PDA

View Full Version : Non D-strength Titans

cuda1179
08-12-2011, 04:59
I have a number of titans and I was recent criticized by a friend for prolific use of strength-D weapons. I'll admit that I have a turbo-laser/Laserblaster Reaver and Warlord, however I just thought they looked cool.

So, to calm down my friends I am thinking of using other weapons for my titans, even going so far as to completely abandon D-strength weapons all together. What are some of the better ones in people's opinions? The thought of a Warlord with two Quake cannons and two Apoc. missile launchers/ Vortex missles sounds fun. How about an all plasma Warlord?

agurus1
08-12-2011, 06:03
well apocalypse isn't really for competition. as far as I am concerned its more about fun. so if your opponents aren't having fun something is up. Biggest problem that comes to mind is perhaps your opponent doesn't have any super-heavies so he may be at a disadvantage? Other than that, if you don't mind so much plasma is a good way to go, quake cannons are cool, and for sure apoc. missile launchers!!!! Read Titanicus for inspiration!!

Sazabi
08-12-2011, 06:28
Yah, if your playing apoc games, and your plopping down two or three titans, particularly the big ones, and your foes have no Super Heavys of their own then the game just becomes a turkey shoot, which is no fun. What (if any) super heavys do you foes have? Is is just like a Baneblade? A few Shadowswords? Have they tried mass artillery? 2500 pts of Basilisks vs a Warlord is certainly fun, but if their apoc forces are mainly hoardes of infantry, then they are hooped. Have you considered lending them a Titan to even up the fight?

Battleworthy Arts
08-12-2011, 06:30
Try the melta cannon... he'll be begging for you to put the D weapon back on.

Lyonator
08-12-2011, 07:57
IMO, D-strength weapons are not necessarily the best tool to have at your disposal...
but they're never something you regret having around.
I go double-D (heh) with my warhound every time, love it.

cuda1179
08-12-2011, 08:45
Try the melta cannon... he'll be begging for you to put the D weapon back on.

I have to ask, what is so great about the Melta Cannon. I don't even know what they were thinking when they wrote the rules for it, especially for the Warlord. It only has one shot. Sure it has a large blast, but a volcano cannon on a Warlord has the same size blast, but auto-penetrates, has three times the range, and ignores cover saves.

Battleworthy Arts
08-12-2011, 17:56
For the reaver, it's a 10 inch template that pens almost everything it touches... and they actually make a model for it.

Ozendorph
08-12-2011, 18:23
I have two Reavers. One is Melta Cannon/TCCW/Plasma Blast Gun, the other is Volcano Cannon/TCCW/Apoc Missile Launcher. Both provide plenty of white-hot death but don't dominate the game like a double laser-blaster/TTL Reaver would. Oh and the Chainfists look pimp ;)

Bonzai
08-12-2011, 22:19
In our shop they take steps to prevent glarining imbalances. 5k points a person, 1 D weapon per player, and no stratigems or assets besides those given by formations. It may sound restrictive, but it lets a broader range of players participate, and keeps things from getting too silly.

I have seen how nasty a couple of the larger Titans can get. If the sides aren't balanced out it can ruin the fun for both sides. Fortunately that can all be dealt with a little advance planning.

Ravenous
09-12-2011, 04:54
Tell your opponents you're sorry for speeding the game up, jesus... They'd love my 5 cobras.

AlphariusOmegon20
09-12-2011, 04:57
Tell him it could be worse.

You could be using the Vortex missile on them.

Ravenous
09-12-2011, 05:09
Or threaten to use Imotekh.

BigBarryJazz
09-12-2011, 10:30
Vortex missles sounds fun.

Nobody will like it any better if you start flinging vortex missiles at them.

Tell your opponents you're sorry for speeding the game up, jesus... They'd love my 5 cobras.

...5? I feel like I'm cheating when I field 2.

Tayrod
09-12-2011, 10:35
So uhm, What's a D-strenght weapon? Something to do with one of the add-on-expansions I assume.

gutsmaka
09-12-2011, 10:46
D wapons are the massive titan weapons/CC weapons in apoc, they automaticly wound, ignore armour and cover and I think they auto pen vehicles too? not fun to face if you dont have some sirius firepower

madden
09-12-2011, 12:04
To true not fun to face if you only got nids and are up against a reaver with tri d gun double d gun and melta cannon. (though he's not brought it after two games against necrons scarabs for the win, they ate it in both games he brought it LOL).(we randomise opponents before set up)

Lathrael
09-12-2011, 12:35
well apocalypse isn't really for competition. as far as I am concerned its more about fun. so if your opponents aren't having fun something is up. Biggest problem that comes to mind is perhaps your opponent doesn't have any super-heavies so he may be at a disadvantage? Other than that, if you don't mind so much plasma is a good way to go, quake cannons are cool, and for sure apoc. missile launchers!!!! Read Titanicus for inspiration!!

I believe; Tank formations > Titans. But i never played apoc and it's based on my mathhammer, for an example a ravager squadron or two with shield destroy stuff is more than a match for any titan, especially if they are delivered via deepstrike.

The bearded one
09-12-2011, 13:29
From what I've heard isn't it also scarabs > Titans? :D

Ravenous
09-12-2011, 14:55
Totally didnt think of scarabs, I guess they are on the list of "not fun in apocalypse", the butt hurts might as well just ban the necron codex as it clearly abuses the crap out of apoc.

Flank march 3000pts of scarabs, man I love resin casting.

musical
09-12-2011, 15:00
Go completely organic! Tyranid Bio-titan only have S10 bio-cannons.

Ravenous
09-12-2011, 15:01
Whats a Tyranid? ;)

gutsmaka
09-12-2011, 19:40
From what I've heard isn't it also scarabs > Titans? :D

ooh yeah, I have seen 3 scarabs eat a 1000p stompa, think what ten would do to an emperor titan "yeahh, so my 160p unit just ate your 5000p+ unit. have a nice day:D:cheese:

Ravenous
10-12-2011, 03:44
Yep, 6 bases will eat a titan on average.... thanks Ward.

Hendarion
10-12-2011, 09:26
Hahaha, Apocalypse got Wardified.

sucks :(
Now I want bio-titans all of a sudden.