tax is supposed to be paid by the importer, which I believe is $1000AU.

Smuggling is an emotive term.... but let's be honest to attempt to compare pricing based on a company that is complying with all the laws in the country, with companies effectively circumventing those laws is not going to be a runner.

Spectrar Ghost
09-12-2011, 23:55
It may not have been phased exactly neutrally, but the fact is that over the past year GW have been doing everything in their power to prevent their customers from buying across border. They have taken steps that are potentially catostrophic to their trade arm, and increased international shipping from their UK webstore to ridiculous levels. They have done this without addressing the root cause of the cross-border trade; their pricing international pricing scheme. which is out of touch to greater or lesser degrees with pretty much every exchange rate, even after shipping is taken into account. Therefore whatever segment of their customer base was buying overseas in order to keep the product somewhat affordable will likely hemmorage customers who would otherwise have continued to buy. What portion of their ROW customer base will abandon the company is up for discussion, whether some portion (IMO probably fairly significant) will have stopped is not.

Bolshie, you've been combative from the second you stepped into this thread, and have not elaborated on your points in any way that is able to progress or inform the discussion. Regardless of your agreement with myself and others or not, I value your input as long as you can back it up. What is trolling is being agressive with others without any elaboration on why you disagree.

How are companies circumventing laws? They ship under 1k. THat is legal, and does avoid some fees. However the reason that those fees are added is it is more efficient to ship in bulk. SO much more so, in fact, that those fees don't make up the difference in cost, and it is still cheaper.

bolshie
10-12-2011, 00:03
So nothing intellegent to add then. :rolleyes:

:D

And you are working on the assumption that the majority of gwPLCs' customers are ignorant of the existance of the internet.

Seriously in this day and age you don't think that a gamer over the age of 10 will not check prices online? And are you completely ignorant of the fact that buying from UK websites like Wayland & Maelstrom was being vigerously promoted by the "internet community" (in all their "wisdom") on blogs, forums like Dakka Dakka & Warseer and on Austrailian based Podcasts like Podhammer & Worlds End Radio as a way to be able to afford the gwPLC Hobby TM.

The fact that these podcasts that were originaly soley dedicated to gw games, with Podhammer dedicated fanaticly to Warhammer have switched to covering multiple competitors systems is a sign of the damage that gwPLC have done to their international market.

Basicly anyone joining the gamer community in any capacity beyond the sole environment of a gwPLC Hobby Store will have had easy access to this information. Or access to someone who has access to that information.

What I'm expecting is that the traditional outline of their international markets in the next financial report will be changed so that the seperate markets will be lumped together so as to reduce the visability of heavy losses in specific markets.

You make a lot of assumptions don't you?

For someone with so much 'intellegence' I find it odd that you highlight Wayland and Maelstrom, who are currently two of the more expensive internet providers. I would let you in on the secret of where you can get cheaper figures... but I won't bother.

As for Podhammer reporting on other games. Great. I have always been for people trying new games and experimenting. I find it sad the notion that people are so attached to one game/period/set of rules that they won't try something else. I also find it sad when people refuse to go back to a game they once played for spurious reasons.

I can't say what Podhammer has been up to recently, I stopped listening ages ago when they started making jokes about poking Jeff's ex wife in the eye. Let's just call it a matter of taste.

As for the financial report, you are free to think what you like, but I doubt they will. Since each branch of the company is a legally defined entity. And I somehow doubt that things have got so bad that they need to resort to fraud.

Sgt John Keel
10-12-2011, 00:07
The extremely odd thing with the figures though, is that GWs sales revenue in Aus between 2010 and 2011 only fell by £155K. Somehow the profits nose dived by over £1m over the same period.

As far as I remember, when the numbers were released, someone went over them and explained that the discrepancy was due to changing currency rates and the way GW books revenue and expenses internally.

The bearded one
10-12-2011, 00:18
Isn't it great how accounting is always clear and easy to understand? -.-

bolshie
10-12-2011, 00:51
It may not have been phased exactly neutrally, but the fact is that over the past year GW have been doing everything in their power to prevent their customers from buying across border. They have taken steps that are potentially catostrophic to their trade arm, and increased international shipping from their UK webstore to ridiculous levels. They have done this without addressing the root cause of the cross-border trade; their pricing international pricing scheme. which is out of touch to greater or lesser degrees with pretty much every exchange rate, even after shipping is taken into account. Therefore whatever segment of their customer base was buying overseas in order to keep the product somewhat affordable will likely hemmorage customers who would otherwise have continued to buy. What portion of their ROW customer base will abandon the company is up for discussion, whether some portion (IMO probably fairly significant) will have stopped is not.

Bolshie, you've been combative from the second you stepped into this thread, and have not elaborated on your points in any way that is able to progress or inform the discussion. Regardless of your agreement with myself and others or not, I value your input as long as you can back it up. What is trolling is being agressive with others without any elaboration on why you disagree.

How are companies circumventing laws? They ship under 1k. THat is legal, and does avoid some fees. However the reason that those fees are added is it is more efficient to ship in bulk. SO much more so, in fact, that those fees don't make up the difference in cost, and it is still cheaper.

About three years ago the pound/dollar exchange rate was such that it made buying from the US a bargain. I could get figures at 2/3rds of the Uk price.

Well I could and I couldn't because when I got to the check out I was expected to pay local sales tax, customs duty, US shipping rates, which when you added it up made the price more expensive than UK prices.

Was there an internet outcry? No, because the US retailers were too dim to spot the opportunity, and because of that, no one lost out.

Fast forward

The UK resellers had the advantage because they had the subsidised Royal Mail to offer cheap shipping, they were willing to take the risk with customs (which was no worry because if they did get caught the buyer would have to pay) and they could pocket the VAT because it was export.

Was there an internet outcry? Yes, because the UK retailers lost their premium sales, which GW took over - apparently if you are in Australia ou can save 16% buying direct from GW.

As for your point about circumventing the law... yeah it probably has occured.... but then who hasn't been to majorca and bought back bottles of brandy labelled as wine?

Spectrar Ghost
10-12-2011, 01:14
What? Either I'm reading your post wrong or there's a disconnect here somewhere.

There was an "internet outcry" because instead of adjusting their pricing to match current exchange rates, GW simply disallowed UK retailers to ship out of country. For a time the AUS customers that didn't give the game up started to buy from GW UK direct. Then GW made the cost to ship from so exorbitant that it was no longer better to buy from the UK, again instead of simply realigning their prices.

It was GW who cried foul over UK retailers taking advantage of their bad pricing scheme.

Reinholt
10-12-2011, 03:58
Bolshie, I believe your thesis on the Australian price thing is wrong.

I agree that the USD pricing was never fully exploited by people (partially because, with shipping costs included, buying from the UK discounters was usually a better deal, or good enough once you looked at paying currency exchange rates to a bank that the price differential was much smaller than apparent), so the prices were at least somewhat in line.

If we look at this in constant terms, we currently see Australian prices that are ~75% higher than British prices (with both converted to pounds). This is far more than cost of shipping, and you can exploit the currency rates if you ship in even somewhat decent quantities from the UK, Europe, and the US.

So to that extent, if you thought the USD thing was bad, you should think this is totally <expletive deleted>ing insane.

Similarly, I don't think the VAT explanation or customs duties fully explains the situation; GW themselves are trying to cut off purchasing from the UK from GW itself, after all. Everything they have done points to wanting people in Australia to only be allowed to buy from Australia (good luck with that, GW; most of us have heard of the internet). They have even come out and said that openly. Again, if you did everything by the book and just shipped in bulk from somewhere else in the world, you can undercut GW.

To that end, I wouldn't be shocked to see much more of an outcry here. I mean, they are essentially screwing Australia. If everyone else can get things there more cheaply, there is no way GW can justify their prices (they can claim costs, but if they are so high they are uncompetitive compared to everyone else, that just means they are doing a crap job running their business). I think that is provoking most of the outcry. Nobody has yet explained, adequately, why GW prices in Australia are so high short of either greed or stupidity.

For the record, I lean towards the latter.

AlexHolker
10-12-2011, 05:23
There is a threshold for the import of scale models at which point tax is supposed to be paid by the importer, which I believe is $1000AU.
Even then, it's only 10% GST. That's 10% less than every GW model sold in the United Kingdom.

Ozorik
10-12-2011, 08:17
No sir it is not a pertinent point it is troll.

You are certainly living up to your name. At least your responses have become more than an emoticon.

bolshie
10-12-2011, 12:27
I agree that the USD pricing was never fully exploited by people (partially because, with shipping costs included, buying from the UK discounters was usually a better deal, or good enough once you looked at paying currency exchange rates to a bank that the price differential was much smaller than apparent), so the prices were at least somewhat in line.

I've always let paypal deal with the currency conversion. And it was not simply shipping costs that made the deal unworkable, it was all the extras that the US retailers added onto the price, that are not added on by the UK retailers... plus the UK retailers have the benefit of VAT relief to offer free/subsidised shipping.

But regardless, the point is that prior to the current situation GW was able to enforce territorial sales because no one was suitably prepared/or willing to exploit the possibilities. So it is not an issue of people having the internet... as some argue... because the situation I have highlighted was also in the internet age.

As for Australian pricing, to me it seems an issue of corporate structure. There must be a reason why the company is structured as it is. And as the body responsible for territorial sales in the region it is a question that GW AUS will have to resolve. It may well be that in time they cannot justify their existance, and if the company is restructured perhaps the prices will fall more in line with the rest of the world.