PDA

View Full Version : A Necron seduction of the innocent.

DarkLordVerjal
07-12-2011, 19:25
This time in the right section...

Recently I've gotten big into Warhammer 40k, depsite having my collection for almost 2 years I barely played, but now I have a nice handful of friends who play--and a few more on the precipice. I am no stranger to getting friends into games they wouldn't have picked up otherwise, I am the residential plastic-crack dealer. What I do need help with is suggestions on telling my friend on what to buy.

Whenever I get a friend into the game, I glorify each army(well, except Tau) and my friend chose Ancient Egyptian Zombie Terminators, aka Necrons. I am not quite sure what to tell him to get, but I told him the cost of his purchase would be between 200-300 bucks for a small starter army capable of being 1,500pts. I may have bent the truth a tad, but I just need to get him hooked.

My question becomes, is there a cookie-cutter list for Necrons that is Tier 1 and simple stupid to play and use and even do well with? Also, the proper way to use Necrons in combat would also be great. All help is much appreciated for my aspiring friend.

The bearded one
07-12-2011, 20:02
well, since Necrons have only been rereleased for a month or 2, we're not far ahead yet to have figured out a cookiecutter build ;)

Voss
07-12-2011, 20:08
wraith, scarab, spyder spam. Or at least, people will try to push it as the spam list.

1+1_2x2_3^3
07-12-2011, 21:01
Sorry, darklord we are still in the discovery stage when it comes to necrons. However if you go to the battlereport section there is a guy whos name is like revarian or something like that and they have made alot of videos that your friend may find interesting.

Konovalev
07-12-2011, 21:12
Yeah no cookie cutter builds as of yet, but the following items appear to be popular: 4 harbringers of destruction with a solar pulse and 1 harbringer of eternity with chronometron cryptek squad

scarabs, scarabs everywhere.

overlord with warscythe in command barge

necron lords with warscythe, mind shackle scarab, res orb.

Gangremond
07-12-2011, 21:17
Roughly half of the models are available at the moment as well. If your friends want to proxy, that's fine. Otherwise they might want to consider waiting for the Battleforce and the 2nd wave of models to be released.

Steinhardt
07-12-2011, 21:21
OVerlord in Command Barge and 2-3 Annihilation Barges :)

Vedar
07-12-2011, 21:33
You can't go wrong with Warriors. At least 20.
I'm a fan of Ghost Arks. At least 2.
Scarabs are full of win. (2 come with a box of warriors, nice eh?)
I'd say you need at least one Cryptek.
A Ctan would be pretty good.

Everything else is pretty much to taste. Balance seems pretty good in this codex.
There are really no must have units (other than maybe scarabs) and there is no really stinker unit(ie, Chaos Spawn).