PDA

View Full Version : Orcs and Goblins magic question

Overlord Krycis
08-12-2011, 22:23
Hey guys, I've just started to get back into fantasy again after a bit of a break (played WFB from 4th to 7th) and have a question about one of the O&G spells.

I think it's the spell "Gork's Warpath". I know that it does pretty horrific damage to units, but does the spell really keep going on a 3+?
I had this one spell hit my units nearly 10 times from 1 IF casting and it just seemed a bit off...especially considering that it's strength seemed to keep changing.

I know you can't post up rules or anything (and don't want to seem like I'm fishing), but I'd appreciate if anyone could clarify this as my opponent refused to show me the rules and I don't know anyone with an O&G book to ask.

Thanks in advance.

Tayrod
08-12-2011, 22:28
As far as I can recall (I dont have the book on me) on a 4+ the spell repeats itself (though no change in strenght) on a 2-3 it ends, and on a 1, you get to resolve the spell against one of his units.

If your opponent refuses to show the rules, you should end the game. That's really bad sportsmanship.

Overlord Krycis
08-12-2011, 22:40
As far as I can recall (I dont have the book on me) on a 4+ the spell repeats itself (though no change in strenght) on a 2-3 it ends, and on a 1, you get to resolve the spell against one of his units.

If your opponent refuses to show the rules, you should end the game. That's really bad sportsmanship.

Hmm...that's a bit disappointing then.

The game was basically over, I had pretty much destroyed everything on the table (in fact, with one more turn I WOULD have destroyed everything) but then he got that spell off and it basically cost me the game.

Might have to go see if I can get a look at the O&G army book at some point...I actually really liked everything I've seen so far for them, just a bit unsure on their magic.

TMATK
08-12-2011, 22:45
Tayrod is correct, it keeps going on a 4+. Only the boosted version of the spell does this, the normal is only one hit and it ends. Remember that, by rule, if you don't say your casting the boosted version then only the regular version goes off.

Not showing you the rules was horrible sportsmanship.

Overlord Krycis
08-12-2011, 23:03
Tayrod is correct, it keeps going on a 4+. Only the boosted version of the spell does this, the normal is only one hit and it ends. Remember that, by rule, if you don't say your casting the boosted version then only the regular version goes off.

Not showing you the rules was horrible sportsmanship.

I'm just getting back into WFB again after basically overdosing on 40k for about 2 years so there are still a few things that still confuse me. Yet another post-it to be added to the rulebook to remind me lol.

I do think he went for the lower casting though as I think he said it was cast on a 12 or something.
*Shrugs*
Not too bothered tbh...was just trying to get the rules clear in my head.

Thanks guys for the information, it's much appreciated.

Artiee
09-12-2011, 04:11
The Gorks Warpath was 7th edition spell. It did D6 str 6 hits, It continued on a 5+. The 8th edition spell is called Foot of Gork, its a foot templete that scatters. The boosted version continues on a 4+.

Its a high cast value, square root(225) and square root(324)

misterdance
09-12-2011, 05:42
As already mentioned, it's Foot of Gork and always make sure he says it's the higher casting cost, because that's the only one that continues to stomp. I tend to still say "Gork's Warpath" when I want to cast the bigger version. Less confusion. Also, there's no differing strength values. Unless he tried to say the Choppa rule applied to it - which wouldn't be unprecedented as it applies to Armour of Gork for some reason.

I've had fun with this one. At a tournament, during an amazing scenario, my General and his big 'uns turned traitor - my opponent got control of them. I cast Warpath and proceeded to stomp on the unit several times (rolling a lot of 4+) taking out half the unit. Apparently Gork doesn't like traitors.

Overlord Krycis
09-12-2011, 07:58
@Artiee: The template scatters? Hmm...even on the boosted version?
Thanks again for the clarifications....I think he may have misunderstood the spell then.

And the extra strength for the spell was from a nearby combat apparently.

Methinks I'll probably just do what I did in 7th...buy all the army books XD

Avian
09-12-2011, 08:12
How you resolve the template and the damage it does is exactly the same for both version. The only difference is that the boosted one has a chance of getting more stomps or to stomp the caster's own army (when it does this, it then ends).

Politely asking to read the army book often avoids a lot of problems. :)

Overlord Krycis
09-12-2011, 08:39
How you resolve the template and the damage it does is exactly the same for both version. The only difference is that the boosted one has a chance of getting more stomps or to stomp the caster's own army (when it does this, it then ends).

Politely asking to read the army book often avoids a lot of problems. :)

Thanks for the extra clarification Avian.
I did ask to see the specifics for the spell as it seemed a little "too" good after he stomped 3 units killing about 16 each time.

I did politely ask to see it (joking that it was an awesome spell for the O&GS and really funny), but he just re-iterated what the spell does and as this is a way to chill out and relax for me, I just let it slide.
Once it had flattened pretty much all my army, killed all my spellcasters and left me with absolutely no shooting ability whatsoever...I kind of just gave up.

T'Green T'Bad T'Ugly
09-12-2011, 08:40
it does sound like there was some (hopefully unintentional) mistakes made with this spell. But got to agree that not allowing you to see the rulebook was very unsporting.

It is possible for the Strength of the hit to change.
The Big Waaagh Lore attribute gives all spells +1 to any STR effects they have if more Orc units are in combat than are fleeing.
I can't see how this could make the STR go up within the same magic phase though, although it could go down in some rare circumstances (maybe an enemy unit, which was in combat, is wiped out in the magic phase somehow. The Orc unit is then not in combat and this could lead to more units Orcfleeing than are fighting)

Harwammer
09-12-2011, 09:12
My advice is don't play against people who won't let you check the rules. I don't want to play against precious/jealous people or cheats and I'd be suprised if you do.

Assuming the best of your opponent, that he simply misinterpreted the rules (or perhaps you misunderstood what he was saying), this was a situation that could have been resolved if he let you look at his book. You wouldn't even have to touch it to be able to read it as he could have held it for you.

Edit: though if you do refuse to play this person again at least do them the curteosy of explaining why. Hopefully this will lead to a change in behaviour and we can work to eliminate anti social behaviours from our little communities.

theshoveller
09-12-2011, 09:19
As already mentioned, it's Foot of Gork and always make sure he says it's the higher casting cost, because that's the only one that continues to stomp. I tend to still say "Gork's Warpath" when I want to cast the bigger version. Less confusion.

I always refer to it as "Da Krunch" as that's what it was called in 40k 2e... I should probably get my Dark Millennium box out of my parent's loft in Liverpool so that I can use the template.

Avian
09-12-2011, 18:27
Once it had flattened pretty much all my army, killed all my spellcasters ...
Remember also that since it uses a template, Look Out Sir! rolls are allowed.

Overlord Krycis
09-12-2011, 19:29
Remember also that since it uses a template, Look Out Sir! rolls are allowed.

Yeah but one of the stomps hit a lone spellcaster and a unit by placing a 8" x 3" rectangle (I kid you not) and I then failed the reduced "Look out, sir!"
The other Mage was killed by stomping on his bunker 4 times then stomping him.

He has since been pulled aside and told of the errors he did, but has insisted he had just mis-remembered the rules...despite having it sat in front of him...reading it...while telling me what it did...:rolleyes:

So a case of "mid-game rules-adjusting for gaming advantage" then :shifty: ;) :D

Anyway...still enjoying WFB so far.

Avian
09-12-2011, 21:19
A WHAT rectangle? :wtf:

Morkash
09-12-2011, 21:24
Nice, I'll take that template next time as well. Who needs a foot when you can have a giant rectangle killing 100's of infantry every time you cast it!

Edit: Actually, I have to admire your calm stance on this matter. I think after the 6th or 7th rectangle template I would've shown him and his minis my Foot Of Converse.

castlesmadeofsand
09-12-2011, 22:10
it can potentially have a different strength each phase as the lore attribute for big waaagh spells gives a strength bonus to all strength based spells if there are more orc units in combat than fleeing. also remember it scatters and has a chance to hit his own units on a 1 (2-3 ends it and 4+ continues)

also agree about bad sportsmanship, not showing a rule to an opponent should ring alarm bells every time.

Overlord Krycis
10-12-2011, 12:04
A WHAT rectangle? :wtf:

Might have been 8"x2"...but have just read that it actually uses a "Foot" template...:eek:

Nice, I'll take that template next time as well. Who needs a foot when you can have a giant rectangle killing 100's of infantry every time you cast it!

Edit: Actually, I have to admire your calm stance on this matter. I think after the 6th or 7th rectangle template I would've shown him and his minis my Foot Of Converse.

^This is the reason Warseer needs a "like" function. I got quite a chuckle out of this...many thanks.

As for seeming calm...I just don't see the reason to get myself all worked up over something like this in a friendly game.
I'm disappointed that the player felt he needed to cheat in order to beat me (especially as it was my 4th Eighth edition game ever) but that's about as bad as it got.

If it was in a tournament however this would have been played out VERY differently. I am very competitive in tournament play and would have had a judge involved the second he didn't show me the rules.
Maybe I need to start being a lot more strict when playing folks I haven't played before. :(