PDA

View Full Version : Starting Wood Elves - Forest Spirits

Thoth
20-04-2006, 02:14
I'm planning to start up a Wood Elves list with a *heavy* focus on Forest Spirits, and just a few elves for fun and flavor. I'd like to have a fun, moderately competetive list that I can play with down at the LGS, and I usually like my tactics and army build to be slightly unconventional.

I'm hoping to pick up some advice about using the units that appeal to me, and some general tactical advantages / weaknesses of using lots of Forest Spirits in a list. Thanks in advance.

The things I like:

Lone Elves - basically, I like the idea of having the odd character or two to help emphasize that the army is made up of non-elven units (a classic artistic technique - make an exception to show the overwhelming rule).

Also, with an elven character or two, I have the option of using some of the prettiest models in the line (like the noble with horned helm and bow, the spellsinger with a stave), as well as some dead-sexy magic items.

A neat trick I didn't think about until I saw a club mate using it down at the LGS was to take a Wild Rider Kindred model (on Great Stag) and let them lead forest spirits. This idea seems like fun to me, and I'll try and fit it in at some point.

Treemen (including Ancients) - a no-brainer. Seriously, who doesn't like the idea of a giant ambulatory tree smashing the stuffing out of everything in sight?

It seems like a Treeman in the right place could do horrendous damage to pretty much any opposing army, but supporting them with some good CR on the charge appears to be a must. Looks like a really nice plce to put An Annoyance of Netlings in order to keep the big guy from taking a lot of wounds in a challenge.

Branchwraiths - another no-brainer. They may not be great spellcasters, but an extra Tree-Singing can't hurt. Also, they seem like the perfect caddies for nifty things like A Pageant of Shrikes or A Cluster of Radiants. For the points, they also seem like they could wipe the floor with the odd mage, BSB, or unit champ.

Also - Drycha. I really like the model and the background, but is she an effective general? Is her special deployment ability really as cool as it sounds, or is it just no good compared to deploying things normally and using Tree-Singing to get across the board safely?

Dryads - again, duh. Very nasty skirmishers... but how does one deal with the lack of ranks, banner, and numbers for CR?

Should units be large, small, or other? 12 models per unit seems like an easy number (since that's how they're packaged), but since they skirmish, should I bother going over 8?

Treekin - they're like Ogres... only they have good saves, an aura save, and they're immune to psychology. These guys look like a bargain to me. Again, the question of unit size comes into play - my gut is telling me that 4 is a good number.

Great Eagles - they may not actually be Forest Spirits, but I think they fit thematically with the army, and I like the idea of a bloody great bird soaring down and snatching up a couple of hapless warmachine crew (helps to keep those cannonballs away from the Treeman) or harrassing ranked infantry by march-blocking them (allowing me to exploit the mobility of my army).

#edit: typos#

KingintheWoods
20-04-2006, 10:59
I'm planning to start up a Wood Elves list with a *heavy* focus on Forest Spirits, and just a few elves for fun and flavor. I'd like to have a fun, moderately competetive list that I can play with down at the LGS, and I usually like my tactics and army build to be slightly unconventional.

I'm hoping to pick up some advice about using the units that appeal to me, and some general tactical advantages / weaknesses of using lots of Forest Spirits in a list. Thanks in advance.

The things I like:

Lone Elves - basically, I like the idea of having the odd character or two to help emphasize that the army is made up of non-elven units (a classic artistic technique - make an exception to show the overwhelming rule).

Also, with an elven character or two, I have the option of using some of the prettiest models in the line (like the noble with horned helm and bow, the spellsinger with a stave), as well as some dead-sexy magic items.

A neat trick I didn't think about until I saw a club mate using it down at the LGS was to take a Wild Rider Kindred model (on Great Stag) and let them lead forest spirits. This idea seems like fun to me, and I'll try and fit it in at some point.

** I've never thought about that, though now that i do i think that could look pretty cool. However, if your just looking to add a couple of elvish characters then i'd suggest mages, they give you the magical power your army will otherwise be lacking, and from a fluff perspective it makes more sense to have mages surrounded by forest spirits than it does to have a noble.

Treemen (including Ancients) - a no-brainer. Seriously, who doesn't like the idea of a giant ambulatory tree smashing the stuffing out of everything in sight?

It seems like a Treeman in the right place could do horrendous damage to pretty much any opposing army, but supporting them with some good CR on the charge appears to be a must. Looks like a really nice plce to put An Annoyance of Netlings in order to keep the big guy from taking a lot of wounds in a challenge.

** Yeah, the annoyance is pretty standard kit for the big guy. But since a forest spirit army wont be able to support him with ranks the key is to either get the big man into a flank, or get something else to flank charge the same enemy unit, thus negating the bonus of their ranks (even dryads work for this because their kills should offset the benefits of a block of ranked infantry, thus allowing the treeman to win the combat for you)

Branchwraiths - another no-brainer. They may not be great spellcasters, but an extra Tree-Singing can't hurt. Also, they seem like the perfect caddies for nifty things like A Pageant of Shrikes or A Cluster of Radiants. For the points, they also seem like they could wipe the floor with the odd mage, BSB, or unit champ.

Also - Drycha. I really like the model and the background, but is she an effective general? Is her special deployment ability really as cool as it sounds, or is it just no good compared to deploying things normally and using Tree-Singing to get across the board safely?

I love branchwraiths, i also love the blight of terrors. Between that, and two treeman causing terror you can often send a large portion of the enemy army running without even hitting them. I've never used drycha so cant comment, the model is excellent though.

[Dryads - again, duh. Very nasty skirmishers... but how does one deal with the lack of ranks, banner, and numbers for CR?

Should units be large, small, or other? 12 models per unit seems like an easy number (since that's how they're packaged), but since they skirmish, should I bother going over 8?
I'd favour units of 8, they are small enough to get just about anywhere and come in at less than 100 points. Also, if 8 isnt going to get the job done it shouldnt be too hard to combine the charges from 2 units, and get 16 models in against 2 sides of the enemy unit.

[Treekin - they're like Ogres... only they have good saves, an aura save, and they're immune to psychology. These guys look like a bargain to me. Again, the question of unit size comes into play - my gut is telling me that 4 is a good number.
4 is definately the magic number, it is for all ogre sized models (except ogres themselves for some reason). These guys should be able to take on anything thats thrown at them, but remember to avoid letting them get flanked at all cost, having only one treekin fighting for the survival of a 200 point unit is not an enviable position to be in.

[Great Eagles - they may not actually be Forest Spirits, but I think they fit thematically with the army, and I like the idea of a bloody great bird soaring down and snatching up a couple of hapless warmachine crew (helps to keep those cannonballs away from the Treeman) or harrassing ranked infantry by march-blocking them (allowing me to exploit the mobility of my army).

Great eagles rule, unfortunately the problem with taking them in a forest spirit armt is it stops you from fielding treeman. If your happy enough with just a single treeman ancient though you should definately field a great eagle, they are great at so many things. Personally i never leave home without at least 2 of these guys.

Well there you go, hopefully something in there is useful, good luck with the army. Also i'm curious, how do you plan on converting your stag? or are you just planning to use the GW one when its released?