PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for OnG

Rywhandar
09-12-2011, 10:58
Hi

After a lot of thinking and looking at other armies, I've finally settled for Orcs n Goblins as my first army for WFB.

So just want suggestions to what units it would be fun to bring along. :)
And also the sizes, since I'm not quite sure how big I should put together my movement trays. :confused:

I'll be only playing for fun, so I don't care much if I'll be losing a few games. :D

Planning on getting a lot of points eventually, but think somewhere between 2000 and 3000 pts for starters. :)

TrueKin
09-12-2011, 11:22
Well, I've been playing Night Goblins for half a year now, and can say that they're great fun. The basic model is awesome even if it is pretty mono-pose. Throw in the fanatics (one of the greatest units in the game with the ability to wreck either player's units. :D ), Squig Herds and Hoppers and maybe some Trolls, and you've got a nice list. Gobbo units being dirt cheap it is a bit slow to build large lists, but pure goblins lists are awesome. Anything that says it's a goblin unit is worth trying out. :D Snotlings are fun too.

Competition-wise you may want to use Savage Orcs and Black Orcs. I don't have much experience with Orcs myself, but I'm sure someone will help with them any minute. ;)

As for movement tray sizes, I run my Gobbos in ranks of 10, 7 and 5, depending on the size and role of the unit. Units with 50+ models are most often in Horde (I usually run only one unit that's larger than 50), and the rest are about 30-40 models strong in ranks of 5 to make Steadfast more probable.
I prefer to use my Squig Herds in a Horde, with as many Squigs as possible and as few handlers as possible. This increases the randomity (is that a word?) of the unit, and I'm a big fan of random units. :p

Oogie boogie boss
09-12-2011, 12:00
I'm just starting with OnG myself, and i'm doing a Savage Orc army. But really the greatest thing about OnG is that they have so many different unit types that you can tailor your army in all sorts of ways.

I've gone Savage because, other than the fact that i've always wanted to have a SO army, they areone of the most offensive (in every respect) units in the army and have a lot of character. Also, i think the models are great!

As TrueKin said, NG are also a lot of fun, and have always been one of the most popular choices for a themed OnG army, as they have some great units (Squigs, Fanatics, Stone Trolls) and are dirt cheap.

My advice is to try to build a balanced force with a little bit of everything, that way you can play a few games and get a feel for how you like to use the army and which units suit you. Once you've done that, you can either build your army to a certain theme, or just continue to expand to include some of everything!

I would start by building a core of maybe 2 units of Orcs (i'd favour additional hand weapon, but it's really up to you) and 2-3 units of either Night Goblins or Common Goblins.
Then i'd just add some of the specials and rares you like the look of (i like Trolls and Giants, though a lot of people won't leave home without an Arachnarok). Or you may decide a big block of BO/SO is the way to go.

One thing i will say, and this is a personal thing which many will disagree with, is that you see a lot of OnG armies with only hordes Savage Orc Big 'Uns, Black Orcs and NG. And no normal Orcs.
This is a pet peeve of mine, as i think it's a shame when people only take the hardest possible untis at the expense of the Common Orcs, as i feel it ruins the theme of the army. Black Orcs in particular are supposed to be quite rare, so it feels a little beardy when you see armies where the Black Orcs outnumber the other Orcs.
Still, like i said, that's a personal thing.

The main thing is, try what you think will be fun and what you like the look of model wise and go from there. With OnG, what ever you chjoose will be fun, you can't miss! :D

Jind_Singh
09-12-2011, 17:16
Oh boy.....

It's too broad my new and budding Big Boss - there is just so many ways you can tackle and Orcs & Goblins project!

Orc Boyz
Savage Orc Boyz
Black Orcs heavy

Common Goblins
Night Goblins
Forest Goblins

All mounted army
Gunline army
Monster mash

And then some of our special characters allow for special builds outside the normal rule book - Like Gorbad's unlimited Big Uns!

So there is a LOT of direction you could take! The best way to start an Orcs & Goblins army.....

1) What makes you tick? When you was flicking through the pages what caught your imagination? Was there a model/color scheme you fell in love with? When you was reading the stories did anything set fire to the imagination?

2) Model access - what is the easiest way you can get access to the models? If you know someone for e.g. who still has the starter set from Battle for Skull Pass...well now you have 500 points of Night Goblins off the bat!
If it's from GW then you go for best value for money - and maybe invest in a battalion or two.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what you collect - quite often I'll just cobble together random elements and I'll still do just fine.

I would collect the army as tribes, and break them down into 500 point sections - and slowly grow the horde that way.

2 battalion boxes would get you:

30 Orcs
40 Goblins
20 Spider Riders
10 Boar Boyz

But it's a rather random mix of models - one of my mates uses 3 units of 10 Spider Riders with full command every game so he loved the battalion boxes. Me? I use the Orcs/Goblins but not so much the Spider Riders (Use 6-10 in each game), and the Boar Boyz are great to collect but I don't use them as much (yet).

So it's a personal thing.

Start with a simple 500 point list - 1 Big Boss, 1 Level 1, 1 Core Unit, 1 cool special unit you like the look of, and build it from there. I did:

Goblin Big Boss
Goblin Big Boss BSB
Level 1 Goblin Shaman

40 Common goblins, full command, bows/shields/3 Skulkers

2 Wolf Chariots

I then had 25pts left over for equipment for my Characters.

This was excellent as it allowed me time to build my models and slap some paint on them - and in the mean time I started some gaming with some friends who didn't mind the smaller points value as they knew I was getting back in to it.

I then expanded the army into 1000 point list by adding some Night Goblins

40 Night Goblins, full command, netters, 1 fanatic, hand weapon/shields
15 Squigs, 10 Herders
5 Squig Hoppers
Mangler Squig

With 5pts left over.

By doing it this way I ended up with:

Goblin Warboss - armor of destiny, Great Axe
Goblin Big Boss BSB, light armor/shield & Spider Banner

Night Goblin Warboss, Stunty Basha, Amulet of protection, enchanted shield, light armor
Night Goblin Great Shaman, level 4
Night Goblin Big Boss, shield, Giant Squig (Big Jobz of course!)

45 Common Goblins, full command, bows & shields, 3 Nasty Skulkers
49 Night Goblin Spears, full command, netters, 1 fanatic
49 Night Goblin Warriors , full command, netters, 1 fanatic
5 Spider Riders, musician, bows

Spear Chukka
Spear Chukka
Wolf Chariot
Wolf Chariot
15 Squigs, 10 Herders
5 Squig Hoppers

Arachnarok Spider
Giant
Mangler Squigs
Mangler Squigs

And I'm a happy chappy! Even more bizarre in my case is that I had quite a few of the models in boxes sitting around - this was my way of forcing myself to build them/paint them - and been using this all Goblin army for ages now, and it does very well! Even came 2nd in a recent tournament of 26 players!

So read the book, see what grabs your attention....and do it!

Bingo the Fun Monkey
10-12-2011, 00:06
1) Find, model, convert, paint and name your warboss.

2) Pick a core troop that's aligned with the warboss.

3) Buy 3 boxes of that core troop type.

4) Get a Shaman.

5) Get a second "block" unit (another core, or black orcs, or a block of trolls). Make sure this unit occupies as many square inches as your first unit.

6) Name your Waaagh!.

7) Play and lose a game.

8) What did you need?

9) Go purchase.

10) Repeat steps 7-9.

Rywhandar
12-12-2011, 01:42
I like the plain Orc boyz, and feel like using a lot of them, with some boar boyz for some punch. :-)
Other models I know I must include sometime are fanatics, the arachnarok and the mangler squig. Both the model and rules for the last one are awesome.

Been thinking of getting the battalion, but a bit unsure about the spider riders. Fits with the arachnarok though.

As for characters, I like Grimgor and Gorbad, but feel they're a bit expensive to field in early games.

Duke Ramulots
12-12-2011, 02:00
Well, I've been playing Night Goblins for half a year now, and can say that they're great fun. The basic model is awesome even if it is pretty mono-pose. Throw in the fanatics (one of the greatest units in the game with the ability to wreck either player's units. :D ), Squig Herds and Hoppers and maybe some Trolls, and you've got a nice list. Gobbo units being dirt cheap it is a bit slow to build large lists, but pure goblins lists are awesome. Anything that says it's a goblin unit is worth trying out. :D Snotlings are fun too.

Competition-wise you may want to use Savage Orcs and Black Orcs. I don't have much experience with Orcs myself, but I'm sure someone will help with them any minute. ;)

Nailed it on the head there. I will add though, Orc n Goblins can also use tons(well four Wyvern, Giant, mangler, and Arak) of big monsters that are fun.

Duke Ramulots
12-12-2011, 02:02
I like the plain Orc boyz, and feel like using a lot of them, with some boar boyz for some punch. :-)
Other models I know I must include sometime are fanatics, the arachnarok and the mangler squig. Both the model and rules for the last one are awesome.

Been thinking of getting the battalion, but a bit unsure about the spider riders. Fits with the arachnarok though.

As for characters, I like Grimgor and Gorbad, but feel they're a bit expensive to field in early games.

I use one large block of regular boyz in all my lists. They tend to be very good at holding a unit in place and if you put a killy lord with them they will even win you some combats.

AlphariusOmegon20
12-12-2011, 05:21

4) Get a Shaman.

5) Get a second "block" unit (another core, or black orcs, or a block of trolls). Make sure this unit occupies as many square inches as your first unit.

6) Name your Waaagh!.

7) Play and lose a game.

8) What did you need?

9) Go purchase.

10) Repeat steps 7-9.

That has to be the most overly simplistic way to start an O&G army....

It's also the most true statement and the best way.

calnen
12-12-2011, 20:58

4) Get a Shaman.

6) Name your Waaagh!.

7) Play and lose a game.

8) What did you need?

9) Go purchase.

10) Repeat steps 7-9.

Sounds about right!

Paint as you go! If you buy 3000 points of Orcs before you paint any, you'll get depressed just looking at them.

Grimdesign
13-12-2011, 02:51

4) Get a Shaman.

6) Name your Waaagh!.

7) Play and lose a game.

8) What did you need?

9) Go purchase.

10) Repeat steps 7-9.

I use a similar method when mixing drinks!

Jind_Singh
13-12-2011, 07:56
If you like Orc Boyz and fanatics you'll LOVE the battle box then!

The nice thing about the spider riders is if you want to take the big lovely Spider Queen herself, which you rightly should, it's just feeling epic and awesome to take some of her worshipers with her!

And in the future if GW hopefully do a Snagla model then the spiders will be a must have for any army - that character is INSANE and GREAT! (Ambush, devastating charge, cause fear - what's NOT to like about that unit huh!).

Grab 2 of the battle boxes to start your army off right - build them as:

30 Orc Boyz BIG UNS, full command, your option of choppa/shield (my preference any day of the week!) or additional choppas. MAGIC BANNER

40 Goblins with full command, bows/shields, 3 nasty skulkers

10 Spider Riders, full command, bows (Deff Creepas!)

5 Spider Riders, bows, musician

5 Spider Riders, bows, musician

10 Boar Boyz, full command, spears & shields, MAGIC BANNER

WITHOUT MAGIC BANNERS that's a nice 1090 points!!!

With a Spider it becomes 1445 points - and we still need characters and Night Goblins (Unit of 40 will set you back 245pts with 2 fanatics, netters, full command).

At this point you can play around with unit sizes, upgrades, drop some things here and there, but you basically have a really nice 2000 point army all for:

2 Battalions
Arachnork Spider
2 Night Goblin regiments
Fanatics box
Orc Character box

IF YOU ARE LUCKY you may get some Battle for Skull Pass Night Goblins (40 Spears, 20 archers). Look for deals elsewhere too and you're laughing! Some stores still carry the Orc Army Brigades - another way to get models for better pricing.

But to begin with just the two Battalions and some characters - write up a 1500 point list and off you go! Slowly add the other units as you get time/more games/more time to splash some paint on models.