PDA

View Full Version : "Other" demons

zerodemon
08-12-2011, 23:22
I'm putting my feelers out to everybody with an eye to sculpting some interesting demons for use in sci-fi style wargames such as Warhammer 40,000. Over the last few weeks I've seen some interesting threads in the project logs about how people go about adding some unique models to their daemon armies. I've seen Cthulhu daemons (which are dryads with their heads on backwards with minimal green stuff work), bald, no eyed daemons much like the thing from Pans Labyrinth and Plaguebearers converted from Bloodletters.

My question to you all is out of the following few options, which would you most like to see sold through an independent stockist as an alternative to the standard daemons.

Each option is something I have considered and, while I am most inclined to do the frog demons, I'd like to know which you guys would prefer to see (and by that I mean most inclined to purchase.)

All are within my experience to do reasonably well with (I'll put up my test models for each at some point) but this is more theory based. Each type of daemon would have its basic pattern worked on first. I'd then design a herald type model with multiple heads/weapon fits and then look to working on a demon prince/greater demon model further down the line.

My models will all be sculpted from scratch and cast in resin. bodies, heads and arms will be separate with several options for each. I'll be looking to cast a kit of ten for as little as possible.

If you have other ideas, don't be afraid to comment below. I'm in my brainstorming stage. Everything is very rough.

UberBeast
08-12-2011, 23:45
Bird deamons could be iteresting, though they would be pretty tzeentch looking or else hard to make look neutral.

Cortez
09-12-2011, 00:07
Spawn demons?

TimLeeson
09-12-2011, 01:55
I want to see some old-school Doom influences, like the soul-grinder brought in - Cyber-demons.

Vaktathi
09-12-2011, 02:04
more daemons in general, but I went with the first option. The current daemon book not only weirdly portrays those of the Big4 gods, but doesn't really portray anything of the Daemonic that isn't one of the big 4 aside from Unaligned DP's, Furies, and Soul Reavers.

This is an issue when there's so much more to Chaos than simply the 4 Gods and their minions, with uncountable lesser deities and infinite invidivual warp predators/daemons/creatures both large and small with allegiance to no specific deity.

zerodemon
09-12-2011, 02:23
That's exactly what I feel. These other daemons need representation. There's a sad lack of alternatives out there.

AlphariusOmegon20
09-12-2011, 03:59
Honestly, I'd like to see a dragon daemon of some sort, much like the one from Nocturne.

zerodemon
09-12-2011, 12:52
If anybody seconds somebody else's idea, I'll put it in to my pile to be considered.

Konovalev
09-12-2011, 14:06
Id like to see some sort of corpse composite demon. Like the Thing while it was obsorbing all those dogs at the beginning of the movie. Being familar with the original creatures you instinctively try to see them seperately, but they are in fact one massive frankenstein of a monster and that's what makes it look scary.

Also anything that looks spiderlike - spindly legs(like lictor claws) thick center, mandibles etc. I don't think 40k has enough(or any) monstrous spider creatures.

Vampiric16
09-12-2011, 20:17
I second the 'Thing' idea. You'd get a heck of a lot of mileage out of that film for ideas.

Junkpile Kid
10-12-2011, 00:06
For some inspiration i would suggest you take a look at waargh's stuff he has a few armies on some other sites and does some interesting artwork.

zerodemon
11-12-2011, 22:08
Ok, here is the plan so far. May change. At some point in the next two weeks or so (once I have something reasonable to show you all) I will be setting up a thread in the sci-fi project log. It will be dedicated to creating some 5 part miniatures (1xlegs, 2xarms, torso, head) that will cast well (based on some tres basic greens I cast earlier this week in various poses.) These will make up sprues of 5 mix & match models which will form the core of a Lovecraft style Deep Ones/Frog Demon style model range (combining my two former ideas.) These creatures will be empty handed, though their hands will be talon like, making them good stand-ins for demons of the pincer clawed variety. Tentacles will be provided also for those of the more gribbly persuasion.

At the same time, I will be sculpting alternate left arms carrying a variety of rusty cleavers, knives and swords. These will be coupled with some two horned, cyclopean frog heads I sculpted a while back for a friend of mine...

I have plans for a couple of HQ type troll-sized models also. One will have three heads, while the other will have a split mouth and multiple tongues, for use as Heralds.

After this, if I can create a business model for selling these Lovecraftian demons (a big if), I will go further, sculpting larger models. Either way, it will make for a fun project for me. If you'd be excited to have any of these models, please comment below, so I can gauge the extent to which this is a good idea for distribution.

I'll be going ahead anyway (I want them for myself, irrespective of what you may want) but I'd like to provide a nice, cheap source of units of demons for fantasy and sci-fi wargames to fill what I consider to be a gap in the market if you guys are interested.

Rofleupagus
12-12-2011, 00:04
I want to see some old-school Doom influences, like the soul-grinder brought in - Cyber-demons.

I like this idea. Half a sprue of Cyber bits for if you wanna use them for 40k or WHFB. Then again who cant find some Chaos marine or WoC bits from someone to just plug on models....

colonel kane trine
12-12-2011, 00:49
Id be interested to see these

grey knights rock
12-12-2011, 03:12
I remember in the old daemonhunter's codex that there was a section that showed a generic greater daemon's and generic lesser daemons' rules for non chaos armies. In tat section there was a picture with lesser daemons that had guns and stuff inside them. (If anyboody knows what I am talking about and can find this picture that would be great.) I have always imagined lesser daemons that way.

EDIT: found it http://wiki.urbandead.com/images/d/d1/Mutant-ork.jpg

Elenneth89
12-12-2011, 04:19
i want shoggoth, mi-go, yog-sothoth`s and cthulhu`s offspring as lesser daemons!

zerodemon
12-12-2011, 12:19
See if I was to do 4 Lovecraft-esque gods I'd do Cthulhu, Hastur, Nyarlathotep and Shub-Niggurath. Mi-Go would be an unaligned daemon similar to Furies, though they would never be usable in an army dedicated to Hastur (since he despises Mi-Go.)

Cthulhu would make use of Star Spawn and Deep Ones, as well as heralds/greater daemons such as Father Dagon and Mother Hydra.
Hastur would have access to Byakhee and some kind of strange, masked demon mimes. His heralds would be The King in Yellow and The Phantom of Truth.
Shub-Niggurath would have access to Dark Young and Pan-esque goat daemons (think Beastmen, but more akin to Pan's Labyrinth. The Black Goat of the woods would be a herald.
Nyarlathotep is quite unique, since he doesn't really make use of "lesser" entities, (other than the suggested Mi-Go.) I would probably allow him to divide his consciousness somehow to create various iterations of his own "Masks." I'd probably go with Haunters of the Dark and have "The Dark Pharaoh" as a herald.

All of these forces would be able to make extensive use of cultists.

druchii
12-12-2011, 22:15
I remember in the old daemonhunter's codex that there was a section that showed a generic greater daemon's and generic lesser daemons' rules for non chaos armies. In tat section there was a picture with lesser daemons that had guns and stuff inside them. (If anyboody knows what I am talking about and can find this picture that would be great.) I have always imagined lesser daemons that way.

EDIT: found it http://wiki.urbandead.com/images/d/d1/Mutant-ork.jpg

That's a plague-ork, not a lesser demon or anything cool.

I've always wanted to see large, fleshy things (which have already been done by way of Hell Pit Abomination, and to a lesser degree Wracks and Grotesques), sort of like a Vohzd (http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Vozhd).

And cyber demons. Definitely cyber demons. Actually I think games like Doom, Quake and Prey would be great places to thieve a ton of demon ideas from, because they'll give you some vaguely humanish shape to begin with, but the ability to add a lot of things that just make our brains wig out (much like the previously mentioned Thing beasties. But ignore the new movie, it sucks).

d

El_Capitan
12-12-2011, 22:34
I agree only 4 themed choices from the Chaos Gods is a bit bland. There needs to be more generic, unaligned demons than just the Fury. What about elemental monsters too? Also, some inspiration for you here;)

http://realm667.com/index.php?option=com_sectionex&view=category&id=8&Itemid=181

zerodemon
14-12-2011, 05:28
Thanks for the handy link El Capitan.

Druchii, I am loving your bloodletter centaurs. Might steal your idea for my own daemon army.

druchii
14-12-2011, 19:43
Thanks for the handy link El Capitan.

Druchii, I am loving your bloodletter centaurs. Might steal your idea for my own daemon army.

Hey thanks :)

Feel free to steal 'em all day! They're really simple to make, and pretty cheap too! Bloodletter box + Marauder horsemen. And you get a ton of extra bits!

d

zerodemon
14-12-2011, 23:45
I'm gonna do just that! Unit of 10 I think.

Bit of an update. I've been building armatures today and getting the preliminary green stuff on to the wire frames. these guys are gonna have long arms. Using ball bearings to connect the arms in to shoulder sockets so I can build as multi-parts. Same at waist and neck. Once I have my first green to an acceptable level I'll be splitting in half and building a new set of legs and a new torso to match with the divided parts. Same with arms and heads. Kit should contain the following per sprue.

5 Legs
5 Torsos
5 Left Arms
5 Right Arms
8 Heads
A Bunch of Gribbly Conversion Bits

I also constructed an tall (1 heads bigger, cm wider) frame to represent a Herald.

Pictures will be forthcoming once I have something to show you. Very excited.

druchii
15-12-2011, 19:09
Very excited.

Me too!

d

FlashGordon
15-12-2011, 20:27
Who votes for elemental daemons?!?! Go back to D&D! :P *ducks*

zerodemon
16-12-2011, 05:46
@FlashGordon You're flying blind on a rocket cycle.