PDA

View Full Version : Boar Boys

GreenSpeed
10-12-2011, 16:00
Im going to a tournament soon with my orcs and am thinking about taking a unit of 6 boar boys with full command and the flaming banner. I feel like it could be a mobile unit that could help with Hydra and other monster hunting. Has anyone used this type of unit or played against it? Is it worth taking?

stashman
10-12-2011, 16:42
6 is a easy to kill unit if you face heavy shooting.

10-12 is safer, but more expensive.

BigbyWolf
10-12-2011, 16:55
I usually take one just like that (or upgraded to Big Un's depending on the list). Most of my army revolves around big units of infantry and a fat block of trolls, so it is nice to have something other than chariots to use to "troubleshoot".

russellmoo
10-12-2011, 19:44
6 isn't enough to kill a hydra or HPA- but 10 might just do the job-

BattleofLund
10-12-2011, 20:10
My mind wanders, I forget. Is one regular Boar Boyz unit allowed a magic banner or do they have to be Big 'Unz?

In any case, I would go for a bigger unit if it was intended to hunt monsters. (And doubly so if they are to have expensive command upgrades et cetera)

RPG
10-12-2011, 21:50
definitly go for a 12 unit of boar riders. 6 is to little and to easy to kill.

GreenSpeed
11-12-2011, 00:25
Has anyone ever used a cheap 5 man unit with musician with any success?

BigbyWolf
11-12-2011, 01:19
Has anyone ever used a cheap 5 man unit with musician with any success?

I prefer them for War Machine hunters. ASF/ hatred and high WS and toughness (Elves, Dwarves, etc) combined with a goblins low toughness means that Wolf Riders and Spiders can often fail against some war machines or small units of missile troops. Small units of vanilla boars stand a much better chance, and aren't that much more expensive (30 points more than wolves, and 15 more than Spiders), they may lack a bit of speed and manoeuvrability (wall-crawlers), but high toughness, far better AS and Choppas make up for this.

GreenSpeed
11-12-2011, 15:11
Instead of the small minimum unit I'm considering taking a normal big boss on a boar with an enchanted shield, dawnstone and a sword of battle. He's more mobile and has better leadership. But most importantly he gives me something mobile with magical attacks. As orcs and goblins have a hard time dealing with eathereals.

Malduran
11-12-2011, 18:26
I have used the small boar boy unit with bigboss in it before and it proved to be a usefull when facing slow armies that sont focus on shooting (few and far between) but in most games they either got shot, killed by mass infintry or just werent big enough to kill a monster in one turn. Great war machine hunters but expensive. If you do keep them be very carefull and only ever hit a unit in the flank or rear otherwise you wasted the points.