PDA

View Full Version : Eldar Vampire (Forgeworld) questions

Hendarion
09-12-2011, 15:06
Hi.

I wondered, does the Forgeworld Eldar Vampire come with some kind of flying base?

And how actually do troops get in or out of this thing? The doors are like 4 "meters" above the ground. So if Eldar aren't some kind of uber-jump-masters which I didn't read so far, how does this work?

/discuss

Vaktathi
09-12-2011, 16:36
Hi.

I wondered, does the Forgeworld Eldar Vampire come with some kind of flying base? Just got my Vampire Hunter, no it does not, you not only have to make your own but also fashion some sort of way to fix it to the model as there's no "mount" really for a stand as there is on like the Valkyrie.

And how actually do troops get in or out of this thing? The doors are like 4 "meters" above the ground. So if Eldar aren't some kind of uber-jump-masters which I didn't read so far, how does this work? The flyer rules cover that IIRC, but if they don't treat it like a Valk and just 2" from whatever base you're using.

Sildani
09-12-2011, 17:37
Don't have a Vampire myself, but I've spent years researching them. It might come with the Valkyrie flight stand, but that won't support its weight. I've seen Vampires with inch-thick acrylic rod or 1/8th inch steel rod.

As for the ramp thing, there's no explanation. I recommend getting a Vampire Hunter though, because instead of the rear door it has a long, thin ramp that extends the length of the belly, with the hinge near the nose. That'll reach the ground!

Hendarion
10-12-2011, 09:20
Well, I don't wanna change the model or buy another one. Also I'm not bothered about the rules, it is more of a "fluff" question and how Eldar are supposed to get out or in. I just don't see that being possible :p

The thing about the stand is a bit of a shame though :( No clue yet how to fix a glass-rot to the model or to the base.

Sgt John Keel
10-12-2011, 14:51
The flyer rules cover that IIRC, but if they don't treat it like a Valk and just 2" from whatever base you're using.

I'm going off memory here, but I do believe non-jump infantry can only exit flyers when in hover mode, and the Vampire doesn't have that rule.

As for the fluff, I'm sure the Eldar have boarding stairs too.

Splog
10-12-2011, 15:56
I'm going off memory here, but I do believe non-jump infantry can only exit flyers when in hover mode, and the Vampire doesn't have that rule.

As for the fluff, I'm sure the Eldar have boarding stairs too.

Yup, the Vampire is a bit limited in what it can actually usefully transport (well lots of things can be transported, they just can't get out). Hopefully this will be corrected in IA11 / it will become useful when used with corsairs.

Sildani
10-12-2011, 17:23
The thing about the stand is a bit of a shame though :( No clue yet how to fix a glass-rot to the model or to the base.

You're going to have to drill a hole into the model at its center of gravity, or two smaller ones on either side of it. Drill into the base as well and use the strongest epoxy you can find to attach the rod on either end.

Hendarion
11-12-2011, 09:09

Every flyer has the hover-mode.

@Splog: What shall be corrected? I don't see any issues with the Vampire Raider atm.

@Sildani: Yea, that's probably what I'll try. I guess though the base does need to be a bit thicker than I'd like it to be. Or I gotta hide the thickness in a rock or something.

Sildani
11-12-2011, 14:14
You have the right idea. Or, do what I saw someone else do and put the rod through a solid lead ingot.

Hendarion
11-12-2011, 14:20
Haha. I don't have any, but also I doubt I wanna transport it very often ;)

I guess the bigger problem though will be to fix it to the model.

Splog
11-12-2011, 14:28
Every flyer has the hover-mode.

@Splog: What shall be corrected? I don't see any issues with the Vampire Raider atm.

I believe you are incorrect. p94 of the Apocalypse rulebook / p124 of the Forgeworld Imperial Armour Apocalypse 2nd edition says about vehicles able to hover:

"These extremely flexible vehicles have the Hover mode special rule on their datasheet".

The Vampire does not mention the Hover special rule on it's datasheet. Some of the other flyers in the same book, e.g. the Manta, do mention the Hover special rule.

The rules also go on to talk about how non-jump infantry can only disembark from a flyer if it has the hover mode, which indicates that not all flyers that are transports are intended to have a hover mode.

greenmtvince
12-12-2011, 16:01
The Vampire Raider doesn't have the Hover Mode rule but it should. This is a typo :)

They're very responsive to customer requests and rules clarifications there.

Finn
12-12-2011, 17:20
The Vampire I've seen, by a pretty experienced modeler/regular Forgeworld buyer, had a hole drilled (presumably at center of gravity) with a brass rod stuck into it, and affixed to something more stable on the base than relying on a hole that can only be about 1/8" thick (such as coming out of the corner of a ruined wall, or a post, anything on a scenic base really).

Sgt John Keel
12-12-2011, 18:06
They're very responsive to customer requests and rules clarifications there.

Did they fix it for Imperial Armour Apocalypse Second Edition?

greenmtvince
12-12-2011, 19:14
No, it wasn't fixed. The OP on Facebook was asking about the IA:A2 entry. That may go in a later FAQ, but for now, I'd just keep a screenshot of that post.

Sgt John Keel
12-12-2011, 20:33
No, it wasn't fixed. The OP on Facebook was asking about the IA:A2 entry. That may go in a later FAQ, but for now, I'd just keep a screenshot of that post.

Yeah, I saw that. I just assumed they mis-remembered which book it was in, since IA:A2 is still on sale and is not IA:A second edition.

But seriously, that's just plain disrespectful toward the customer of not fixing the error in a book mostly dedicated to revising old things. I'm sure someone must have noticed in the four years between editions. (I'm also a bit upset about the still nonsensical points cost of most Imperial Guard superheavies relative to the tanks in the Codex proper, but I digress.)